FB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider 68

2011 has been another great for the Raiders. As I reflect upon 2011 and look forward to 2012, it is how you play the game that always matters and the Raiders have set a standard that will always be highly regarded in all of college football! :)
13 time Division III National Champions

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

Mount Union Christmas Quiz:

Who holds the record for the most passing yards in a single season?  (Don't look it up)

I was surprised when I happened upon this stat today while looking up something else.
National Champions - 13: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017

reality check

KDad

Not going to look it up but I'd guess that like some other Mount records, the guy at the top of the list is in fact a beneficiary of the playoffs counting towards season stats when some of the earlier guys only got to count their ten game totals.
OAC Champs: 1942 (one title ties us with Ohio State)
OAC Runners-Up: 2017, 2016, 2015, 2010, 2009, 2005, 2004, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1982, 1941 (Stupid Mount Union!)
MOL Champs: 1952, 1950

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

Quote from: reality check on December 25, 2011, 04:52:23 PM
KDad

Not going to look it up but I'd guess that like some other Mount records, the guy at the top of the list is in fact a beneficiary of the playoffs counting towards season stats when some of the earlier guys only got to count their ten game totals.

Jim Ballard is #5 (only 625 yards behind the leader), and that was before playoff games counted.  #1-4 are from the playoff game stats counting era though.
National Champions - 13: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017

Raider 68

Quote from: Kira & Jaxon's Dad on December 25, 2011, 04:17:10 PM

Who holds the record for the most passing yards in a single season?  (Don't look it up)

I was surprised when I happened upon this stat today while looking up something else.

K & J's Dad,

My guess is Bill Borchert, or a second guess would be Greg Micheli! :)

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

Quote from: Raider 68 on December 25, 2011, 09:01:24 PM
Quote from: Kira & Jaxon's Dad on December 25, 2011, 04:17:10 PM

K & J's Dad,

My guess is Bill Borchert, or a second guess would be Greg Micheli! :)

Nope on both, it is Kurt Rocco:

1.  Rocco - 3,929
2.  Micheli - 3,743
3.  Jorris - 3,736
4.  Micheli - 3,515
5.  Ballard - 3,304

Found the record that included NCAA playoffs:

Jim Ballard - 4,572

BaseballMom22

Happy Holidays to one and all!

Congratulations to UMU on a great season, and a solid effort in the championship.  Now that the season is over and everyone has had time to reflect, I am posing a question to the DIII football fans out there who are more knowledgeable than I: Which team in the OAC, other than Mount, is the closest to being able to compete at the national level, and what will it take to get there?

I pose this question because the team that I am most familiar with, Heidelberg, had 2 OAC losses, 1 to B-W in overtime, and a blowout to Mount. An 8-2 record is great for them, they played some fantastic games and laid down some smack of their own, but are obviously not close to being able to compete with the big dawgs.

Raider 68

Quote from: BaseballMom22 on December 26, 2011, 02:31:49 PM
Happy Holidays to one and all!

Congratulations to UMU on a great season, and a solid effort in the championship.  Now that the season is over and everyone has had time to reflect, I am posing a question to the DIII football fans out there who are more knowledgeable than I: Which team in the OAC, other than Mount, is the closest to being able to compete at the national level, and what will it take to get there?

I pose this question because the team that I am most familiar with, Heidelberg, had 2 OAC losses, 1 to B-W in overtime, and a blowout to Mount. An 8-2 record is great for them, they played some fantastic games and laid down some smack of their own, but are obviously not close to being able to compete with the big dawgs.

BaseballMom22,

This is a great question depending what year one asks it.  Going into 2012, many would think Heidelberg, due to the increased improvement under Coach Hallet. B-W returns many starters next year and ONU will be better. Not sure how much improvement for Capital and Otterbein. To compete on a national level, it will take the foundation of a very good program and strategy.
ONU has been there along with Capital before, but IMHO, I would pick them in this order for 2012: :). Beyond 2012, I would rank them differently.

1. Baldwin- Wallace
2. Heidelberg
3. ONU

HScoach

Mom22:  Welcome aboard.

In my opinion, Heidelberg is lacking the line play to compete with the big boys, but they're getting better.  Probably 2 years away from being a playoff team.  I would think an 7-3 or 8-2 record next year would be considered a success.  Proving that '11 wasn't a fluke and continuing the growth and stability that Hallett built.  They already have the best RB in the conference and a very good, young QB to build around.  The 2013 season for H'berg is going to be a fun one.

B-W is my pick for #2 next year simply because they have what Heidi lacks.   Strong O and D lines.  B-W is not going to wow you with their skill people, but they play hard at the point of attack and typically have one of the OAC's best defenses.

ONU continues to be disappointing and clinging to the '05 shocker.  Personally I'm very curious to see what Dean Paul does the next couple years.  Do they continue to just be average, or can they climb up the OAC ladder to push for a playoff spot?  Paul has a solid team, but they severely lack playmakers at the skill positions to be a legitimate threat.   Of all the OAC teams over the last couple years, none have been more disappointing than ONU.

Capital, John Carroll and Otterbein?  Very average and without a stub QB or TB transfer will remain there.

Etta and Musky?  Meh.

Wilma?  Please do us all a favor and follow thru with your threats to leave.  We'd all be better off  without you.
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

The_end_of_overlook

To the Mount Faithful,
     I have held this post off for a couple weeks now. And I did so knowing it will upset some and bother others. However over my (and some others who I played with) past trip to Salem I encountered something I never thought I would at a Mount game. This is simply an observatgion and opinion of myself and many others may disagree, and I hope this is the case I hope I just happened to sit in the wrong place at the wrong time.  Well here goes...
     It appears that the entitlement age is among us at UMU. For many years many complained about the fans at Mount because they didn't cheer, they were old, or expected the success. As a player that can be hard because only the coaches and players truely know the hard work and sacrifce that go into the success that the Raiders have had. During the game in section A of the UMU side of the stadium, I got to sit near the players who traveled and didn't dress, some injured players, and their families. For a hot minute I thought I was at a high school game. It didn't take long for the parents and the fans to second guess the coaches and their play calling, screaming and yelling about how dumb each call was and what they should had done. Mahybe I am a sheltered UMU fan but when in the world did it become ok to second guess a coach and staff like Coach Kerhes. Honestly it makes me sick to here comments like " it seems like the coaches are giving up", or "why do we keep running up the middle when the outside is open". I understand people will have their own opinion but I never thought the fans and the parents of players would turn ingto these fans. It almost makes me wish for the days of the old fans sitting on their hands just expecting a win every game.  Some of these parents even wore clothing with their players names and numbers on it. At one point we actually had to confront several fans around us about their arrogance and ignorance.  I know this may have become a ramble but this is not High School or Little League football. These coaches know what they are doing.
     Rant # 2, Now for the injured player(s) and those players who traveled but didn't dress. As a player for Mount Union I can assure you that you have heard Coach Kerhes say "act like you have been there, and if you're not sure how that is, then watch the older players who have been there". Well some of the injured players, and undressed players that were acting like clowns were upper classman, and you set a poor example for those younger players. At one point one of the players on crutches threw them down and began to pace up and down the bleachers yelling "this is the national f*cking Champiosnhip game, are we are trying to f*cking lose", it was bad enough their were young children around, but lets look at it this way, you represent your team and the school attend, you should act like it.  And now on the the players who were in the stands, you should have learned one thing from the past couple Stagg Bowls,IT IS NOT YOUR JOB TO PUBLICLY CRITICIZE YOUR TEAM MATES!!!!!!!!!! As players you should know that every player out there on that field and those who didn't get to dress want to win that game. The last thing they need to hear from the stands is one of their team mates belittling them and their play. For God's sake support your team, you played with a team who was expected to win this game with out much of a challenge. However the players on the field gave it their all and played hard. Did they win no, but they played hard, there are somethings you can not control but your effort is one, and as a players you shouldn't question the want and will to win of other players on your team.
     I know many of you who read this will assume I am some old guy in my 70's who never played. Well for those of you who know me, know that isn't the case. I am not one of those ex-players who thinks things are different just because my days are over. The only thing that I think has changed is the attitude of entitlement that has some how transferred to our players and parents (not all) that I got to sit by. Now that my rant is officially over I will leave you with this, Mount Union football has always been the centerfold for class, win or lose as a player you are respresenting your TEAM and your SCHOOL. Every action you make will be criticized whether you are on the field or in the bleachers.

02 Warhawk

I know I'm not a Mount Faithful, but I wouldn't mind weighing in here.

Rant #1: I wouldn't look too much into what was said in the stands a couple of weeks ago. I imagine there's some UMU fans that take winning for granted, no matter the game/situation. Some are too thick headed to wrap their heads around another team actually being better than them (which is rarely the case). However, when they do lose they assume it's because of the coaching staff (or players) messing up. Rather than giving credit where credit is due (i.e. the other sideline). Which, like you said, is stupid. Coaching doesn't get much better than LK and company.

Rant #2: I think that boils down to what Rant #1 is about. I suppose when players come to Mount they expect to be national champions each year, anything else is just a failure. Of course that's not true for every player I assume. But based on what UMU has accomplished since 1993, it's easy to get caught up in the NEXT Mount Union national championship.

badgerwarhawk

Did you hear any of them say that their kid was better than and should have been playing instead of some other player?  That's always a favorite.  ;)
"Just think twice is my only advice."

02 Warhawk

Quote from: badgerwarhawk on December 27, 2011, 03:52:58 PM
Did you hear any of them say that their kid was better than and should have been playing instead of some other player?  That's always a favorite.  ;)

I've seen players' fathers post on here saying pretty much exactly that. It's a shame....

section13raiderfan

Hey OVERLOOK, its called venting. Its the byproduct of frustration and disappointment. Your post was a pretty good example of it. We all do it on selective occasions. Thankfully, its forgivable. Im not sure if the other side of the coin is any better, its called smugness. I have revelled in the oppositions frustration a time or two myself. It felt good at the time, but i regret it somehow. Those players or parents felt pretty badly at the time Im sure....but I bet they will admit it now that they were wrong. Let em off the hook this time. Its Xmas!

beenhit2hard

Well said" end of overlook",,you and I have both been there. It is hard for me to ba a fan now,,because like you say ,some fans can really screw it up .

When I was a first year head coach some one defined a fan to me in the following way. He/she has the price of a ticket,,their butt will fit on 18-20 inch seat,,and they will always know more than the coach!!!

And didn't you line up in the middle,,not at the end of overlook ??