MBB: Northwest Conference

Started by The Show, March 06, 2005, 08:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D O.C.

it really is starting to get old though
Basketball only?
::)

Hoopmeister

Some interesting news for Pirate fans. I have heard from several reliable sources that former George Fox combo guard, 2014 1st team All Conference and 2015 DIII News NWC pre-season POY, AJ Grant is looking to transfer to Whitworth for his senior year. He will get a medical redshirt because of a torn labrum in his right shoulder that required surgery. Having him in their guard roatation will make them even better.

blackhawks4

Quote from: Hoopmeister on March 14, 2015, 04:41:59 PM
Some interesting news for Pirate fans. I have heard from several reliable sources that former George Fox combo guard, 2014 1st team All Conference and 2015 DIII News NWC pre-season POY, AJ Grant is looking to transfer to Whitworth for his senior year. He will get a medical redshirt because of a torn labrum in his right shoulder that required surgery. Having him in their guard roatation will make them even better.

3rd school in 4 years?  Sounds like a solid pickup.

Look at Hayford, huh?!  Stud.

*Found this interesting:  Kentucky elected not to cut down the nets after winning the SEC tournament--not the nets they're looking for.  Seth Greenberg, "They dont hang SEC banners in Kentucky, they hang final 4 banners."  Take note, WW.

*Disclaimer:  The opinion expressed above is not meant to be a comparison of D3 hoops to D1 hoops.  I realize that this is a very confusing matter for many of you. 

Pat Coleman

Welcome to the board. That's an interesting first post! I think it'll take a while for people to know whether that's legit or you're just trying to stir the pot.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

(509)Rat

Quote from: blackhawks4 on March 15, 2015, 04:43:58 PM

3rd school in 4 years?  Sounds like a solid pickup.

Look at Hayford, huh?!  Stud.

*Found this interesting:  Kentucky elected not to cut down the nets after winning the SEC tournament--not the nets they're looking for.  Seth Greenberg, "They dont hang SEC banners in Kentucky, they hang final 4 banners."  Take note, WW.

*Disclaimer:  The opinion expressed above is not meant to be a comparison of D3 hoops to D1 hoops.  I realize that this is a very confusing matter for many of you.

You and Seth Greenberg decide to completely ignore Calipari's interview on why they didn't cut them down? Although cherry picking certain segments/stats/etc has been your MO lately...

I don't know if Grant would be a huge addition with Whitworth bringing back plenty of experience at the guard positions. Of course depth is not a bad thing and I'd love to see him get a shot at Whitworth.

Hayford's success isn't a huge surprise as he was and still is one of the best recruiters in the state at any level...

Andy Jamison - Walla Walla Wildcat

While I'd love to see AJ Grant at Linfield he will help out whatever school he picks.. I've watched him since his early high school days and was dismayed by his picking Whitman given what I knew of both him and Bridgeland.  I didn't think that they would be a good match... they weren't and he left before playing for Whitman.  He then went to his hometown college and had a couple of great years then the head coach was fired (wasn't he the COY the year he got let go?).  The new coach must not have been a good fit either so here he is on his 3rd school... not ideal but at least he can say he attended 33% of the NWC schools.. not many people can say that especially just during their undergrad years!

Was great to see the D1 success of two of our D3 alumni with EWU and OSU women's doing so well...

hopefan

Plane Crash kills 7 in Illinois.... Including 2 staff members at Illinois State University

I quote...
Associate men's basketball coach Torrey Ward and deputy athletic director Aaron Leetch were two of seven people killed in a plane crash Monday night near Bloomington, Ill., Illinois State confirmed in a statement released Tuesday afternoon. The passengers aboard the private plane attended the national title game between Duke and Wisconsin in Indianapolis on Monday night but encountered heavy fog on their flight home.

Leech held different positions within the Illinois State Athletic Department from 2005 to 2011 and from 2013 until his death. In between, he spent two years as the Athletic Director at Whitworth University in Spokane, Washington.

The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

Hoopmeister

I wanted to wait to post again until I heard for certain that he was going to transfer, but after a visit to Spokane this last weekend, AJ Grant posted on his Facebook page today that he will be spending his last year of school and basketball at Whitworth. We will miss watching him play at George Fox, but completely understand why he is leaving. We wish him, and the Pirates, continued success!

Pinecone_Curtain

Quote from: Hoopmeister on April 21, 2015, 04:44:04 PM
I wanted to wait to post again until I heard for certain that he was going to transfer, but after a visit to Spokane this last weekend, AJ Grant posted on his Facebook page today that he will be spending his last year of school and basketball at Whitworth. We will miss watching him play at George Fox, but completely understand why he is leaving. We wish him, and the Pirates, continued success!

Has anyone heard anything else on recruiting? Fox posted their "Commitment Day" stuff a few days ago and it looks like they only got one player, a 6-7 kid from Newberg who was 2nd team all league at his high school. Haven't seen anything from anyone else, so I'm wondering if anyone knows anything.

(509)Rat

Pinecone_Curtain

Quote from: (509)Rat on May 02, 2015, 02:28:18 PM
Some of the new Whitworth players

Bucs reload for '15-16

FWIW, Whitworth basketball posted highlight videos of their recruits here

Worst kept secret on earth is that AJ Grant is coming to Whitworth. The Whitworth basketball account posted his highlight film on their page and under his video wrote that he's Whitworth class of 2016. He's not mentioned in the Whitworth press release, but all indications are that he's a Buc. Bishop looks like a solid prospect. 6-8 lefty and good at sealing off. CJ Johnson looks like another George Valle. Tweener who uses efficiency, craftiness and IQ to get good shots. Looks like a better long-range shooter than Valle. AJ Grant was the pre-season POY last year, and yet Kyle Roach might be the recruit I'm most looking forward to seeing. He looks like he has it all, plus 37 ppg and 10 rpg as a senior isn't bad for a guard. Could Whitworth go to a Kentucky-like platoon rotation next year? Then blackhawk could be right in comparing Whitworth to Kentucky.

Whitman got a prospect today. A kid from Northern California named Ryan Stewart. Apparently he turned down a walk-on offer from Arizona. My favorite part of that article was his final quote about going to Whitman: "They've done very well the last couple of years," he said. "They always have trouble with this school, Whitworth, and they often make it to the championship and lose to them." He sure knows what he's getting into  ;D

Linfield has also announced a recruit. Riley Bruil, the SPSL co-MVP as a junior and averaged 13 ppg as a senior.

A Buc Forever

Ryan Stewart looks long and athletic for a D III center. Could be trouble for a lot of teams.  That said, Ben Bishop is my kind of 6' 8" big man--  http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1804910/highlights/195467381/v2   
I think Ryan is going to find out why WM keeps having trouble with WW unless he spends the summer in the weight room.

Riley Bruil--same kind of guards Linfield already has and is losing with.  Seriously, this new coach had better start recruiting better or LFis going to look like a high school team when they enter the gym.

Kyle Roach--if he gets his shot up higher and kenny love gives Kyle  a few pounds that he lost, Kyle will be an all American.

playball

Can Bishop shoot midrange or is it all at the rim?  Good finisher regardless.

Linfield needs to start recruiting some size.  Some guys between 6'2"-6'5", shooters, good post players, and quick guards that can create space to shoot or pass.  Seems easy enough!

cawcdad

An article in yesterday's Modesto Bee (http://www.modbee.com/sports/college/article21108447.html) reports Rolaun Dunham leaving Whitman and transferring to and walking on at the D-I University of Pacific in Stockton. The article states he must sit a year per NCAA transfer rules.
1.) I thought if you are going from a non scholarship school there is no wait period.
2.) Does Dunham have what it takes to play at a D-I school? Although Pacific was in the cellar of the WCC.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: cawcdad on May 17, 2015, 10:44:08 AM
An article in yesterday's Modesto Bee (http://www.modbee.com/sports/college/article21108447.html) reports Rolaun Dunham leaving Whitman and transferring to and walking on at the D-I University of Pacific in Stockton. The article states he must sit a year per NCAA transfer rules.
1.) I thought if you are going from a non scholarship school there is no wait period.

No, it's the other way around. The rule is that if you transfer "up" (from D3 to D1 or D2, or from D2 to D1), you have to sit out a year. If you transfer "down" (from D1 to D2 or D3, or from D2 to D3), you are immediately eligible. The rule is, among other things, a deterrent to the idea that student-athletes can view themselves as the collegiate equivalent of minor-leaguers moving up the chain. If you view yourself that way, you have to pay a price for it.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell