MBB: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, February 24, 2005, 09:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Same as Above

You're right Greg, as always.  We just like to stir up crap, then wait for your wisdom-ladened post.  Thanks

BlueDevil Bob

There has been alot of great discussion and information posted the past few days about the selection process and I have really enjoyed following it.
Now, not that I really care about D-2, but I was
wondering how their selection process works.Is it pretty much like D-1 or somewhere in between D-1 and D-3?

Titan 2000

"Same as Above" is washing Sager's cars this weekend.

Mr. Ypsi

T2K,

I'm pretty sure that Greg doesn't have a car - you may need to come up with a different 'double' put-down!

Greg (or Pat, or anyone),

Think there would be ANY chance of an 'adjacent region' rule (to count as 'in-region') besides the 200-mile rule?  It would really be great to see more CCIW-WIAC action, as well as MIAA, OAC, etc.  It would be great to see Wittenberg, Wooster, and IWU be able to play annually, and fight out the significance of 'most all-time wins' more directly!

It would certainly be a HUGE boost to West and South teams for whom the 200-mile rule is pretty irrelevant.  (200 miles is probably the trip to the grocery store for some of the Texas teams!)

Pat Coleman

Cabonney,

How does that correlate with the Division III philosophy of academics over athletics?

LMC fan

A friend called and said there was a story in the Stevens Point newspaper today about Bennett and the Concordia-Wisconsin vacancy. Any insight here Point fans? Is he retiring? Staying? What's up?

BanditUWSP

UWSP's Bennett downplays connection to vacancy at Concordia....from the Stevens Point Journal today.

http://tinyurl.com/ccpdk" target=_top>http://tinyurl.com/ccpdk

Mr. Ypsi

Pat,

As an academic, I can assure you that I am in favor of the 'academics over athletics' concept!  But would a Saturday evening game in Stevens Point or Bloomington (or Wooster or Holland) really disrupt academics?

I know this is partially addressed by the 'between-semesters exemption', but I've forgotten the specifics on that - is that a FAQ I should have checked, or could you enlighten?

Mr. Ypsi

OMG - I just had four deuces!  Anyone got a poker hand to top that?!  http://discus.d3hoops.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif" ALT=":-)" BORDER=0>

Pat Coleman

The exemption has more steps to go through before it becomes official, so we haven't written about it.

"The Roop"

Academics over athletics, 200 mile rule, I think regardless of what happens there will always be an * for the West and South Regions. Those areas are still prime NAIA country and it's nearly impossible for D3 teams to fill their schedules with D3 games.

Personally I think if you are playing another NCAA school, regardless of division or region, that it should count for something. I seriously doubt that D3 schools would start sending their teams all over the country and miss a bunch of  class time because of a rule change.

Nobody has to miss a class when they play over holiday breaks but the games rarely, if ever, count when it comes to tournament selection criteria. Why not establish some type of point deduction system on the SOSI for missed class days for playing out of region games. That way teams can play who they want, when they want but will know going in that there is a penalty involved.

For example if you missed a day of class to travel and won on the road at a .667 or better team, you would only get points for beating a .500 team. Miss two days and you get points for a >.333/<.500 team, etc.

oldpa

Or, as I have always wanted to do, forget the NCAA tourney, and schedule whatever the schools would like at the end of the season, like a cciw/wiac battle including all teams.

Same as Above

Interesting proposal "Roop".  That would definitely curb any reckless scheduling.  However, most programs operate under a limited budget, so I don't think it would affect the majority.  Plus, how does it affect UAA schools with all of their long travels?  They just need to count every D-III game.  It's not like schools will all of sudden start playing games all over the country.  They'll stay close, mainly because of budget limitations.

Titan, I'm not even going to comment on your "washing cars" statement.  It's too lame.

Gregory Sager

It isn't "nearly impossible" for West and South teams to fill out a D3-oriented slate, Roop. It's just more difficult than it is in the more geographically compact regions.

If the proposed legislation to which Chuck and Pat refer, the "between-semesters exemption" as Chuck called it (all D3 games played by a school within a period of five or more consecutive non-class days count as regional games), is passed by the D3 national convention, it'll get a lot easier for West and South teams (including the WIAC, of course) to fill out their schedules with bona-fide regional games.

"The Roop"

I guess one has to define "nearly impossible". Clearly someone like a Nebraska Wesleyan, with only 6 or 7 D3 games last year, (maybe the year before) didn't put forth much effort in their scheduling.

Please forgive me if I start getting stupid. My weekend was to start at 2:30PM Friday but at 2:00PM I was "requested" to come in to work from 2:00AM-6:00AM this morning. Apparently covering for someone who is in jail, without bail, at the moment. Yikes. Yet I still work there.

OK, lots of posts out. I'll get back to this room sooner or later.