2019 NCAA Tournament

Started by Greek Tragedy, October 06, 2018, 10:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: sac on March 07, 2019, 11:07:42 AM
The NAIA II's first second round game in beautiful Sioux Falls, SD is at 8:30 am Friday between Spring Arbor, MI and Jamestown, ND

The NAIA is opting not to list attendance in its boxscores.

The glory days of getting out of school for the week, driving down to Kansas City with the pep-band and watching the NAIA tourney at Kemper Arena. Stevens Point was in the NAIA for a long time...until about 1997?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Onward on, John Carroll

It appears that Marietta took a private charter to the Sweet Sixteen.  Wow!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BursQVcB9DI/?utm_source=ig_twitter_share&igshid=tk7ip0inbatd

Since I do not think the NCAA pays for private flights, does that mean that Marietta paid the difference between a commercial flight and the charter?  That is a major show of love and commitment by the college and the athletic department.  Let me know if I am missing something or do not understand the expenses reimbursed by the NCAA.  Good luck Etta!

Pat Coleman

It may be that the NCAA couldn't find commercial service for 20-whatever people from Marietta, Ohio, to Rock Island, Illinois.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

ronk

The NAIA II's first second round game in beautiful Sioux Falls, SD is at 8:30 am Friday between Spring Arbor, MI and Jamestown, ND

At least the facility is great; I watched some of the D2 women's basketball championship from there last year.

Smitty Oom

Quote from: ronk on March 07, 2019, 06:36:09 PM

At least the facility is great; I watched some of the D2 women's basketball championship from there last year.

Sioux Falls is actually a great town (maybe not at this point in the year) and ronk is correct, the Pentagon is a great place to take in/play a basketball game.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Onward on, John Carroll on March 07, 2019, 05:00:22 PM

https://www.instagram.com/p/BursQVcB9DI/?utm_source=ig_twitter_share&igshid=tk7ip0inbatd

Since I do not think the NCAA pays for private flights, does that mean that Marietta paid the difference between a commercial flight and the charter?  That is a major show of love and commitment by the college and the athletic department.  Let me know if I am missing something or do not understand the expenses reimbursed by the NCAA.  Good luck Etta!
Hope women flew on a charter to Brownwood TX (Howard Payne) in 2008 for the 16/8 games.

Titan Q

The NCAA paid for this.  It happens every now and then for sure.

toad22

I'm glad they did, they should!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Titan Q on March 07, 2019, 07:46:54 PM

Yep - it happens when getting commercial flights has become a little too complicated AND when the costs are within reason.

I am told Whitman, who has traveled via charter on a number of occasions (too and from Marietta a few years ago comes to mind), did hope to fly charter this time around ... but the costs were apparently through the roof ... so they flew commercial. They spent the night in Spokane Tuesday and practices at Gonzaga on Wednesday morning. Then boarded a mid-day flight and hop-skipped through Minneapolis (I believe Pat met them there with water and snacks). They arrived in Syracuse around midnight (eastern time) and amazingly were in Clinton in about 90 minutes!
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Gregory Sager

It doesn't surprise me that Whitman got from Syracuse to Clinton in ninety minutes, baggage claim and all. Hancock Airport is very close to the Thruway, and, as bad as upstate winters get, it takes a tremendous snowstorm to overwhelm the Thruway's snow removal fleet. I'll bet that the Thruway was clear this week. It's about an hour from Syracuse to Clinton via the Thruway -- get off at the Westmoreland exit, take Route 233 south right to Clinton. The Hamilton campus is right off of 233. I've taken that ride before.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

sac

Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 07, 2019, 06:57:47 PM

Hope women flew on a charter to Brownwood TX (Howard Payne) in 2008 for the 16/8 games.

Only after Whitworth men flew the same plane from Spokane to Holland for their Sweet 16 at Hope.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 07, 2019, 09:23:42 PM

Yep - it happens when getting commercial flights has become a little too complicated AND when the costs are within reason.

I am told Whitman, who has traveled via charter on a number of occasions (too and from Marietta a few years ago comes to mind), did hope to fly charter this time around ... but the costs were apparently through the roof ... so they flew commercial. They spent the night in Spokane Tuesday and practices at Gonzaga on Wednesday morning. Then boarded a mid-day flight and hop-skipped through Minneapolis (I believe Pat met them there with water and snacks). They arrived in Syracuse around midnight (eastern time) and amazingly were in Clinton in about 90 minutes!

If I still worked for the travel management company, I could have. 😂
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Wooster Booster

Did the NCAA also spring for the rapid construction of an airport in Marietta? ;)

Smitty Oom

Here is my predictions for tomorrow. Comments/Replies/Disagreements/Debates are all welcome before tomorrows games.

At Hamilton
:: CNU over Hamilton - Hamilton is better than they played last weekend, but that is the only time I have seen the Continentals play and I was not that impressed. I think the Captains can take them down on their own home court.

:: Whitman over Williams - Kind of like Hamilton, I have watched Williams in their bad games, so my view on them is probably swayed by that. However, I think Whitman is just too talented and deep for the Ephs, and as people have mentioned on these boards, Williams may lack enough ball handlers against the great press the Blues apply.

At Amherst
:: Amherst over Nichols - I love watching Echevarria play and think the Bison definitely have enough talent to hang with the Mammoths, but my guess is they will fall just a little bit shy of making the Elite 8 as Hixon's squad has been been too solid on both ends of the court for the last half of the season. Home court always helps as well.

:: Swarthmore over Randolph-Macon - This game is probably the one I am most excited for. Swarthmore showed last week that they have the talent and cohesiveness to beat anyone if they bring their A game. Although I am not expecting 80% in the first half, I think Swarthmore wins the battle of the boards by quite a bit and that is the difference in this neutral court game (Swarthmore reb. margin = 9, Randolph Macon reb.margin = 3; Swartmore is incredibly long and athletic, starts 6'0,6'3", 6'3", 6'6", 6'7").

At Augustana
:: Augustana over Wheaton - Francis' amazing career will end, quite fittingly, in Rock Island as Augustana has won all 3 CCIW championships since he entered the conference in 2016-2017 season. Augustana is too deep and too familiar with this team, I am expecting this game to be similar to the other 2 this season.

:: Oswego St over Marietta - The Lakers are great at controlling the pace of play and slowing the game down and grinding it out on the defensive end will favor the Lakers over the Pioneers. The Pios, who lack a star-go-to-scorer unlike the past couple years, like to play a little more uptempo and average 85 ppg, if Oswego can in fact effectively slow down the game I like their chances. Also, a week of rest will greatly favor the Lakers, as they usually only play 6 guys.

At UW-Oshkosh
:: Loras over UW-Oshkosh - You don't need me to tell you guys this, but it is going to be a very good game. As we have seen, Loras is able to beat great teams and have done so all season. A senior laden team with tons of talent is always hard to bet against, but this Oshkosh team is more experienced given their Final Four run last year. Ruggles and DiCanio haven't both been on for the same night for awhile, and I am predicting that changes tomorrow night as they both go for over 25. This will probably go down to the final buzzer.

:: UST over Guilford - Admittedly I do not know much about the Quakers but they are very hot right now, winning the ODAC championship and winning their own hosted pod last weekend. I am still very confused by the success of this years Tommie team, as I do not think there are many great players (Freshman G Anders Nelson and Senior F Connor Bair are probably the only 2) on the team but this team embodies the quote that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. As discussed on the MIAC boards, if the Tommies can play strong Tauer led defense as they did at NWU, they will be tough to beat.

Wooster Booster

Quote from: Smitty Oom on March 07, 2019, 11:19:27 PM
Here is my predictions for tomorrow. Comments/Replies/Disagreements/Debates are all welcome before tomorrows games.

At Hamilton
:: CNU over Hamilton - Hamilton is better than they played last weekend, but that is the only time I have seen the Continentals play and I was not that impressed. I think the Captains can take them down on their own home court.

:: Whitman over Williams - Kind of like Hamilton, I have watched Williams in their bad games, so my view on them is probably swayed by that. However, I think Whitman is just too talented and deep for the Ephs, and as people have mentioned on these boards, Williams may lack enough ball handlers against the great press the Blues apply.

At Amherst
:: Amherst over Nichols - I love watching Echevarria play and think the Bison definitely have enough talent to hang with the Mammoths, but my guess is they will fall just a little bit shy of making the Elite 8 as Hixon's squad has been been too solid on both ends of the court for the last half of the season. Home court always helps as well.

:: Swarthmore over Randolph-Macon - This game is probably the one I am most excited for. Swarthmore showed last week that they have the talent and cohesiveness to beat anyone if they bring their A game. Although I am not expecting 80% in the first half, I think Swarthmore wins the battle of the boards by quite a bit and that is the difference in this neutral court game (Swarthmore reb. margin = 9, Randolph Macon reb.margin = 3; Swartmore is incredibly long and athletic, starts 6'0,6'3", 6'3", 6'6", 6'7").

At Augustana
:: Augustana over Wheaton - Francis' amazing career will end, quite fittingly, in Rock Island as Augustana has won all 3 CCIW championships since he entered the conference in 2016-2017 season. Augustana is too deep and too familiar with this team, I am expecting this game to be similar to the other 3 this season.

:: Oswego St over Marietta - The Lakers are great at controlling the pace of play and slowing the game down and grinding it out on the defensive end will favor the Lakers over the Pioneers. The Pios, who lack a star-go-to-scorer unlike the past couple years, like to play a little more uptempo and average 85 ppg, if Oswego can in fact effectively slow down the game I like their chances. Also, a week of rest will greatly favor the Lakers, as they usually only play 6 guys.

At UW-Oshkosh
:: Loras over UW-Oshkosh - You don't need me to tell you guys this, but it is going to be a very good game. As we have seen, Loras is able to beat great teams and have done so all season. A senior laden team with tons of talent is always hard to bet against, but this Oshkosh team is more experienced given their Final Four run last year. Ruggles and DiCanio haven't both been on on the same night for awhile, and I predicting that changes tomorrow night as they both go for over 25. This will probably go down to the final buzzer.

:: UST over Guilford - Admittedly I do not know much about the Quakers but they are very hot right now, winning the ODAC championship and winning their own hosted pod last weekend. I am still very confused by the success of this years Tommie team, as I do not think there are many great players (Freshman G Anders Nelson and Senior F Connor Bair are probably the only 2) on the team but this team embodies the quote that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. As discussed on the MIAC boards, if the Tommies can play strong Tauer led defense as they did at NWU, they will be tough to beat.

No Karma privileges now so you get a Facebook-style Like instead.  Nice post.