MBB: Centennial Conference

Started by swish, March 01, 2005, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r.w. mcnickels

Congrats to Ursinus on making it to Salem! 

Strange to think that just a few weeks ago, the question was whether the Bears could win a game in NCAAs and get that monkey off their backs.

Quote from: old ends on March 15, 2008, 08:36:58 PM
overtime-this is driving me to drink again----------

old ends, it was keeping me on the edge of my seat also -- and I'm not even an Ursinus fan, just rooting for the conference.

r.w. mcnickels

Bearsfan, Leo -- are you guys making the trip to Salem?  I hope Ursinus has a decent contingent going.

saratoga

Congratulations to Ursinus...looks like its been a true team effort with different people stepping up in clutch situations. All the best in the tournament.

bearsfan1

Quote from: diplomaniac1 on March 15, 2008, 01:59:11 PM

Bearsfan1 -

Not to argue. But I seem to remember a packed house at Ursinus the last time F&M and Ursinus played for the Conference Championship (circa 2004). There had to be 2,000 at that game as well as there were fans standing in the corners near the player benches.

I think it was Luciano's senior year. The Bears also had another big man whose name I don't remember. It may have even been an overtime game. It was a tense, loud, hot, humid (and great atmosphere) even though your Bears beat my Dips that day!

Eric

That was a year before I got to UC and with it being the first year of UC hosting a championship, I can imagine it was packed and loud.  I think the other big man you were talking about was Steve Erfle.

Last night was another incredible atmosphere.  Stands (student section at least) was pretty full a full half hour before the game. Great support.  Whoever said it before the game, Coast Guard was definitely not intimidated by a loud crowd and their fans made their presence known.  Players from Ursinus stepped when needed. Shema and Noonan in the first half.  Shattuck in the beginning of the second half and Cousart with the big FT's at the end.  So awesome.  I am so proud of the players and Coach Small.

I will not be making the trip to Salem because I just started a new job and there is no way I could ever get to the Friday game. 6+ hours is just too far for me for Saturday. I would like to be there but I'll be cheering from home.  Are any of the games on TV?

My Picks
Washington U  vs  Hope - Blind pick for the #1 team in the country
Ursinus             vs Amherst - Going with my heart

D.B. Cooper

Final 4 picks

Amherst: defending champ, 1st time they were in FF they were 4th, look at them now.
Wash U: a guess in what should be two well matched teams

In another thought. I think the CC has shown they are an excellent league & I believe it is the strongest in the region top to bottom in spite of not generally getting much respect. In addition if all players come back the CC could be clearly better next year. I am sure Ursinus will be tough every year, they seem to get most of the top recruits these days, but I would think Gettysburg should be the definite favorite for the CC. Almost all the teams are young & many have no key (or any) seniors graduating this year. The tough cauldron that got UC & GC ready for their tourney runs wil prepare next years team(s) even better for a Final Four trek. My thoughts anyway.

Pat Coleman

Feature on the front page of interest to Final Four participants and fans here.

Faces of a champion
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

old ends

This is an article in the Ct. newspaper about the Coast Guard team.
click here; http://www.theday.com/re.aspx?re=d35f2a22-1987-4dfa-84b0-8593601fafc6

Which is nicer than the local Philadelphia paper about Ursinus.
Click Here: http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/20080316_Ursinus_reaches_Division_III_Final_Four.html

Will get some team stats for your review.

bearsfan1

Quote from: old ends on March 17, 2008, 05:35:27 PM

Which is nicer than the local Philadelphia paper about Ursinus.
Click Here: http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/20080316_Ursinus_reaches_Division_III_Final_Four.html

This does bring up a good point.  I understand the Philadelphia Inquirer is a big paper that has to cover a lot and they have many Division 1 teams to report on but how about a little love for a local team that is on the verge of a possible National Championship in a  major sport.

Leo

Composure and Resilient.

These two words come to my mind when I think of the Ursinus season and the Sectional game against Coast Guard. Helfferich gym was rock in, and Coast Guard fans were in force and made themselves heard throughout the game.

The last 3 mins of the game and throughout overtime, everyone was standing. Ursinus had several surges in the game, but Coast Guard came back. Grant Johnson was shooting lights out in the first half for Coast Guard. Kinda reminded me of Dennis Stanton against F&M on 2/7/04 when he scored 55 pts. Fortunately, Coach Small made half-time adjustments and the team shut him down in the 2nd half.

When Coast Guard went ahead by 2 with 30+ secs left, the team did not panic. Certainly Remy Cousart was the hero that night, sinking 2 free throws with 17 secs left, and then making 2 critical baskets in overtime. Shema, Noooooonan, Hilton, and everyone else played well to support Shattuck. Team play gets you through the tough times. 

Now it is on to Salem and against the defending champs Amherst. D3hoops.com website has a poll on who will win. With 139 fans voting, Ursinus has a 10.8% chance of winning. Amherst and Hope are the prohibitive favorites to meet in the championship game.

In my opinion, the game against Amherst will be a classic duel between Amherst's front court players (in the paint style) versus Ursinus's back court players (shooting and driving style). I look forward to the game and see who imposes their style of game on the other. Obviously, Shema will be the key. The game against Coast Guard was a godsend to the team because Coast Guard played so physical. It showed that Ursinus can play against a physical team, and Shema did well. Amherst's basketball website has some good stats in its release about both teams  (https://cms.amherst.edu/athletics/teams/winter/basketball-m/articles/2007_08/0317_final_four)

I think the other factor is what I have read and heard (on audio) from D3hoops.com about Salem Civic Arena where the sight lines can be somewhat difficult for shooters.

Travelling  1 ½ hours to Ursinus is my max from South Jersey. I may consider going to Salem if McNickels is a good divorce lawyer and can represent me (Pro Bono).  ;)
Old Ends, great work on the articles and postings for us to read. You are the "CNN correspondent" for DIVIII basketball  :)

Go Ursinus Go.

fpc85

Quote from: Leo on March 18, 2008, 09:32:35 AM

In my opinion, the game against Amherst will be a classic duel between Amherst's front court players (in the paint style) versus Ursinus's back court players (shooting and driving style). I look forward to the game and see who imposes their style of game on the other. Obviously, Shema will be the key. The game against Coast Guard was a godsend to the team because Coast Guard played so physical. It showed that Ursinus can play against a physical team, and Shema did well. Amherst's basketball website has some good stats in its release about both teams  (https://cms.amherst.edu/athletics/teams/winter/basketball-m/articles/2007_08/0317_final_four)

Go Ursinus Go.

the jeff bigs are pretty versatile...post or perimeter play they do both well.

Leo

For another perspective about Amherst, go to the Northeast Region and select NESCAC MBB. The postings about the upcoming game with Ursinus (from Amherst fans and non-fans) is interesting reading. I appreciate fpc85's posting here to dispel any notion that Amherst's front court are only big men with no perimeter game. However, if one looks at Amherst's loss to Bowdoin College in their tournament and Bowdoin's roster of "small" players, one has to wonder how Amherst lost such a game. Granted, shooting only 45% to 57% for Bowdoin is the factor, but one would think why Amherst didn't kill Bowdoin with an inside game. Any perspective from the Jeff fans ?

r.w. mcnickels

Amherst seems to have at least five perimeter scoring threats.  I remember when the Jeffs beat F&M in the 2004 Elite Eight, it seemed like most players in Hixon's lineup were capable of the deep shot. 

That said I think it's dangerous to underestimate Ursinus -- one poster on the NESCAC board says Amherst should win "with ease."  The Bears have proven they can beat NESCAC teams this year, and although Amherst is a step above Middlebury and Trinity, I think Small will have his team ready on Friday night.

r.w. mcnickels

Quote from: Leo on March 18, 2008, 09:32:35 AM
Travelling  1 ½ hours to Ursinus is my max from South Jersey. I may consider going to Salem if McNickels is a good divorce lawyer and can represent me (Pro Bono).  ;)

I think you should roll the dice, Leo.  It's worth it just to see the atmosphere in Salem, and especially if your team wins.  Maybe the Ursinus athletic department can chip in to help with your legal fees...   ;D

La Verdad

Quote from: Leo on March 18, 2008, 11:36:08 AM
Granted, shooting only 45% to 57% for Bowdoin is the factor, but one would think why Amherst didn't kill Bowdoin with an inside game. Any perspective from the Jeff fans ?

Bowdoin was pretty creative on defense that night, but for the most part they just packed it in with a 2-3 zone, making it difficult for the amherst bigs to get decent looks.  That, coupled with a poor shooting night (the 4 senior starters were combined 11-35), ultimately led to the loss.  If ya'll are looking at the stats trying to get a handle on Amherst's team, you should consider this game an outlier.

You'll have to forgive the posters on the nescac board who seem to be taking Ursinus lightly, I assure you Coach Hixon and his squad will do no such thing.