MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndOne

Quote from: Gregory Sager on June 20, 2015, 09:02:33 PM
Quote from: AndOne on June 19, 2015, 08:19:57 PM
Carthage seems to have added only guards to its squad, and North Park appears very likely, with the possible exception of the Swedish import, to have done the same. Wheres the beef?  ;)

You're correct in assuming that Adam Sönnerås is a small forward.

NPU will have more additions forthcoming. They will mostly be of the transfer variety, given that summer is traditionally the time of year when a lot of transfers tend to emerge. Two of them have already put in deposits:

Darius Brown (jr), 6'3, Belvidere, IL (Belvidere) / Rock Valley CC
John Lorenz (jr), 6'2, Elk Grove Village, IL (Elk Grove) / Harper

I'm pretty sure that NPU will be adding a big or two.

Darius Brown @ Rock Valley CC in 2014-15:
2.4 PPG, 2.2 RPG, 0.4 APG, FG%-67.3, FT%_65.0%, No 3pt%

John Lorenz @ Harper CC in 2012-2013:
8.7 PPG, 3.8 RPG, 1.7 APG, FG%-37.0, 3pt%-37.0, FT%-71.4
Was said to have committed to IL Inst of Technology for 2013-14, but it looks like he never played there or possibly anywhere else since 2012-2013.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: AndOne on June 22, 2015, 02:33:14 PM
Was said to have committed to IL Inst of Technology for 2013-14, but it looks like he never played there or possibly anywhere else since 2012-2013.

Lorenz is a great example of why I say that in D3 verbal declarations, even when they're put into print, are not bona-fide proof when it comes to making recruiting lists like Bob's. Kids change their minds. Lorenz changed his mind shortly after the Harper press release you've just cited was put out. He decided to pass on IIT and instead join his Harper teammate Garrett Gatz at NPU, and his tuition deposit's actually been in North Park's hands for two years now. However, he tore his labrum in August of 2013 and North Park allowed him to defer his enrollment for a year. So he was set to finally become a Viking last year -- but, again, he was the unlucky victim of a major injury, as he tore his ACL. He again deferred his enrollment. He's now supposedly healthy and is ready to become a Viking at last. Given his injury history, though, I'm not expecting much from him.

As for Darius Brown, he's a dramatically undersized inside player. He's not only 6'3, he was also only listed at 180 pounds last season. Tom Slyder likes his heart, his energy, and his mental makeup, but, given the extreme limitations of Brown's size, I'm not expecting much from him, either.

Of course, I'm enthusiastically willing to be proven wrong by either, or both, gentlemen. ;)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

AndOne

Quote from: NCC on June 21, 2015, 10:54:14 AM
Mark also left out our newest recruit from his list. He must not be aware of the 6'8 D2 transfer that committed this week. :)

If you're talking about the 6'8" D2 transfer that was a 2014 IBCA Special Mention All-State player, and was on full scholarship and started 64% of his D2 team's games last year while averaging 23 minutes per game, 8.1 PPG, and 4.5 RPG, I AM aware.  8-)
However, I am also aware that the young gentleman in question has yet neither deposited nor registered. Accordingly, both protocol and common sense preclude me from formal identification until at least one of the aforementioned processes has been consummated.  ;D

AndOne

Quote from: Gregory Sager on June 22, 2015, 04:25:35 PM
Quote from: AndOne on June 22, 2015, 02:33:14 PM

Lorenz is a great example of why I say that in D3 verbal declarations, even when they're put into print, are not bona-fide proof when it comes to making recruiting lists like Bob's. Kids change their minds. Lorenz changed his mind shortly after the Harper press release you've just cited was put out. He decided to pass on IIT and instead join his Harper teammate Garrett Gatz at NPU, and his tuition deposit's actually been in North Park's hands for two years now. However, he tore his labrum in August of 2013 and North Park allowed him to defer his enrollment for a year. So he was set to finally become a Viking last year -- but, again, he was the unlucky victim of a major injury, as he tore his ACL. He again deferred his enrollment. He's now supposedly healthy and is ready to become a Viking at last. Given his injury history, though, I'm not expecting much from him.

As for Darius Brown, he's a dramatically undersized inside player. He's not only 6'3, he was also only listed at 180 pounds last season. Tom Slyder likes his heart, his energy, and his mental makeup, but, given the extreme limitations of Brown's size, I'm not expecting much from him, either.

Of course, I'm enthusiastically willing to be proven wrong by either, or both, gentlemen. ;)

Sometimes a nice surprise can come from an unexpected source. You never know what someone may be capable of until their name is called.

Gregory Sager

True. But the downside is that the opportunity for the unexpected source to come out of nowhere and provide that nice surprise would only come about because multiple players upon whom the coach depended were not able to provide what was expected of them, either because of injury or some other reason.

Yes, this is Glass Half-Empty Day here in my house. ;)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Gregory Sager on June 22, 2015, 08:20:58 PM
True. But the downside is that the opportunity for the unexpected source to come out of nowhere and provide that nice surprise would only come about because multiple players upon whom the coach depended were not able to provide what was expected of them, either because of injury or some other reason.

Yes, this is Glass Half-Empty Day here in my house. ;)

The scenario you paint is usually true, but sometimes a kid just so dominates in intra-squad scrimmages that he flat out beats out the starters, without the necessity of anyone getting hurt (or even playing particularly poorly).  From the reports I'm getting, the Williams transfer, Duncan Robinson, may be doing just that at Michigan - Coach Beilein has bemoaned that he had to sit out a year because the greatest shortcoming at UM this past year was 3-point shooting, especially by a big.  (He early on broke the all-time record in a practice contest [3s in a certain time frame], last set by NBAer Nick Stauskas.)

Even though my back went out last Friday, I try to make every day Glass Half-Full Day! ;D

Gregory Sager

OK, then, I'll add to my original statement by saying that I am enthusiastically willing to be proven wrong not only with regard to Brown and Lorenz but also with pessimism being the optimal attitude for this particular scenario. ;)

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Gregory Sager on June 22, 2015, 10:07:39 PM
OK, then, I'll add to my original statement by saying that I am enthusiastically willing to be proven wrong not only with regard to Brown and Lorenz but also with pessimism being the optimal attitude for this particular scenario. ;)

There ya go! ;D

Pessimism as to why a guy breaks through is probably the most realistic scenario, but 'optimal' is probably never the right term. :P

And this from a guy who is (temporarily) using a cane, and despite being an optimist at heart, is probably a pessimist 48% of the time.  The optimist says glass half-full; the pessimist says glass half-empty; the engineer says you're using the wrong size glass! ;D

Gregory Sager

... and the statistician says that 35.7% of all glass-buyers chose that size glass last year, up 3.6% from the year before. ;)

AndOne

Future CCIW basketball scheduling:

While not set in cement yet, with Carroll's (re)entry into the CCIW in 2016-17, preliminary plans being considered call for the conference basketball season to begin in December rather than continuing the traditional January start. Teams would play at least the 2 additional conference games in December, possibly 3 games.
Not sure if this can be avoided but, depending on exactly when December games might be scheduled, such scheduling could easily fall during several school's vacation periods and potentially result in some pretty sparse crowds.

Don't know what others think, but I'm not crazy about the loss of 2 non conference games and the associated opportunity for team travel to either a warm locale during the Midwest winter season, or at least for travel to an area of the country that many kids have not had the opportunity to experience. Although the counterbalance to this is the fact that it seems to be increasingly difficult for some teams to schedule as many as 11 non-conference games, especially those that will aid in their consideration for national tournament play. Also, in looking at things from a financial standpoint, I'm sure administrators will look more favorably at a bus trip to Waukesha, WI as opposed to a flight to, and hotel rooms in, someplace like Las Vegas or Florida.

AndOne

NCC TRANSFER

Jake Maestranzi, 5'8" PG from D2 Delta State. HS at Niles Notre Dame. Will be a junior.

kiko

Quote from: AndOne on June 25, 2015, 12:08:56 AM
NCC TRANSFER

Jake Maestranzi, 5'8" PG from D2 Delta State. HS at Niles Notre Dame. Will be a junior.

So for those of us in Cardinal Nation who are not on the inside, you mentioned 6'8" D2 guy below, and this shows 5'8" D2 guy.  Should I interpret this to mean that we might have one more present under the tree in the weeks ahead?

AndOne

Quote from: kiko on June 25, 2015, 04:12:28 PM
NCC TRANSFER

So for those of us in Cardinal Nation who are not on the inside, you mentioned 6'8" D2 guy below, and this shows 5'8" D2 guy.  Should I interpret this to mean that we might have one more present under the tree in the weeks ahead?

Yes, indeed. One more expected. I didn't hit the wrong key.  ;D

kiko

Quote from: AndOne on June 25, 2015, 04:45:15 PM
Quote from: kiko on June 25, 2015, 04:12:28 PM
NCC TRANSFER

Yes, indeed. One more expected. I didn't hit the wrong key.  ;D

Cool.  Tell Santa I've been VERY good this year...

Wildcat

Where have you gone Elmhurst recruiting. Two guys thus far is not enough, when you will be replacing at least 8 of your top ten next year. I hope they are not done.