FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jknezek

Second and third. Fumbles, penalties. Uggh. But, let's focus on the win. Strong win in the end. Big plays at times, good defense at times. The pieces are there, and I have faith that it will all come together now that we are in the ODAC schedule. A food start, lots of things still to work on, but the win was the important part and there is no doubt the guys busted chops to bring that home.

hasanova

Quote from: jknezek on September 30, 2016, 09:28:01 PM
Second and third. Fumbles, penalties. Uggh. But, let's focus on the win. Strong win in the end. Big plays at times, good defense at times. The pieces are there, and I have faith that it will all come together now that we are in the ODAC schedule. A food start, lots of things still to work on, but the win was the important part and there is no doubt the guys busted chops to bring that home.
When it was 35-23 and E&H was driving, the Interception shifted the momentum back in W&L's favor.  Good win for the Generals and a tough start to the season for the Wasps.  Looks as though RMC will go to 4-0 at SU.  With the Yellow Jackets win, it's a lock there will be two 4-0 teams in the ODAC after tomorrow since both Guilford and Catholic enter their game at 3-0.

y_jack_lok

R-MC at SU -- hard game to evaluate. Quite a few penalties at bad times for both teams. Some costly turnovers for both teams -- but none more so than the R-MC fumble that SU picked up and returned +/- 50 yards for a TD to make it 17-13 R-MC. But the Jackets drove for a TD on their next possession. SU was then able to pas its way down the field to score with a bit under 2 minutes left. Two point conversion failed and R-MC was able to recover the onsides kick and run out the clock for the 24-19 final. R-MC had the better running game, SU the better passing game. Looked like some tough play at the line of scrimmage. SU threw a lot of quick passes so pressuring the QB was tough, though they got to him a couple of times.

CMR

RMC/SU - a game of missed opportunities for both teams.  RMC is legit, starting with their lines, where they're big and fast on the OL, averaging 6-3 and slightly over 300 lbs.  The DL is quick.  The only weakness so far is holding onto the ball.  Fix that, and this team goes far.  SU is very good and will win several ODAC games.

y_jack_lok

Quote from: CMR on October 01, 2016, 09:09:27 AM
RMC/SU - a game of missed opportunities for both teams.  RMC is legit, starting with their lines, where they're big and fast on the OL, averaging 6-3 and slightly over 300 lbs.  The DL is quick.  The only weakness so far is holding onto the ball.  Fix that, and this team goes far.  SU is very good and will win several ODAC games.

Definitely agree about missed opportunities. Probably the most important of those was SU's opening drive. They got a great kickoff return, then two quick passes to get inside the 10 (?). Anyway, they had 3rd and goal on the two and got stopped on two rushing attempts. If they score on that possession it could have been a different game. Not sure why they didn't attempt a pass on 3rd down. Even if incomplete it could have kept the defense honest on 4th. The only time SU was able to rush effectively was their first possession of the second half.

jknezek

Quote from: CMR on October 01, 2016, 09:09:27 AM
RMC/SU - a game of missed opportunities for both teams.  RMC is legit, starting with their lines, where they're big and fast on the OL, averaging 6-3 and slightly over 300 lbs.  The DL is quick.  The only weakness so far is holding onto the ball.  Fix that, and this team goes far. SU is very good and will win several ODAC games.

We've heard this before. Namely the years where they've beaten or played H-SC close. It'll be interesting to see if this is the year they get over the hump. To be honest, I agree this is the year they break their ODAC trend, 3,2,1 I don't think it's going to 0. So it's not a high bar for improvement.

jknezek

H-SC enters uncharted territory. Coach Favret has never started 0-4 with the Tigers, and the Tigers haven't started 0-4 in the D3football.com era. Hard not to smell a changing of the guard right now, with Guilford destroying teams and W&L and H-SC wavering between unexpectedly mediocre and downright poor.

Guilford with a real shot to win at H-SC for the first time since when next week? W&L gets to test how strong Catholic's paper tiger is, seeing that the Cardinals were exposed in every facet of the game by Guilford. R-MC gets their shot at the Eagles, who aren't looking bad except for a loss to what is turning out to be a very surprising Apprentice squad.

Can Shenandoah put down an underperforming E&H team? The Wasps looked very poor at times against W&L, and disturbingly competent for two quarters. Which team will show? Is Shenandoah still a cellar dweller, or does the strong showing against R-MC imply times are changing?

Next week is shaping up to be very interesting in the ODAC.

hasanova

I went to the Catholic at Guilford game today and did not see the contest I expected.  To be blunt, I was expecting a close, high-scoring affair.  Guess I was half right, as the Quakers won 59-0 for their school-record 10th straight victory.  Guilford jumped on CUA from the get go with the score 7-0 after two minutes, 14-0 after 3:52 and 35-0 at the end of the 1st quarter.  When it was 56-0 with 7 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter, Coach Rusiewicz began to substitute liberally.  CUA had many turnovers:  I think 4 interceptions, a lost fumble and 7 sacks.  I wish them luck the rest of the season, but the Cardinals probably want to forget today's game.

On to HSC next week.  Wow, I am surprised the Tigers are 0-4.  Wish they already had that first win under their belt ... they'll be hungry.

HSCTiger74

Quote from: hasanova on October 01, 2016, 08:21:04 PM
I went to the Catholic at Guilford game today and did not see the contest I expected.  To be blunt, I was expecting a close, high-scoring affair.  Guess I was half right, as the Quakers won 59-0 for their school-record 10th straight victory.  Guilford jumped on CUA from the get go with the score 7-0 after two minutes, 14-0 after 3:52 and 35-0 at the end of the 1st quarter.  When it was 56-0 with 7 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter, Coach Rusiewicz began to substitute liberally.  CUA had many turnovers:  I think 4 interceptions, a lost fumble and 7 sacks.  I wish them luck the rest of the season, but they probably want to forget today's game.

On to HSC next week.  Wow, I am surprised the Tigers are 0-4.  Wish they already had that first win under their belt ... they'll be hungry.

That won't matter. This looks like it might be the year they don't have enough lunch money.
TANSTAAFL

hasanova

jknezek asked the question about the last time GC won at HSC, so I looked it up:   the Quakers won back-to-back in 1998 at Hampden-Sydney and 1999 in Greensboro before dropping 15 in row to the Tigers from 2000-2014.  So, it's been 18 years since Guilford's won in Farmville.

HSCTiger fan

HSC is definitely in uncharted waters. Before the season started like many I thought the Tigers would be very good.  Obviously we were wrong. This team has few "been there done that" leaders. The defense has been bad and they put a ton of pressure on the offense. But the fact is the offense just cannot keep up. Hopefully a big homecoming crowd this weekend will bring some life to our Tigers and spark a resurgence for the 2nd half of the season.
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

CMR

Vaguely remember that HSC has some no-shows and some season-ending injuries, how is this playing into the 0-4 start?  Took RMC 5 games in midseason last year to right the ship with injuries.

HSCTiger fan

Quote from: CMR on October 02, 2016, 12:37:21 PM
Vaguely remember that HSC has some no-shows and some season-ending injuries, how is this playing into the 0-4 start?  Took RMC 5 games in midseason last year to right the ship with injuries.

No show: Koonce - 1300 yards rushing last year.  As I understand this was complete surprise to the team the day before fall camp started.

Injured: Moore - 2800 yard passer and senior captain.  His replacement is doing great but you cannot replace senior leadership.

Injured: Carson - 2nd in ODAC in sacks last year. Also a senior captain. Leadership on defense is hard to find. HSC starts 7 sophs and 1 freshman.

No one is going to feel sorry for HSC. So I'm not going to make excuses.

Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

CMR

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on October 02, 2016, 08:46:00 PM
Quote from: CMR on October 02, 2016, 12:37:21 PM

No show: Koonce - 1300 yards rushing last year.  As I understand this was complete surprise to the team the day before fall camp started.

Injured: Moore - 2800 yard passer and senior captain.  His replacement is doing great but you cannot replace senior leadership.

Injured: Carson - 2nd in ODAC in sacks last year. Also a senior captain. Leadership on defense is hard to find. HSC starts 7 sophs and 1 freshman.

No one is going to feel sorry for HSC. So I'm not going to make excuses.

Thanks, that certainly explains the slow start, hard to overcome those major loses.

tigerFanAlso2

I think HSC grew up a little bit this past Saturday, in the 4th quarter. BC up 45 to 20, faked a punt down to the HSC 30 yard line; instead of packing it in the Tigers turned what could have been a 52 to 20 blow out into a ten point game. Freshman QB looked really good in the 4th quarter.

Still along way to go. Defense just cannot get enough stops; opponents pretty much run and pass at will. No answers yet. if the defense does not improve the season will continue down this path.