MIAA

Started by d3fan1, June 11, 2009, 11:42:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Knight

Quote from: sflzman on September 26, 2013, 10:05:44 AM
I know their schedule up to this point was extremely soft, but Alma just suffered their first loss of the season last night.

I wouldn't say extremely soft -- 99th-toughest in DIII, according to Massey, or in the top quarter. Other teams are playing tougher schedules, though -- Calvin #2, Olivet #10, Kalamazoo #25, Hope #33, Adrian #79, Trine #80, Albion #106.

Massey's ratings are Calvin #13, Hope #47, Alma #60, Adrian #88, Olivet #109, Kzoo #117, Albion #160. Only Trine is below average, at #237. A pretty strong conference.

calvin_grad

Is Calvin's record good enough to get into the NCAA tournament, or is their season done?  Anyone one have a feeling one way or the other?

OWUSoccer

Hate to say it, but I think Calvin is probably on the outside looking in.  Calvin was 6th in the last regional rankings, which is the last spot in the Central region's rankings.  They have an awful record versus ranked teams (1-4-1), and compared to the other Pool C teams have a relatively weak strength of schedule. 

The biggest problem is the MIAA's home-and-home setup, because it limited Calvin to only 4 non-conference games.  When three of those four are against NCAA-bound teams (Ohio Wesleyan, Loras and Kenyon) and you fail to get a result, you're stuck with either getting the AQ or hoping the conference is strong enough to get you an at-large.  With Hope unranked and every other MIAA team hovering around .500 or worse, Calvin isn't getting any help there.

Dutch Touch

Huge win tonight for the boys at Hope.

I felt completely comfortable with the the way the game was playing out until the last 5 min or so where we had no idea how much time was actually left due to the video not showing. After they scored their desperation goal it got very interesting.

Good luck tomorrow Dutchmen!
Hope plays, Hope wins!

sac

Wartburg 2 Hope 1 in OT

long screamer, probably from 30 yards

Dutch Touch

Wind at his back, but yeah it was a bomb. Unfortunate for Hope, I thought we played really well and controlled much of the game. Wartburg definitely had their chances and put a couple away, but it was a tough battle. Congrats on another good season Hope!
Hope plays, Hope wins!

miaawatcher

Besides Adrian, are there any other teams in the MIAA looking for coaches?

Flying Dutch Fan

Congrats to Grant Neil (Hope) and Travis Vegter (Calvin) on being named 2nd team NSCAA All-Americans!!
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

Dark Knight

I thought I heard last year that the MIAA was going to a single round robin format this year.

Not so.

Is that still in the works? When will the format change?

blooter442

Quote from: Dark Knight on September 10, 2017, 02:38:05 PM
I thought I heard last year that the MIAA was going to a single round robin format this year.

Not so.

Is that still in the works? When will the format change?

Not sure, but I recall Souders mentioning that the double-round robin no doubt hurts SoS in last year's Final Four interview, so I know of at least one coach who would welcome it!

Intrigued to see Calvin vs. Hope tomorrow. The Knights have started very well, including wins over two very good teams: OWU at home (whose only losses have been to and Case Western and 2016 Final 4 team St. Thomas) and Case away (whose only losses have been to Calvin and JCU, who has started 5-0). While it's still very early, based on their start I think they have a good chance at getting back to the Final 4. They are fun to watch -- I really like Witte and Van Ryn is a beast.

At the same time, Hope's 3 losses have all come by a goal, including one at Carthage, who is never an easy outfit to play. While I still expect Calvin to win, I think it could be closer than many might think.

sac

rudy

Quote from: sac on March 19, 2018, 06:50:54 PM
Hope made a very interesting hire today.

http://athletics.hope.edu/sports/msoc/2018-19/releases/20180319rn17yq

Indeed.  Coach Brandt I'm sure will bring much success at Hope.

Mr.Right

Quote from: rudy on March 19, 2018, 08:04:24 PM
Quote from: sac on March 19, 2018, 06:50:54 PM
Hope made a very interesting hire today.

http://athletics.hope.edu/sports/msoc/2018-19/releases/20180319rn17yq

Indeed.  Coach Brandt I'm sure will bring much success at Hope.

Very interesting. I knew when he left Navy for the USL it was a disastrous move and I said as much on these boards when he made the move. Just crazy. He left one of the safer jobs in D1 with one of the best benefit packages and solid salaries in the county straight up minus camps. For what? Ego. That's all it was about. I will say after a phenomenal career at Messiah it was an excellent time to go to Navy in 2008. I think that was the year. I mean he needed a new challenge and had accomplished everything and more at Messiah. It was time to go and he went for the perfect gig at Navy. I am guessing he could have gone earlier but was picky about the D1 situation and rightly so as you do not want to jump to D1 for the sake of jumping because there are plenty of BAD D1 situations so you do need to be careful. That is all fine and good but I have no idea what he was thinking to leave Navy for such an unstable situation in the USL. My guess is it was his massive ego. It possibly could of been he was frustrated at not winning at Navy like when he was at Messiah but I doubt it because he had to know going in he could only get Navy so far until they were just outclassed by ACC schools or Big 10 schools in the NCAA's. Honestly, I was quite unimpressed with the job he did at Navy as it was rather average except for a Patriot League title or 2. His results at Pittsburgh speak for themselves and this new gig will be an interesting challenge. I honestly do not know much about Hope but I believe they are more of a basketball school but I could be wrong. Either way they have not been much if a factor in D3 Mens Soccer so this will be a total rebuild. Now if he can start competing with Calvin in 3-5 years I will be quite impressed. Let's see what happens. My guess is after a few years he will be winning games, playing an attractive style and will be a thorn in Calvin's side but I do not think they will be a national contender year in and year out. You can bet I will be following

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Mr.Right on March 20, 2018, 04:19:37 PMI honestly do not know much about Hope but I believe they are more of a basketball school but I could be wrong. Either way they have not been much if a factor in D3 Mens Soccer so this will be a total rebuild. Now if he can start competing with Calvin in 3-5 years I will be quite impressed. Let's see what happens. My guess is after a few years he will be winning games, playing an attractive style and will be a thorn in Calvin's side but I do not think they will be a national contender year in and year out. You can bet I will be following.

??? ??? ??? "More of a basketball school"? You say that as if success in one sport precludes success in others. It just so happens that Hope's most recent national championship was in women's volleyball, four years ago.

By those standards, Hope's archrival Calvin is not a men's soccer school at all. It's not even the most successful fall sport at Calvin; it's the third-most successful, regardless of the three second-place finishes by the Knights in this decade. Calvin's men's cross-country team has won four national titles and is annually among the top teams in D3, and the women's cross-country team has won two national titles. Calvin's men's basketball team has fallen into mediocrity over the past couple of years, but it's still the most well-attended sport on campus, and the Knights have two national titles in that sport (which is two more than the men's soccer team has won). Oh, and the Calvin women's volleyball team has won three national championships, all in this decade.

Hope's been in 13 D3 men's soccer tourneys, which is not an inconsiderable number. The Flying Dutchmen got as far as the quarterfinals back in 2011, which also happened to be the tenth straight season that they finished either first or second in the MIAA. You are right, however, that the Hope program needs an overhaul; the Dutch have had a losing record each of the past three seasons.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell