MBB: NEWMAC

Started by nehoops4life, March 03, 2005, 10:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uconn05

Holy cow, what a win for WPI!!!!

Have they been starting Etten all year or is that a new thing?

WPI's defense is so good that it's hard to imagine a team beating them in the playoffs.  I said before that I think coast guard has the best chance to knock them off, but the only other team that has a chance is Clark.  They play fast and don't setup specific plays so WPI's pressure will effect them a little less than a team that wants to play slow.

LyonFan

I could not tell if WPI was that good or my Lyons were that dysfunctional, but that was the worst drubbing I have ever seen, at any level.  It seemed like the few shots WPI missed they managed to get the offensive board, while Wheaton was experimenting with the Duke spread offense, which ended up in a lot of (futile) one-on-one attempts.  It will be interesting to see if these guys can re-group and play well this weekend at Clark.

Meanwhile, WPI has earned their top seed, and any NEWMAC team hoping to upset them will have to play their absolute best game.  It does look like CGA is rounding into shape, and I would give them the best chance.  But everyone else is capable of winning, on any given night.

AboveDaRim2399

WPI v Babson should be a very interesting game. WPI by far has things rolling right now with two impressive back to back wins over MIT and Wheaton. It will be interesting to see if Babson's defense can get to WPI like it did the first time around. Babson plays very tough d, and maybe they can slow down WPI's scoring attack that has been red hot as of late.

AboveDaRim2399

It appears there are two critical ties in the NEWMAC right now...Clark and CGA for 2nd and 3rd...and MIT and Wheaton for last...

Anyone know how the tie-breakers are determined? And who will be playin who??

atn alum

I believe we have...

2 Clark vs 7 Wheaton
3 Coast GUard vs 6 MIT

4 Babson vs 5 Springfield

1 WPI gets bye

pridefan

Quote from: LyonFan on February 21, 2008, 06:37:42 PM
I could not tell if WPI was that good or my Lyons were that dysfunctional, but that was the worst drubbing I have ever seen, at any level.  It seemed like the few shots WPI missed they managed to get the offensive board, while Wheaton was experimenting with the Duke spread offense, which ended up in a lot of (futile) one-on-one attempts

LyonFan - your post made me check the score and boxscore for Wheaton vs WPI.  Wow - just throw that one away and hopefully they can forget about it and play well in the tourney (like they did yesterday in another tough close loss ).

The Pride lost to CGA yesterday because they basically left the guards WIDE open for 3's. Give CGA's credit - they nailed 'em. Sowers and Johnson shot 9 of 16 from beyond the arc and scored 20 and 22 respectively. CGA's front line didn't do a lot but they did just enough.

Now its Pride vs Babson at Babson. Last time, we were without Blackmon for the entire game and Crean for half of it because of their ejection in the Wheaton game.  With both of them back, hopefully we'll play like we're capable and Brock will adjust to their constant zone D.

Lastly, kudos to the Pride seniors for their recognition at their last home game.  Nice of Brock to start Moreau and both Daly and Gibbs played well.

AboveDaRim2399

MIT the sleeper team this year? I would think they would have the best shot to come from a lower seed and do some damage in the NEWMAC playoffs. Although they have lost 7 in a row. I think with everyone back healthy and not sick they should have a good chance...What are you thoughts on the playoffs?

Hugenerd

Congrats to Jimmy Bartolotta for being named a Jostens Finalist.

LyonFan

>>MIT the sleeper team this year? I would think they would have the best shot to come from a lower seed and do some damage in the NEWMAC playoffs. Although they have lost 7 in a row. I think with everyone back healthy and not sick they should have a good chance...What are you thoughts on the playoffs?<<

Unfortunately for MIT, they have CGA in the first round, which I think is the toughest team not named WPI in the conference.  With everyone healthy, I give them the edge over the other two first round home teams - but I am picking CGA to make the championship round again this year.  I am hoping my Lyons can get past Clark, who has edged them twice already.  Babson-Springfield is a real toss up, but if forced I go with Springfield - a lot depends on how the game is officiated, whether Strawson is allowed to use his arm-bar to creat space in the post.  SO, I say WPI, CGA, Springfield and Wheaton advance.  Others?

pridefan

Quote from: LyonFan on February 26, 2008, 09:45:43 PM
>>Babson-Springfield is a real toss up, but if forced I go with Springfield - a lot depends on how the game is officiated, whether Strawson is allowed to use his arm-bar to creat space in the post.  SO, I say WPI, CGA, Springfield and Wheaton advance.  Others?

I completely agree that the refs will have a huge effect on close matchups....like Babson vs Springfield, Clark vs Wheaton.  Last time, it was comical how inconsistent they were and several players both ways got foul trouble.

I agree with your predictions.  CGA depends heavily on the 3 ball and I don't see them as consistent as Coppola for example so don't be surprised if they stumble if somebody extends their D and has widebodies to bother Johnson/Prebeck.

atn alum

Hugenerd

I heard Jimmy B was injured at the end of the CGA-MIT game, anyone know what happened?

AboveDaRim2399

First and foremost, I hope Jimmy B is alright. He got fouled from behind with 2 minutes left in a 20 point deficit. I don't know if I would call the foul dirty, but just stupid. Game was over (almost) and he was on a breakaway. He landed awkwardly and hit the wall. CGA Trainer said he thinks he will be ok, but they just were being cautious. I wish him the best.

With that said, the 38 minutes before that CGA shut him down. He finished 4-14 with 8 TO's and only 12 points. Not only that but he was frustrated. Pushing and shoving, flopping on D and even got a technical foul for shoving G. Johnson down after a made basket. I haven't seen a better job on him yet. I believe it is his lowest point total of the season. Tremendous D from CGA tonight.

It will be interesting to see how they can get after Capola on Saturday as I see he had a great game tonight.

LyonFan

It will be interesting to see how they can get after Capola on Saturday as I see he had a great game tonight.

[/quote]

Interestingly enough, Coppola had a 'quiet' 27 points - not his usual long range bombing but more up-fake and drive layups.  Wheaton will be the underdogs vs. CGA, but they certainly could win, especially on a neutral court.  I think Babson (congrats to them on getting past a tough Springfield team) is a relatively tough match-up for WPI.  Should be a good doubleheader on Saturday.

BTW, Wheaton and Clark have played similar games all 3 times this season: close, taut, multiple lead changes, down to the final possession.  This time Wheaton hit all their free throws, and Clark did not make some plays down the stretch.  Ironically the Lyons got the break on a questionable charge call on Alexander with 11 seconds left (he'd been getting the calls when initiating contact all game).

baseballguy

Any update on MIT's Jimmy B?