WBB: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, March 17, 2005, 02:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kr

Yeah that's a good point --- a whole new set of challenges.
Plus, with the fact that the team will not be eligible for postseason for a while, I would think that recruiting may be difficult unless there is a lot of scholarship $$$ available right away.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: kr on April 04, 2018, 01:47:14 PM
Yeah that's a good point --- a whole new set of challenges.
Plus, with the fact that the team will not be eligible for postseason for a while, I would think that recruiting may be difficult unless there is a lot of scholarship $$$ available right away.

Remember, there are limits to scholarship money. In DII, they can split up scholarships (DI basketball and football, splitting up a scholarship is not allowed - full-ride only) and that can mean a lot of creative things to get recruits in. So there is a max number of scholarships given in total (10 full-rides - making up that number, don't know it for sure) and they can be given out in any size up to full-ride needed as long as it totals the max.

Recruiting will be tough. Next year the programs will still be competing in DIII (with no scholarships available anyway). The first recruits coming on campus will be the following year which, as long as everything is on course and they have been officially welcomed to DII, will be the first of the four-year transition process ... and like in DIII, they won't be eligible for NCAA postseasons until they complete those four years ... ASSUMING nothing goes wrong and a year or two in the process is not repeated.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ron Boerger

You got it in one, Dave:  exactly 10 scholarships to be divided up as the school sees fit.    http://www.ncaa.org/about/division-ii-partial-scholarship-model

kr

Thanks for the information! That's very helpful!

Ralph Turner

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

gordonmann

Here's an interview I did a couple weeks ago with Coach Hassell about her transition from Texas-Tyler to HSU. She also talks about Tyler's potential transition to D2.

http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2018/05/atn-nelson-hassell

umhb2001

UMHB Women are looking good so far this year. I expect big things from them. Go Cru!
Watch out for the wreckingCRU defense!!

gordonmann

Cru are ranked for the first time ever in our poll's history.

Congrats to them!

Kelly Boggs

Big win by The CRU over ETBU last night!
UMHB alumnus and proud supporter of The CRU. "UP with the PURPLE!" 

"If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas." - Darrell Royal

"Never make excuses. Your friends don't need them and your foes won't believe them." John Wooden

umhb2001

Yes. The ladies are legit. I haven't made it to a game yet, but I have watched online a few times. Beating ETBU the way they did should really give them some confidence.
Watch out for the wreckingCRU defense!!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The carnage continues!

Ok, maybe some hyperbole there, but it doesn't take away from the fact nine men's Top 25 teams lost (account for 12 losses). Even the women are taking more losses this time of year than maybe we are used to from that Top 25 group. Five more took losses this past week, granted some were to other Top 25 opponents.

What could the second Top 25 poll of the season look like when it's released Monday evening? What other teams are surprising or maybe flying under the radar?

Join Dave McHugh as he's returned from his soccer soiree to recap another incredible week of Division III basketball. Hoopsville will air at a special time on Monday - starting at 11:00 am Eastern.

McHugh will be joined by a few teams stealing the spotlight early in the season. Plus, Ryan Scott helps Dave get back up to speed and tries to read the tea leaves ahead of the latest Top 25.

Dave will also talk to the latest coach to join the 600-win club. DePauw women's coach Kris Huffman talks about the accomplishment and this season's seemingly low-octane squad.

Oh ... and we get the sights and sounds of a game between UW-River Falls and St. Thomas from US Bank Stadium, home of the Minnesota Vikings, in Minneapolis.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch Monday's special episode live right here: http://bit.ly/2DXh0ma

If you have questions about Division III basketball, feel free to send them and we will answer them on a the show. Email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com or use any of the social media options to the right.

Guests Schedule (order subject to change):
- Mark Morefield, No. 25 UMHB women's coach
- Kris Huffman, No. 21 DePauw women's coach
- Josh Merkel, No. 17 Randolph-Macon men's coach
- Ryan Scott, D3hoops.com Around the Nation columnist

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts instead, you can get access to them or subscribe one of the three following ways (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ralph Turner

Toby Taff

My wife and I are Alumni of both UMHB and HSU.  You think you are confused, my kids don't know which Purple and Gold team to pull for.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Toby Taff on January 04, 2019, 11:32:45 AM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on December 17, 2018, 11:39:19 PM
https://www.d3hoops.com/top25/women/2018-19/week4

Three ASC teams in the Top 25!

https://www.d3hoops.com/top25/women/2006-07/week6
Thomas More is coming to Belton next week. Should be a fantastic game
Whoa!  #2 Thomas More 73, UMHB 55.

It has been a long time since we have seen a real #2 in D-3 playing an ASC opponent!