Who Is running the Grinnell system?

Started by Mr. Ypsi, March 24, 2005, 02:03:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coachferrier

Quote from: Josh Bubar on March 27, 2005, 10:06:15 PM
All-
Just to lend crdence to Jeff's post, it is my understanding that Coach Spencer has been a member of the "system" list-serv group for the past year or so.  

I'm new to this board, does anyone know of this "group" and where I might find it at?

Pat Coleman

You have to be invited, I believe. Pretty sure that just your posting here will get someone's attention and they'll take care of you.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

coachferrier

thanks. I'm a high school coach in Washington State and I'm contemplating going to some form of the "system". just trying to get some ideas going...

Coach C

Well as an East Coast who is fascinated by the system, I would love to be invited to participate in the list serv as well.  Any possiblity, O Anonymous Gods of the System?

czarbubar

If you are interested in becoming part of the listserve email Bob Belf at coachbelf@juno.com and he should be able to help.

Flying Dutch Fan

There has been some discussion in the past about Tri-State and their version of the system.  My son attended a MacCracken basketball camp this summer, and several Tri-State players were working there.  They shared with him that the TS coach told them they would be abandoning that system this year, and playing a more traditional game.
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

hjmphelp

A lot of coaches, players and fans don't understand how much time it takes to make this work, and too many expect immediate results. Sorry to hear they are giving it up, but I wish Tri-State the best in the upcoming season. They gave it a pretty good shot last year. If Grinnell improves this year it may still generate more interest at other schools. The System certainly isn't for everyone but it sure works for Grinnell!

coachferrier

well, after waiting and waiting to hear from the moderators of the "system" list-serv I got tired of waiting and bought the second Grinnell instructional video about 10 minutes ago. The high school season is right around the corner here in Washington State........hope you are getting excited!

coachferrier

sorry, i dont mean to sound rude in the post above

czarbubar

Coach Ferrier-
Just a word of advice that the first video is the one to have...the second is more of a series of tweaks to the sytem as it evolved for Grinnell.  The basic tenets are also in the book Running to Extremes...likely available wherever you got tht video.  That being said, just go crazy...press on everything, sell out for steals, try to launch a shot w/in 10 seconds and make sure half of them are threes.  Play one minute shifts (trust me) and get the kids to be free and loose...you will have fun, build self-confidence, and instill the values of hard work, win or lose, and that is what it is all about.

coachferrier

bought everything he's put out. watched the first instructional tape about a hundred times. the tweaks will be good to have. thanks for the feedback!

hjmphelp

Coach Ferrier- the System webside administrator has tried to contact you several times. Have you returned his Email yet? He will be more than willing to get you set up!

coachferrier

numerous times. must be playin some email tag. will check again!

hjmphelp

Saw the first practice early this AM. I can report that Grinnell College will be playing system ball once again this year. ;D

The freshman class is loaded with shooters, ballhandlers, passers, and ball stealers. It looks to me that after a month or two of pickup ball with the old guys they already get it!
Should be a completely different year!

TeeDub

Jeff,

In your System experience, is there any way to determine (as an observer) what kind of scoring prowess the team will have this early in the season?  That is to say, can you look at a System team and say they are are 120 pts/gm team or a 110 pts/gm team?

Your old "source"... Coach Watkins