Draft for D3 New York baseball

Started by AlleyCat, May 22, 2008, 09:51:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMTPdthree

What about Benvonutto? the SS from Farmingdale?

John McGraw

Quote from: MMTPdthree on January 09, 2009, 03:27:10 PM
What about Benvonutto? the SS from Farmingdale?

No chance unless Osik pulls some heavy duty strings.

Dave Bradley

I heard that Steve Juedes a pitcher from Oneonta could be on a couple of teams radar screen this season, in fact last year I saw him beat Brockport and there was a Reds scout watching him.

StagnantFLY

any legitimate kids getting drafted from the SUNYAC this year? WHO AND WHERE?

HotSoupTrio

Mike Avery from Cortland, Matt Tone from Cortland, Jamie Rose from Brockport, Steve Juedes from Oneonta....only ones that really have a shhot in the SUNYAC...the level of play is down a bit this year

Cardinal Sin

Don't really think the NY really has any legit prospects. From the sound of it, it seems Tone's draft stock seems to be fading, never seen the kid pitch but just the talk here on the board leads me to believe he might not go this year.

Dave Bradley

I think that Steve Juedes should get a shot in the pros, this kid put up pretty good numbers as a senior, providing it holds up because I guess he could get 1 more start, he currently leads all pitchers with a 1.77 ERA, last year he lead all of the SUNYAC with a 2.11 His numbers are better then Matt Tone in every area except strikeouts, better ERA, better Bat avg against, better walk ratio. Over the last two years in 125 innings he has a 1.94 ERA, 103 hits allowed only 33 walks and a respectable 94 K's, I know he doesn't have the huge 90 mph fastball but he does have a terrific slider, he is 6'5 and probably could add to his fastball with pro coaching, he does get people out, he has proved that over the last two years. Just my opinion.

John McGraw

Quote from: Dave Bradley on April 29, 2009, 11:50:21 AM
I think that Steve Juedes should get a shot in the pros, this kid put up pretty good numbers as a senior, providing it holds up because I guess he could get 1 more start, he currently leads all pitchers with a 1.77 ERA, last year he lead all of the SUNYAC with a 2.11 His numbers are better then Matt Tone in every area except strikeouts, better ERA, better Bat avg against, better walk ratio. Over the last two years in 125 innings he has a 1.94 ERA, 103 hits allowed only 33 walks and a respectable 94 K's, I know he doesn't have the huge 90 mph fastball but he does have a terrific slider, he is 6'5 and probably could add to his fastball with pro coaching, he does get people out, he has proved that over the last two years. Just my opinion.

You never know who will and who won't. Mike Zaccardo was the league's Player of the Year and was tearing the cover off the ball as a senior. He didn't even get a sniff in the draft and then he retired after playing just one game in the NY-Penn League with Williamsport. Jim Dougher, Will Groff, Andy Mead and Mike Schellinger each lasted several years in the low minors before being released - Schellinger's still active in the independent leagues.

The only one that's really had any sustainable success has been chris Salamida. Last I heard, he was with Houston's Double-A club in the Texas League.

I don't think I'd bank on anyone getting drafted this year though Matt Tone still has the best chance despite his poor numbers.

Dave Bradley

I wondered what happened to Dougher, I looked for him in the Blue Jays minors but didn't find him, he got released? that's to bad I was rooting for him, I wonder why, he seemed to be doing pretty good in the minors. You probably are right about this years draft but I just think that a kid like Juedes deserves a shot, he gets people out, his ERA proves that, he is a very good pitcher and I don't think he got a whole bunch of teaching at Oneonta, if I was making a late pick for a team, I would look at him and say what the heck, 2 SUNYAC ERA titles in his Junior and Senior years, great size 6'5, knows how to pitch, setup hitters, maybe they could increase his velosity and have something, geez even in the 40th round, what's the risk to them.

airball55

The NY region may get shut out.  Tone is the only guy who is getting any attention (after speaking with the bureau and the Reds) and he is backing up.  He does have a good breaking ball but velocity is an issue.  He shows 89-91 but falls off fast.  Filak is going to be the next one.  Big, great movement, young and has the velocity to get there.  Let's just hope he does not transfer to cortland (HAHA).

John McGraw

Tone still has a chance to boost his stock with a solid performance in the regionals.

Hot Rod Runnin

Any New York Guys other than Filak gonna go this year?

John McGraw

Good question. Off hand I'm going to say no but I could be wrong.

AlleyCat

What about Dimino's from Cortland? They can run and MLB scouts love that stuff.

Other then that maybe Reardon from RPI

StarvinMarvin

Scouts may love tools and often times may draft a guy based on a tool or two that grade out above average on the 20-80 major league scale but it doesn't necessarily take a scout to recognize a "showcase" player...there are plenty of them in this country let alone the international scene.  Upper echelon scouts have an eye for intangibles and are able to project success in a way that is somewhat amazing.  Best of luck to the Dimino's or anyone else on a scout's DIII radar!