BB: NCAC: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by woosterbooster, December 29, 2005, 03:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Acula

Those 2018 schedules aren't the same?  That one is still the old format not a round robin.  It's old (2015).  The round robin one is marked as approved this year.  Maybe they changed the 7-9 thing too?

Bishopleftiesdad

Maybe but that pdf has a page per year through 2021. Odd.

Pops33

I agree with Dr. Acula.  The schedules that show the 7 and inning games was approved in 2015.  The schedule showing the round robin format was just approved on 1/16/17.  The new schedule shows games that are not listed on the one approved in 2015, so it appears that they threw the old one out the window and re-formatted the entire schedule.  With just 2 games against each opponent, I am sure the coaches in the top half of the league would argue for the longer games.  Especially since that replicates the conference and regional tournaments.

Dr. Acula

I really dislike the 7-9 format.  The year that Mount won the OAC tournament (2013?) one big reason why was because Zach Carlino, who won OAC pitcher of the year, always pitched the 7 and nearly always went the distance.  I don't like giving that big of an advantage to a team.  If they can go 9 that's fine.  You're either a horse or you're pitching efficiently.  I'm fine with either.  But you don't have to do either to throw 7.

Bishopleftiesdad

I agree that it was probably thrown out and redone. The one item that caught my I that I do not remember seeing in the past, Is the Easter exception. I did not remember previous years including the line that if the game is played on a Friday, it would be considered a week day game. I am not sure what the difference would be between a weekday game and a weekend game.
But I see now that it is also on the 2017 schedule which probably means it was always there before. I will have to see if I can previous schedules and see if the wording is the same. The NCAC can be very sloppy with there documentation.

Bishopleftiesdad

I agree I dislike the 7-9 inning games. The number one almost always pitches those games and you are right, it gives a big advantage to the team with a guy that can go 7 inning no sweat. A couple of years ago, in OWU's bad year, Our number one guy could never go 7 innings, and it really hurt us for the other games during the weekend. OWU went 13-26 that year.

Bishopleftiesdad

Bishopleftiesdad

Coaches poll is out
http://www.northcoast.org/sports/bsb/2016-17/releases/preseasonpoll
Wooster in First. No surprise there they are going to be really good this year. Any surprises for anybody else?

Pops33

I think Allegheny is the 3rd best team in the conference, instead of 5th.  However, only 3 points separates the 3-5 spots so it is not a major difference or a surprise in the poll.  The top five teams are usually there every year, so I guess the poll is no surprise.  The interesting thing will be to see if the 3 coaching changes in the West have an immediate impact on their team's performance.

Pat Coleman

I thought OWU lost too much to be up that high -- the order I mentioned teams in my Mideast Region preview is my de facto predicted order of finish. I don't pretend to know more about NCAC baseball than the NCAC coaches do, however.

http://www.d3baseball.com/notables/2017/01/preview/mideast-preview
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Bishopleftiesdad

Yes OWU lost a lot. Pitching is going to be interesting. But Mott always seems to find a Freshman pitcher that can contribute. Zullo, Munger, Ray, and Cooper are examples over the last 6 years. I am very interested about the SS position. Replacing bats from last year will be tough as well. Many of the players that graduated started three or 4 years.
We will now see who will step up and lead. Stolly is probably a good choice. The players clearly respect him. Their are players who have been waiting their turn, let's see if they perform. I still see OWU in the top four. I do not believe they will be behind Kenyon.

Bishopleftiesdad

I think Jake Martin at Wabash will make a big impact. They were showing promise last year. He recruited my son and I was always impressed. I am not sure how much time he had to recruit. I don't know much about DePauw's new coach, but he has an impressive resume.

Pops33

Rumor has it that the NCAC will change the length of their conference games this year.  The last couple of years, they played a 7 inning game, followed by a 9 inning game on both Saturday and Sunday.  This year, I heard that will change to all four games being 9 inning games.  If this is truly the case, it will really test the depth of the pitching staffs in the NCAC.  It is just a difference of 2 innings a day and 4 innings a weekend, but I envision some very long games on Sunday afternoon. 

Bishopleftiesdad

And high scoring. I am glad they are finally playing big boy baseball. 

Dr. Acula

Is it then safe to assume that the full round robin will be a pair of 9's?

By the way, BLD I am not sure how I feel about OWU going with that Nationals 'W' logo.  It's a cool logo, but it seems like everyone is using it right now.  I guess if the players like it that's all that matters though.