BB: Regional (Mid-East) Terre Haute '08, Adrian '09, Marietta '10, '11

Started by Ralph Turner, May 11, 2008, 11:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woosterbooster

Diial did either the third or the fourth, and now he's doing the seventh.  Nemeth is keeping him on a much tighter leash today, giving him less air-time and correcting any major mistakes.  Still, he's way out of his element, whatever that might be.  Did he have a short stint as an Indians' announcer a few years back?

KYGrizzly

Quote from: Wooster Booster on May 15, 2008, 12:44:57 PM
Shane Swearingen, Wooster's season-long starting catcher, is once again not in the lineup.  No mention why.  Possibly injured, of course, but the Scots also have somewhat of a history of players missing the post-season for disciplinary or academic reasons (Adam Arkin, Mike Barone, and others).  I hope that's not the case.

Looks like he is still on the team as he just went in to catch.

ScotsFan

Wooster stays alive by the final score of 5-3! 

Wooster now plays tomorrow at 3:30.  I wasn't fully paying attention, but Nemeth mentioned something about if Calvin wins today over Heide, the Scots only game would be at 3:30 tomorrow.  If Heide won, the Scots would have to play 2 tomorrow if they were to win the 3:30 game.  So, GO CALVIN!!!   ;D   Of course, if it starts to rain and push back the remainder of today's games, that would be a break for the Scots.  And seeing as how mother nature screwed them a couple of years ago, this would be a nice return favor.  :)   Still no word on who will be starting for the Scots tomorrow.  Matt Barnes has been the Scots 3rd starter, but he was summoned in relief of Trap today for 3 innings of work.

Quote from: Wooster Booster on May 15, 2008, 01:43:02 PM
Did he have a short stint as an Indians' announcer a few years back?
Is this a serious question?  I sure don't remember that.  I remember wondering how Matt Underwood ever got the gig.  Now I wonder how he got the STO gig?!   ???

Quote from: KYGrizzly on May 15, 2008, 01:46:17 PM
Quote from: Wooster Booster on May 15, 2008, 12:44:57 PM
Shane Swearingen, Wooster's season-long starting catcher, is once again not in the lineup.  No mention why.  Possibly injured, of course, but the Scots also have somewhat of a history of players missing the post-season for disciplinary or academic reasons (Adam Arkin, Mike Barone, and others).  I hope that's not the case.

Looks like he is still on the team as he just went in to catch.

Yes, Swearingen was brought in to catch the 9th inning.  Nemeth was quetioning why he hadn't been starting either game so far as he didn't know anything either.  My guess would be that he was sitting out for disciplinary reasons.  If he was hurt, would it really make much sense to bring him on to catch the 9th inning?  Seems like if he's not 100%, that could be a serious liability.

medicine man

Swearingen is on the bench NOT for disciplinary reasons NOR for academic reasons, only for "Coach P reasons" unknown to anyone but Coach P.

Believe me - it is not for either of the two above reaons, I am positive. I DO know this.

woosterbooster

Medicine Man -

I believe you.  In that case, I just don't understand why the starting catcher would suddenly be relegated to the bench.  It just seems The Scots try to out-think themselves when the post-season arrives.

With Barnes coming in to relieve today and the distinct possibility of playing two games tomorrow (HC now leads by a score of 4-1 going to the bottom of the ninth), I'm wondering what Wooster has in mind for tomorrow.  Are they thinking of giving the ball to Mark Miller in one of the games?  Not a bad idea, except I wish they had tried it once or twice during the season just to test the water.  Ample opportunity was there during one of the league series.

transydad

Congratulations Wooster and Heidelberg on your wins against Transy. We left our bats in KY hopefully we will learn from this and put them on the bus next year the good Lord willing. We might of had a chance against Wooster we could of got some 2 out hits. You are not going to win many games when your two through six hitters go 0-13.  Transy team batting average was about .329 but thats why you play the games. Good luck and we hope to see you all next year but it's our turn to win.

mideastfan2

Adrian wins over Rose Hulman.

Friday's Game:

Heidelberg (2-0) vs Adrian (2-0)
Wooster (1-1) vs Rose Hulman (1-1)

Not really sure what to think about this regional, except that Heidelberg has had a pretty easy road so far. 

ScotsFan

Well, Wooster's really got their backs up agaisnt it now.  In order to get out of this regional they will have to win 4 games in 2 days?!  ::)

Anyone have any guesses as to whom will be toting the rubber today for the Scots?  My guesses woud be Mark Miller and/or John Warren for the 3:30 game.  Should the Scots win, I wonder if Barnes would be availiable for the nightcap.  He threw 41 pitches yesterday in his 3 innings of relief, so I would think he should be able to give Wooster a couple more innings at least.

If Wooster gets through today's gauntlet, will their 2 best have enough in the tank to get through Saturday?  Samson threw 122 pitches and Trap needed 100 just to get through 6 innings yesterday. 

I think the bottom line is that Wooster is going to need a lot of help from some unexpected sources.  They're going to need some guys to step it up and dig deep.  And, the bats are going to need to step it up as well.  Yesterday vs. Transy was a nice start.  As transydad touched on the lack of 2 out hitting for the Pios, Wooster seemed to deliver some big hits with 2 outs.  If the Scots' bats can't take some of the pressure of the pitching staff, I don't see them making it past today...

woosterbooster

Matt DeGrand has got to get one of the starts today.  Probably the first game, and if Wooster can win that one without needing Miller, maybe he goes in the second game.  Obviously a very tough situation, but today is doable; there are still three other capable and unused pitchers in Warren (better than his stats indicate), McDowell (pitched better lately), and Fugate (limited but good outings).

Tomorrow would definitely be even tougher. :)   

Flying Dutch Fan

Adrian moving to tomorrow at 3-0 after beating Heidleberg 4-1, needing to only win 1 of 2 to advance to the WS - althouhg I'm sure they won't be looking at it that way.
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

ScotsFan

Quote from: mideastfan2 on May 15, 2008, 11:08:17 PM
Not really sure what to think about this regional, except that Heidelberg has had a pretty easy road so far. 
Heide's easy road just hit a speed bump.  Adrian continues to be the surprise team of the regional.  They should be set to have their #1 back on the mound to face whomever makes it out of the loser's bracket.

That was quite an impressive outing by Adam Domschott for Adrian.  Heidelberg's offense is not the easiest to shut down and he held them to just 3 hits and one run coming off a solo hr.

You have to be real impressed with Adrian's starting pitching thus far.  In their first game vs. Wooster, Alex Webster really showed some composure to come back and really shut down the Scot bats after a shaky 1st inning.  And then, yesterday, Rickstad was shaky allowing all 3 RHIT runs in the 1st two innings and then he proceeded to throw up 0's the rest of the game.  And now Domschott goes out and shuts down the #1 seed. 

One thing's for sure.  No one can say that Adrian's road in the regional has been easy thus far as they've now defeated the top 2 seeds in the regional.  Can their improbable run continue?  They're definately in the driver's seat.

countyroad

Dave dial is killing me on the air.  I tried RHIT's announcer but I couln't get it to work.

My favorite:

Dave:  "That has to be like ball 7 he's thrown him."
    Ken:  "No it's not, they intentionally walked the last batter who's on first, we    now have a new hitter."

Ken:  "By the way it's Mark Miller"

woosterbooster

I completely gave up on the Wooster broadcast.  WQKT should be totally embarrassed by this.  It's hard enough, sometimes, to decipher what Ken Nemeth is trying to say.  However, by comparison, Dave Dial makes him sound like Vince Scully or Red Barber.

Unfortunately, the lisping Rose-Hulman announcer is also a dunce.  Nobody seems to know how to describe a batted-ball and to put forth a clear, slow, description of what's happening before them.  They get so damned excited they don't tell you anything.

There have been two amazing plays in this ballgame.  With one out in the top of the sixth, Rose-Hulman had men on second and third.  A fly ball was hit to center fielder Jake Sankal, who made the grab.  Both runners tagged up and the throw went to the plate.  Safe at home, and the other guy advances to third.  Wooster, though, then appealed at second, feeling the runner had left early.  He was called OUT, and the run that had just scored was taken off the board!

After a discussion among the umpires, minds were changed, and the run was COUNTED!  This brought Wooster coach Tim Pettorini out of the dugout and there was a long discussion.  Eventually, and belatedly, the alternate umpire emerged from somewhere with a rule book.  A passage was read, which apparently displeased Pettorini, who according to the Rose-Hulman announcer flung the rule book into the dirt.  The run stood, and unbelievably Pettorini was not ejected!

Then, in the bottom of the sixth, after a lead-off single by O'Donnell, Sankal doubled.  O'Donnell came around to try to score, and on the throw to the plate somebody, I think it was the RH catcher, threw his glove at the ball to try to stop it.  O'Donnell scored, and Sankal, who was on his way to third on the throw to the plate, was awarded ANOTHER base and came home to score!  Totally bizarre.

The game is now in the ninth, the score 7-7.  As Dave Dial would say, for both teams.   

old scot

Just started listening to the game in the 9th. Dial is a Bozo. Why would you have someone who knows nothing about baseball broadcast. He admitted it on air saying he would be lost without Nemeth explaining it to him.

Questionable coaching by Woo in the 9th. Lead off hitter gets on 1st. No SAC bunt called for. Runner steals 2nd. No SAC bunt called for to move the runner 3rd. Batter pops up. Next up is your hottest hitter. RH intentionally walks him to set up DP. No brain-er.
If you SAC the runner to 3rd, it makes the call by RH coach more difficult. I guess I like to play the percentages.

ScotsFan

It's now still tied in the 13th!!!  :P

This doesn't bode well for either team going forward...  ???