2018 Season - National Perspective

Started by Flying Weasel, March 26, 2018, 10:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NEPAFAN

Muhlenberg played Scranton yesterday, but I don't have the result.
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

Gregory Sager

Two ranked teams, #3 Chicago and #17 Trinity (TX), are headed to overtime tied at 3-3 in San Antonio.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

Double reds meted out with 36 seconds to go in the first OT, so the Maroons and Tigers will play ten-on-ten.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

blooter442

Gregory Sager

You said it.

I'd hate to be playing in the south Texas heat, nighttime or not.

blooter442

Quote from: Gregory Sager on September 02, 2018, 11:48:39 PM
You said it.

I'd hate to be playing in the south Texas heat, nighttime or not.

Agreed. If I played, I would take the occasional 30 degree tournament game over 80 plus and humid. You can always put on more layers (within reason)!

Gregory Sager

Match finishes in a 3-3 draw.

You'd think that a Labor Day weekend contest in San Antonio would favor Trinity (TX) in terms of weather conditions, since the Tigers are used to that sort of heat. There was indeed a lot of cramping out there, but it actually seemed as though the Tigers were more sapped by the heat and the extra minutes than the Maroons were. Chicago had three great chances in the second bonus period -- two by Koh, one by Lopez -- but couldn't connect. All three chances seemed to be predicated upon Tigers defenders dragging a bit.

cmackowiakSGSN

In my preseason coverage for The Flyer at Salisbury University, I took a look at the impact of SU head coach Alex Hargrove's first recruiting class as a head coach, now all juniors. Here is my team preview for the season ahead:
https://thesuflyer.com/2018/09/04/hargroves-first-recruits-lead-journey-into-programs-new-era/

Also, here is a recap from the team's 3-0 win over Neumann University. The SU defense seems to be clicking despite replacing three starters on the backline. https://thesuflyer.com/2018/09/05/eriksens-brace-leads-su-to-another-3-0-victory/

Ommadawn

Quote from: EB2319 on March 28, 2018, 09:05:21 AM
I love that Hartwick scheduled Messiah and I'd be curious to see who else they're picking up out of conference.  I would imagine Oneonta, which is another great measuring stick. Would love to see St. Lawrence too.

Messiah handled Hartwick 3-0 tonight, outshooting Hawks 25-1.  What is noteworthy is that Hartwick retained only 1 player (!!!) from last year's D1 roster.  Hartwick is playing a ragtag schedule of D2 and D3 opponents.  It's kind of sad to see what has happened to a storied program.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Ommadawn on September 05, 2018, 11:01:45 PM
Quote from: EB2319 on March 28, 2018, 09:05:21 AM
I love that Hartwick scheduled Messiah and I'd be curious to see who else they're picking up out of conference.  I would imagine Oneonta, which is another great measuring stick. Would love to see St. Lawrence too.

Messiah handled Hartwick 3-0 tonight, outshooting Hawks 25-1.  What is noteworthy is that Hartwick retained only 1 player (!!!) from last year's D1 roster.  Hartwick is playing a ragtag schedule of D2 and D3 opponents.  It's kind of sad to see what has happened to a storied program.

Not surprising they only have one player from last year's squad. Those others were getting some kind of scholarship (who knows how much) and probably felt they could go elsewhere and still play D1 (not going to start that convo about if that is truly a smart way of thinking). I didn't expect Hartwick to have much of a roster nor a schedule this year as they are pulling back to DIII FAST ... not easy.

They will build back eventually. They need to forget the past and move on in what is a far better situation than they have been in the past despite being in D1. It will take some time, but it will happen.

That said, how storied have they really been of late? They made the NCAA tournament three times this century and haven't been to the quarterfinals since 1986. I know they were great once, but I think the smart move was to get them back to DIII. I honestly feel Hobart lacrosse should do the same ... but I digress.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

PaulNewman

Big doubleheader at Lynchburg on the award winning Lynchburg Sports Network....Roanoke up 1-0 on Christopher Newport with under 20 to go....Dickinson vs Lynchburg in the nightcap hopefully with the best in D3, Joe Hurtzler, on the call.  Great commercials too.

Elsewhere, Lycoming at Carnegie Mellon at 7:00 could be a good one....Hope at Ohio Northern will be interesting for Brandt fans....Wash U is at DePauw....Hanover at Capital....GAC at Luther...

What to make of Gordon...lost to ECSU...

PaulNewman

And Roanoke goes up 2-0....CNU with 15 min to get back in it...

PaulNewman

Chaos in Lynchburg... Roanoke player loses his mind....PK for CNU....2-1 with 12 to go

Announcer:  "...the tension is so tense you can cut it with a knife"

Ejay

Quote from: PaulNewman on September 07, 2018, 06:51:30 PM
Chaos in Lynchburg... Roanoke player loses his mind....PK for CNU....2-1 with 12 to go

Announcer:  "...the tension is so tense you can cut it with a knife"

Just checked the box score and saw this...
2nd   77:37   Andrew Maeso (unassisted) - *Fracas in box after keeper control

BTW, looks like CNU played 27 players with 22 getting 30+ minutes!

PaulNewman

Capital really 7-1 over Hanover?  Solid.  John Carroll struggling with 2-0 loss to Penn St-B....DePauw nips snakebit Wash U....CMU very excellent win 2-0 last I checked over Lycoming....Kenyon up 5-0 on Wilmington....Lynchburg pulls one back against Dickinson...