BB: SAA: Southern Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, April 29, 2012, 07:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

infielddad

Quote from: LynxCat39 on February 09, 2014, 07:14:25 PM
Millsaps has a midweek game against Belmont, and then hosts old SCAC foe Trinity for a 3-game set over the weekend.

This is so great. For baseball, this is a fierce rivalry with terrific programs, two of the best coaches in any level of college baseball, and, when the 9 innings are done, some of the great friendships.  This is so terrific for their players and schools, knowing Coach Page and Coach Scannell made this happen.

34sidewinder

Agreed. These are the two teams from the old SCAC days that are relevant on a national level these days. What Millsaps did last year was a real feat. That's a program I always respected and a lineup I never looked forward to facing. Should be cool to see them clash with the Trinity boys again.

Thanks to LynxCat39 for the good write ups on Rhodes' weekend. Long way to go for my lynx cats (although the Huntingdon win looked to be a good one). Rhodes has a tough weekend coming up with a "quick" trip to NC.

Looking forward to following another year of D3 baseball.

Ralph Turner

Welcome LynxCat39.  Keep posting!  +1!

BatDoughnut

Hope the Trinity/Millsaps series this weekend is a great one. It will be a huge measuring stick for Millsaps as Trinity always has an outstanding team. Pitching and defense wins and both squads can bring 2-3 quality starters. Hats off to both coaches willing to make this matchup happen.

LynxCat39

Quote from: BatDoughnut on February 11, 2014, 01:47:59 PM
Hope the Trinity/Millsaps series this weekend is a great one. It will be a huge measuring stick for Millsaps as Trinity always has an outstanding team. Pitching and defense wins and both squads can bring 2-3 quality starters. Hats off to both coaches willing to make this matchup happen.

It doesn't matter who you are throwing, you can NEVER count out the Majors' offense at home on the small field. Millsaps has the ability, especially on their own field, to put up 10-12 runs any given game. Should be interesting to see how they fare against Trinity's power arms though. Millsaps, although having quality starters, usually does not have your stereotypical "ace" or shut-down guy in their rotation, but rather a group of guys who can all get the job done. I don't know much about this year's Trinity squad, but I'm assuming they can hit like in the past. I think there's a good chance 2 of the 3 games end up being more offense than pitching and defense, with run totals into the high 'teens.

BatDoughnut

LynxCat39 you could be right. I watched Millsaps at Huntingdon last weekend and their pitching coach only let the starters go around 5 inn. this early in the season. If the bullpen does not come up big, the games could be high-scoring (at least for Trinity!).

LynxCat39

I was down in Montgomery too, but only saw the Rhodes/Huntingdon and Rhodes/Randolph-Macon game. Couldn't make it to the Rhodes/Millsaps game. And this early in the season, who knows how long Coach Page will let his starters run. Forecast for the weekend is mid-60s, so I don't see weather stopping the starters from going deep into the game. Millsaps' Achilles heel has typically been the back end of their pen, so that could be the difference maker in the series.

LynxCat39

Rhodes road trip to NC this weekend cancelled (I'm guessing due to weather). Instead are playing a double-header at home against Lemoyne-Owen College. Should be a (somewhat) easy two wins for the Lynx to bring them to 3-2 on the year

LynxCat39

Rhodes College squeaks out a win against visiting Lemoyne-Owen in the 7 inning game of today's double-header.

RP Thomas Beamish picks up his second win of the season, after coming in for SP Blake Glauben who gave up 5 runs (3 earned) through 5 innings, only walking one better while striking out 9. Rhodes fell behind 5-1 after the top half of the 5th, but scratched across 4 in the bottom of the inning with a 2-out rally capped by a 2-run, pinch hit single by OF Wil Gietema. In the 6th, Rhodes took the lead on a bases loaded HBP by Strother White.

Offensively, Rhodes was led by Bill Munson and Andrew Wallis, both going 2-3 with an RBI.

Defensively, Rhodes had 3 errors in the field, resulting in two unearned runs.

108 Stitches

Trinity mauled Millsaps in game 1. 11-2, 17 hits by TU.  Bottom half of the order is now coming around for TU. Game 2 coming up.

LynxCat39

Rhodes takes the second game from Lemoyne-Owen 5-1. This was a much cleaner game, with a strong start by Adam Putnam, who went 5 shutout innings while scattering 3 hits and striking out 8. The Lynx had one error.

Offensively, Rhodes totaled 9 hits in the 7 inning game, with Walker McWherter and Justin Genter having 2 each.

BatDoughnut

Millsaps came back to win the second game 5-3. Trinity tied up the game 3-3 with a solo HR in the eighth and then got the next two batters on second and third with no outs. Millsaps was able to get out of it without another run being scored. Millsaps picked up two in the eighth and then ended a Trinity rally in the ninth to get the win.

Trinity won the first game 11-2 but only led 3-1 after 7. Except for the late innings that led to the blowout, it was a great couple of games played in Jackson this afternoon.

108 Stitches

Dog fight going on at Millsaps. Tied 10-10 top 10.

Trinity goes up 2-0, then 2-1, Millsap goes up 5-2, Trinity comes back 5-5, Millsaps goes up 6-5, then goes up 9-5, Trinity makes it, 9-7, then Millsaps goes up 10-7, Trinity ties it up top of 9 10-10....

The GameCentral site is HORRIBLE, updates random. Getting Tex'd updates from someone there.
Would expect nothing but this from these two teams, unfortunately someone is going to have to lose.

108 Stitches

Game over Trinity wins 13-10 in 11 innings. 20 hits for TU and 15 for Millsaps.

Sounds like quite a back and forth game. Text I received was Millsap is the best team TU has seen this season.

BatDoughnut

The Millsaps/Trinity weekend series was one of the best I have seen. Other than the last two innings of the first game, this was as close as baseball could be played. Millsaps came close to holding on to game 3 but it wasn't meant to be. Anyone playing Trinity this year will face a seeminging unlimited number of pitchers that can all throw upper 80s or lower 90s. Both teams can hit. Hope they meet up again in Appleton.