MBB: Presidents' Athletic Conference

Started by joe smith, February 11, 2005, 03:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Daddy

Kudos to the Bison and hope they do something good against JC.

jcu87alum

I know this is a response to a dated item, but it's still on this page.  To MasterCardinal, Franciscan University is NOT a Jesuit school . . . it is a Franciscan school, i.e. run by the Franciscan order, not the Jesuits.  The Jesuits take a back seat to no one when it comes to rigid academic priorities, but if they were so rigid as to limit athletics, there'd be no teams from Georgetown, Boston College, Loyola Marymount, USF, John Carroll, Fordham, Gonzaga, Marquette, St. Louis U., et al (all Jesuit colleges and universities).

d-mac

It's time for the Big Dance... the teams are selected... the games are scheduled... and now 48 men's and 50 women's teams will take to the court this weekend with the same goal... a national title.
But who will win? The tournament previews are tonight on "http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville">Hoopsville"!!!

Sunday night we were live when the teams were selected and we found out who was in and out. The women's bracket was done relatively well... the men's bracket seems to be a bit of a disappointment.

But now we are looking ahead at the big games this weekend. From now on its win or go home.

One of those men's teams that is one of the hottest in the nation is #17 Gustavus Adulphus... who is riding an 18-game winning streak into the NCAA Tournament. The Gusties now will take on Lawrence on Thursday and could face the defending National Champs, UW-Stevens Point on Saturday. So, what might Mark Hanson be thinking. We will hear from him tonight and how his team has recovered from their 4-5 start to the season.

Now... the NCAA doesn't seed the Men's and Women's Brackets... but we will!
Tonight, live on the air, we will seed the men's and women's brackets according to how we see it and how we think the NCAA was thinking. So you can get an idea of who the NCAA thinks are the top teams and who might be hosting games in the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 (Regionals).

And there are new #1 teams in both the Men's and Women's Top-25 this week... but barely. UW-Stevens Point is just points ahead of Amherst on the men's side. And on the women's, it is just a point between Scranton and Bowdoin.

We will breakdown the final regular season Top-25 and try and figure out what the voters were thinking. Along with pointing out how not all of the Top-25 made the tournament.

And of course, we will have live regional reports from around the nation and take your questions and comments live on the air.

So come join us online and LIVE from 8PM - 10PM Eastern!

"http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville">Hoopsville": only place where you can listen or chat about Division III Basketball in the nation.

Go to the "http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville">Hoopsville" page for information on how you can listen in and chat with us live!

Toph

joe smith

As you can see not many people post on this thread so insulting the Bethany fans is basically a waste of time being im the only Bethany poster on here and I could care less.

Big Daddy

The PAC is adding Thomas More as the 7th member of the conference in all sports beginning in the fall of 2005. They will also be eligible for all conference titles from the start.

Press release said they believe the 2-year wait for automatic bids to the tournaments will be waived by the NCAA.

Thomas More is across the river from Cincinnati so there's some long drives to and from the western PA area. Must have in mind adding some other schools along I-71 & I-75. Doesn't make much sense to me.

Ralph Turner

Big Daddy, I think that the Pres AC has 1-3 schools in mind, especially some from the southern Ohio-southeastern Indiana region.

The AQ issue extends to every sport.  Thomas More's addition will give the Pres AC an AQ in football, volleyball, men's and women's hoops,  men's and women's soccer, baseball and softball.

There are even discussions about extending the AQ procedures to Men's and Women's Tennis (where TMC would be the 7th for both), to Cross Country (where TMC would be the 5th Men's team and the 7th Women's team) and to Golf (where TMC would be the 6th Men's and the 4th Women's teams).

As I have followed the new Provisionals joining D3, I do not see any better choices for the Pres AC to gain members in the near future  One travel partner who sees the Pres AC as a more compatible conference may be possible to find.

Big Daddy

Ralph,

To me there's a half dozen D-3 schools here in western PA that would be more natural fits for the PAC if expansion is what their looking for. Plus there's other NAIA school & Penn State branch campuses that have been talking about going D-3.  

The natural rivalry aspect of these relatively close schools translates into increased people in the stands and a more exciting atmosphere plus more gate & concession money. Just look at the Geneva/Westminster game of this past year. Biggest crowd of the year for Geneva. Who from Westminster is going to drive to northern KY for a game in January?

Depending on which team from the PAC your talking about, the drive from Pittsburgh to the I-75/I-275 split in KY by bus is 5-6 hours DEPENDING ON TRAFFIC around Columbus and Cincy.

My head is still spinning from this news. Maybe the head-cheeses have a grand idea but I think it's a DUMB IDEA. Tuition will have to increase a thousand dollars a semester to cover transportation charges.

I'm done ranting...........someone please explain it to me.

Big Daddy

And 1 more thing...........I scooped the Grand Wizard Pat Coleman with this story!!!! You've got to quit taking afternoon naps PAT!!!!

Pat Coleman

Big Daddy,

Sorry. I posted it on D3football.com at 2:15 and on D3hoops.com at 7:30. I thought in April it would be ok for me to feed my kids dinner before I got things updated for you. Sorry if that bothers you.

Pat Coleman

And don't call me Grand Wizard. That's a hate-filled term and I want nothing to do with it.

Ralph Turner

Big Daddy, the transition to D3 would take at least until 2012 for NAIA and non-align Penn State schools.  Also, I understand that the NAIA has changed their by-laws so that any NAIA school that declares for the NCAA is ineligible for the NAIA playoffs.  That means that a program is in the intercollegiate athletic winderness for some students' entire athletic career.  IMHO, very few NAIA schools will make the move now.  TMC apparently was the quickest fix.

Earlier in this thread, Master Cardinal postulated that those eastern PA D3's did not wish to leave where they were for the Presidents' AC.  I trust his impressions.  The Presidents AC realized that they must move elsewhere and TMC was excited to oblige.

(Message edited by rturner on April 6, 2005)

Big Daddy

Sorry Pat,

Your correct, that's a bad term to use. Bad choice of words on my part but I didn't mean it in that context.  

But...........You seem to be able to throw a dig out but not able to take one very well.  

Ralph,

I hear ya and what your saying about the NAIA's and such......it's just that I see how Geneva's overall performance in footbal and basketball has slipped over the recent years and I believe one of the major reasons is the geography of their conference. Just isn't that much local interest when they schedule teams from distant places. It's still small-college sports and I think they still need some sort of semi-local/regional flavor to generate fan interest.  

Guess I still remember (at least to me) what I'd call(or remember) the best years of the PAC when Allegheny, Hiram, Case & John Carrol where here but I guess that's a pipe dream to see that happen again.

Hope it's sucessful for the PAC.............I just don't think it will. We'll see in 10 years.

hopefan

As a former resident of Western Pa, my reaction too was what a mismatch of geographics.  The allure of the PrAC is the close proximity of the schools... To bring in T More some 600 miles away makes no sense -  Way too much travel (at least 3 trips assuming playing each school home and away) for Thomas More, and one additional long trip for each of the original members.  Yet the NCAA tournament structure is based totally on geographics - limiting travel -  rather than logical seedings.... NO SENSE
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

Pat Coleman

Thomas More appears to be 270 miles from W&J, 330 miles from Thiel, 260 from Bethany, 300 miles from Waynesburg, 340 miles from Grove City and 320 miles from Westminster.

Guess we'll have to see who else they pull into the league.