World Cup and European leagues

Started by Jim Matson, June 11, 2006, 12:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I said they know they belong because they've seen the success before.  Beasley and Donovan winning gold and silver boots on the way to some spectacular upsets in the Saudi Arabia tournament was a big step up for us, no matter what the previous finishes were.  The publicity, etc.  These guys not only expect to win, but others expect it as well.  That's unique.  Most every one of these guys expects a chance at Euro play (or has it already).  This is a new generation.  They just need to find some consistency.

Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

SU97

Quote from: Hoops Fan on July 21, 2007, 11:10:52 AM

I said they know they belong because they've seen the success before.  Beasley and Donovan winning gold and silver boots on the way to some spectacular upsets in the Saudi Arabia tournament was a big step up for us, no matter what the previous finishes were.  The publicity, etc.  These guys not only expect to win, but others expect it as well.  That's unique.  Most every one of these guys expects a chance at Euro play (or has it already).  This is a new generation.  They just need to find some consistency.

I apologize, I must have read it out of context.  I thought you were talking about the current crop on U-20 side (generation) due to the Brazil comments.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: SU97 on July 21, 2007, 11:23:59 AM
Quote from: Hoops Fan on July 21, 2007, 11:10:52 AM

I apologize, I must have read it out of context.  I thought you were talking about the current crop on U-20 side (generation) due to the Brazil comments.

No, I was.  I was just saying that the current senior team had to earn the respect that the current U-20's seem to have grown up in.  This is the first one coming with really high expectations.

sac

Any thoughts on the Prem season this year.

I like the moves ManU made in the off-season, they'd be my favorite.  I also like the moves Liverpool made, but I don't think its enough to catch Chelsea and ManU.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Liverpool has a shot, but if ManU actually gets Tevez, they will be unstoppable.  Chelsea will start at a disadvantage because of all the injuries.

Stinger

It's Man U, then everyone else.

I love Rafa's grab of Fernando Torres from Atletico.  They should have the firepower to score some goals this year. 

There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

Nigel Powers - Goldmember

joepieters

I see it this way

Man United
Chelsea
Arsenal
Liverpool
Portsmouth
Spurs

I don't suspect it will be nearly as close as it was last year, however.  Chelsea loses Drogba and Essien during the African Cup of Nations Tournament.  Man United loses no one of such import to their lineup to that Tournament, and they will pull away at that time.

I picked the Gunners ahead of Liverpool because I'm a Gunners fan.  Although losing Toure to the AFN could be devastating to this young team.

Pompey has done some extraordinary things via the transfer window, again.  I look for them to make a very strong run for a Champions League spot.

sac

After what happened to Arsenal last year when Henry was injured, I 'd be more worried now that he's gone.

Hoosier Titan

I too look for Arsenal to be in danger of dropping out of the top four due to the departure of Henry.

As a Liverpool supporter, I hope the off-season acquisitions are enough.  I loved Torres in the World Cup--hope he is the consistent striker the Reds have been lacking. 

You'll never walk alone.

Stinger

My wife and her soccer team are taking in the Dutch Super Cup (Johan Cruijff Shield) tomorrow night  in Amsterdam. It's Ajax and PSV. That should be a doozy. I am pretty jealous.

Feilhaber to Derby County.
There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

Nigel Powers - Goldmember

WLCALUM83

2007 German Bundesliga Opening Match Final:

Schalke 2, Stuttgart 2.  (One of Schalke's goals was an own goal, and that squad had tone shot bounce off a side post, and a second barely miss the net, both in the second half).

Sounds like Bayern Munich wants the top spot real bad after finishing 4th last season, from what the match commentator said.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

The one year I don't take him for my fantasy squad, Gerard puts a goal in the first match of the season.  Hargreaves better do something to make up for it.

sac

Not sure how aware people are but Sunday is already a big day in the Premiership.

Liverpool host Chelsea, and ManCity host ManU who've lost Rooney for awhile.

Nice double-header.

ScotsFan

Quote from: sac on August 13, 2007, 07:43:14 PM
...and ManCity host ManU who've lost Rooney for awhile.

With that injury to Rooney, it looks as though that Tevez transfer is HUGE for ManU!  Although the Red Devils will have to wait a couple of months to get Rooney and Tevez on the pitch together, at least having Tevez out there should lessen the blow a bit of losing Rooney.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Ronaldo and Carrick are going to have to wake up, though.  United looked a bit sluggish in that first match.