University Athletic Association

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:06:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

This is the new home of UAA discussion. Welcome aboard, everyone.

ADL70

SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

ADL70

The Plain Dealer reports 70 Spartans in camp.  No official word yet on return of any of the '04 non-participants.
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

ADL70

Great job all on the Kickoff.

To nit pick:

The UAA page and team page for CMU have different forecasts.

I'm pleased with the confidence shown in CWRU by the reporter and by Pat and Keith.  Your ranking is fair to somewhat optimistic.  Pat and Keith I think you have overestimated CMU.  CWRU won last year and no other team held them to fewer points.  No quarrell with ranking them higher, but not by 25 spots.  The reporter predicts Case wins.

And the reporter uses the dreaded "Case Western", please either CWRU or Case.

Recognizing that factchecking every source would be momumental, it seems CWRU is putting out misinformation or information altered by subsequent events:

Harvey #1 in nation in pass eff, before injury?  Highest I see is #27 - 149.7 after week 3 (Kenyon).  He did have a good game against Wooster, and ended with a rating in the 130s.  He was 1 of 5 with 4 sacks in the one half he played in the opener, but the one comp was a TD.

OK, 9 different FR started one or both of the last 2 games, but 4 of them aren't with the team this year (both QBs and OL and DL starters).

I count 7 SR s who either started last year or are forecast to challenge this year, so seems more than 4 will see significant action.

From the posted roster:

No Cellura (top WR), Minter or Harris (all UAA) back from 03.

Conspicuous by absence:  OL- Slobidsky; DL-McCrakin & Katitus; LB-Heath & Bonsiewich (offset somewhat by return of all UAA Decesare from 03)

Still the Kickoff is an amazing accomplishment!!
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

Pat Coleman

Thanks. We felt the writer overestimated the entire UAA (had everyone 7-3 or better) and we went through and re-analyzed the records for the conference capsule. I guess we failed to pass that update along to the affected schools.

I also wouldn't lose sleep over the difference between being #99 and #124. There's very little separating teams at that point.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

ADL70

I don't disagree with those points.  The ratings were clearly too high for the next to last rated conference.  ;) 
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

4u

cwru70,
Don't worry so much about who's missing at Case.  Look what you have-- a transfer QB from Valpo who will see serious time, a transfer DL from powerful D2 Michigan Tech, a 6'5" 280# pound freshman with good feet, and a slew of kids coming back with experience.  You know I think a lot of that staff, too.  I think Case is in a nice position this fall.  The opener at Oberlin is a must-win game.  Then, the momentum of kicking off the new facility should carry them through week two. 
4u
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve "Pre" Prefontaine

jdean

I would admit to having a twisted sense of humor but when I saw "The opener at Oberlin is a must-win game"
I fell on the floor in laughter. I never, never, thought I'd see Oberlin and must win in the same sentence.

ADL70

And the roster now lists Minter back to add experience at WR.  Started for CWRU in 03 and was Navy's #4 receiver in 01, DNP in 02 or 04...now if he can just get Cellura, his HS teammate, back.

I agree the newcomers look great on paper.  Esp. the OL FR - 6'4 285. 6'5 275, 6'3 280, and 6'2 290!  And #s are up from last year's 54 to 67.

I wasn't lamented the losses, as much as reporting them.  Things are moving in the right direction!!
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

4u

cwru70,
I didn't think you were, cwru70.  I was just making sure you knew there were some definite positives as well.  Minter's return is a nice addition,
4u
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve "Pre" Prefontaine

formerd3db

jdean:
Come on now :)!  People said that when Oberlin pulled a fast one and did well a couple of seasons ago.  It's not impossible and some other people will be laughing if Oberlin were to pull an upset in that season opener (although probably less likely this year).

"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

formerd3db

4u:
Hope things have been going well.  Where did the summer go?  Looking forward our opener at JCU on Sept. 10th.  A possibility that I might be there (working of course!), but not sure as yet.  How about you - are you thinking of going?

Not quite sure how to assess our team just yet, but will have a better idea after this upcoming weekend's final annual intra-squad game.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

ADL70

Pat

I couldn't find UAA in the index for ATR, but I see it's being covered in GL again.
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

ADL70

4u

Still the non-return of so many players with lots of p/t two years in a row, is an issue that warrants a look.  The other 3 UAA teams returned all their non-senior all UAA players.
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

Pat Coleman

The Great Lakes UAA teams are being covered in the Great Lakes again.
The Midwest UAA teams are being covered in the Midwest again.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.