FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndOne

WHEATON FOOTBALL HAZING CASE STATUS

As you will recall, back in March, former Wheaton College football player Noah Spielman accepted a plea agreement wherein he pleaded guilty to misdemeanor battery in exchange for the original felony charges of aggravated battery, unlawful restraint, and mob action being dropped. Instead of possible jail time, he was sentenced to one year of conditional discharge and 100 hours of community service.

As it turns out, the DuPage County States Attorney has also offered plea deals to fellow defendants Kyler Kregel, Benjamin Pettway, Samuel TeBos, and James Cooksey. Exact details of the possible deals have not been released, but they are expected to be similar to the one accepted by Spielman.

To date, Kregel, Pettway, and TeBos have yet to decide whether or not to accept the Agreements. Their deadline for doing so is tomorrow morning at 9:00 when they are next due in court. Attorneys for the three have indicated that they are leaning toward taking the deals.

Cooksey has rejected the Agreement and declared his intent to have a bench trial. He is scheduled to face charges of aggravated battery, unlawful restraint, and mob action on July 10. However, it's doubtful that the trial will actually start as soon as July 10th. Cooksey is also due in court tomorrow morning, at which time Judge Telander is expected to rule on a motion to allow extended media coverage of the trial.

This where the case stands at this time.

AndOne

Quote from: USee on May 27, 2018, 10:38:16 AM

I think IWU is going to be good but losing 6 of their 9 starting linemen (on O and D) is a huge hurdle given what NCC and Wheaton have coming back. I'll have more to say later this summer but I think the big 2 are the teams to beat with IWU and Carthage vying for 3rd. Millikin has a chance to surprise if they take a step forward this year.

It should be a very competitive CCIW this year.

Although few, if any, of us pay anywhere near as much attention to them as we do to the D3Football.com rankings, the Street & Smith preseason Top 20 list has NCC ranked 7th, and Wheaton slotted 13th. Lindy's has Wheaton at 16th, with NCC 20th.

matblake

Saw this over on the IIAC board and thought I would bring it over here.  Logan's stuff is always interesting.

https://www.hansenratings.com/

Dr. Acula

Quote from: matblake on June 12, 2018, 09:55:56 AM
Saw this over on the IIAC board and thought I would bring it over here.  Logan's stuff is always interesting.

https://www.hansenratings.com/

Out of curiosity I looked at the dead center of his rankings.  Who is the very definition of an average D3 team (Merchant Marine, BTW).  It made me sad as a long time D3 fan to see Augustana and Rowan right there too.  Something about that just doesn't seem right.   

Gregory Sager

By contrast, seeing North Park there fills me with satisfaction in the progress that the program has made under Mike Conway.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Dr. Acula

Valuable perspective there, Gregory.  Since many of the posters in the NR are fans of teams with aspirations of playoff runs annually sometimes I forget to take a step back occasionally and realize that there are 241 programs in D3.  Making the playoffs is very difficult.  For the vast majority being competitive in their conference (especially one like the CCIW) is a major victory on its own.

Gregory Sager

That's particularly true for North Park, since for most of NPU's five and a half decades in this league the Vikings weren't able to compete with more than one or two (or sometimes three) CCIW teams in any given season. Now, here in the Conway era, even though the Vikings aren't breaking even yet in the standings, there's only two CCIW programs left with which NPU can't at least hang around for four quarters on a year-by-year basis.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

USee

4 CCIW schools in Hansens top 30

5. Wheaton
9. North Central
25. IWU
28. Carthage

AndOne

Quote from: USee on June 13, 2018, 03:23:54 PM

5. Wheaton
9. North Central
25. IWU
28. Carthage

I think IWU is going to be good but losing 6 of their 9 starting linemen (on O and D) is a huge hurdle given what NCC and Wheaton have coming back. I'll have more to say later this summer but I think the big 2 are the teams to beat with IWU and Carthage vying for 3rd. Millikin has a chance to surprise if they take a step forward this year.

Seems like a very accurate prediction.  🤔 🤗

USee

Quote from: AndOne on June 13, 2018, 10:17:08 PM
Quote from: USee on June 13, 2018, 03:23:54 PM

5. Wheaton
9. North Central
25. IWU
28. Carthage

Seems like a very accurate prediction.  🤔 🤗

The others (241 total D3 teams):
62. WashU
82. Millikin
118. Augie
125. North Park
136. Elmhurst
179. Carroll

wally_wabash

"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

USee

Gregory Sager

... and it's likely that Wash U never will be a full member. The UAA is a far more congenial home for that school.

However, Wash U is now a paid-up, functioning associate member of the CCIW for the sport of football. And the league office is treating the Bears as such. Note the most recent football presser that CCIW SID Mike Krizman has put up on the league's website:

http://www.cciw.org/news/2018/6/13/three-cciw-student-athletes-named-preseason-football-all-americans-by-street-smiths-and-lindys-sports.aspx

matblake

You can now purchase Kickoff 2018.  I've enjoyed this purchase every year.  It's a great way to get the D3 football season started and always puts things in a national perspective for me.  In the article, it mentions that on 7/1/18 they'll look at what schools have the most purchases and make sure there are going to be stories about them.  So if you want to see your team in Kickoff (outside of the ranking they do every year) make the purchase.  Make your purchase here:  https://d3football.prestosports.com/notables/2018/06/order-kickoff-2018-now