BB: NCAC: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by woosterbooster, December 29, 2005, 03:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Acula

Quote from: CollegeGolf18 on January 18, 2019, 10:34:34 PM
Wabash's 2019 schedule is out: https://sports.wabash.edu/schedule.aspx?schedule=565

I like what I see here they have a trip to Tennessee to start off the year and then a Spring Break trip to Arizona once again. Some good teams in AZ. They have a few good teams but a pretty average OOC here, I believe. Kind of odd only seeing three true road OOC games, but alas.

OOC foes are below:
@ Rhodes College // 32-16 last year, open at 18 in the poll
v. Webster (neutral) // 38-10 last year, open at 17 in the poll
v. Transy (neutral) // 17-22 last year
v. Hanover x3 // 8-25 last year
v. Manchester x2 // 20-22 last year
v. Edgewood College x3 // 9-28 last year
@ Baldwin Wallace // 33-14 last year, open at 29 in the poll
v. Rose Hulman, @ Rose // 20-23 last year
v. Anderson (@Victory Field), v. Anderson // 25-20 last year

I think this is pretty solid depending on what the AZ schedule looks like.  The only thing I'd do is maybe dump Hanover or Edgewood for someone at least decent.  I don't need 6 games against door mats in the span of a couple weeks.  As Wabash grows I bet they start pushing the OOC harder.  It's a different mindset going from "Hey, let's win some games and hopefully go 22-20" to "We expect to be in the NCAC tourney every year and we need our OOC to get us ready to contend."  It seems like Martin is trying to push the program toward the latter. 

wally_wabash

I do think the shift to round robin double headers in conference play has mitigated some of the pitching issues, not just with Wabash, but everybody.  The days of cramming four games into one weekend were just brutal.  Some of those Sunday games got out of hand. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Bishopleftiesdad

For me Wabash has always played some real head scratcher's. In the past they consistently had teams like Cleary and Illinois Tech on there schedule. Cleary is a a not so good NAIA team. Illinois Tech has had a few decent years but were again not a very good team. They in the WIAC I believe for one year before transitioning to the NACC.
I understand Hanover, as Wabash has played them reasonably often since the the IIAC, which disbanded in 1950. Then both were members of the Hoosier Conference/Hoosier-Buckeye Confrence.
IIAC: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Intercollegiate_Conference
Hoosier:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoosier%E2%80%93Buckeye_Conference

Wabash really likes to hold on to Tradition, and plays some of the teams that were in those conferences every year. So I believe they will still continue to kind of round robin the other Indiana schools, by getting one or two of them on their schedule every year, however, I do not see the likes of Cleary and Edgewood being on their schedules very long. When they do travel they try to get to locations where they have Alumni, hence the short trips early in the spring, before the big trip to either Fla or Arizona.

Bishopleftiesdad

Quote from: wally_wabash on January 22, 2019, 10:33:04 AM
I do think the shift to round robin double headers in conference play has mitigated some of the pitching issues, not just with Wabash, but everybody.  The days of cramming four games into one weekend were just brutal.  Some of those Sunday games got out of hand. 
I completely agree. However they will need to find time to get there 3 and four pitchers work. Those pitchers may be needed for the NCAC tourney and the NCAA. With games going to 9 innings (I think this is correct) it will make relieve pitching more important. Some of the 3 and 4 guys can get work in as relievers.

wally_wabash

Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on January 22, 2019, 10:39:17 AM
For me Wabash has always played some real head scratcher's. In the past they consistently had teams like Cleary and Illinois Tech on there schedule. Cleary is a a not so good NAIA team. Illinois Tech has had a few decent years but were again not a very good team. They in the WIAC I believe for one year before transitioning to the NACC.
I understand Hanover, as Wabash has played them reasonably often since the the IIAC, which disbanded in 1950. Then both were members of the Hoosier Conference/Hoosier-Buckeye Confrence.

Wabash really likes to hold on to Tradition, and plays some of the teams that were in those conferences every year. So I believe they will still continue to kind of round robin the other Indiana schools, by getting one or two of them on their schedule every year, however, I do not see the likes of Cleary and Edgewood being on their schedules very long. When they do travel they try to get to locations where they have Alumni, hence the short trips early in the spring, before the big trip to either Fla or Arizona.

More recently than 1950, Wabash and the other schools that regularly pop up on the schedule (Hanover, Franklin, RHIT, Manchester, Anderson) were members of the ICAC that lived until 1998.  The conference lost DePauw and RHIT to the SCAC, added MSJ and Bluffton, and changed their name to the HeartlandCAC (not just Indiana schools at that point), which obviously lives on presently. 

There may be something to that- Wabash playing those teams with the tinge of nostalgia around them, but I think it has more to do with proximity and convenience.  Spring trips are expensive.  Late February trips to find early season games are expensive.  When things in central Indiana finally thaw out later in March, staying close to home and getting midweek games that can be day trips are probably preferred (particularly if/when you might have to bump a game by a day or two because of weather).  I don't think past schedules were curated with much thought about SOS or regional rankings or other NCAA minutiae that teams that are regularly part of that tournament can afford to spend energy on.  With the current momentum in the program and a new forward-thinking AD, I think you'll see Wabash's future baseball schedules being crafted with more thought to the kinds of things that tournament-level teams think about.  More quality D3 opponents, less NAIAs and other non-D3s. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Bishopleftiesdad

I was certainly glad when Tanney was named AD. The gentleman before Tanney, I was never sure he understood Wabash culture.

CollegeGolf18

Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on January 23, 2019, 12:32:06 PM
I was certainly glad when Tanney was named AD. The gentleman before Tanney, I was never sure he understood Wabash culture.

I'm not so sure he understood much.
Former Collegiate Golfer
Current Sports Nut

Dr. Acula

Quote from: wally_wabash on January 23, 2019, 12:05:56 PM
Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on January 22, 2019, 10:39:17 AM

More recently than 1950, Wabash and the other schools that regularly pop up on the schedule (Hanover, Franklin, RHIT, Manchester, Anderson) were members of the ICAC that lived until 1998.  The conference lost DePauw and RHIT to the SCAC, added MSJ and Bluffton, and changed their name to the HeartlandCAC (not just Indiana schools at that point), which obviously lives on presently. 

There may be something to that- Wabash playing those teams with the tinge of nostalgia around them, but I think it has more to do with proximity and convenience.  Spring trips are expensive.  Late February trips to find early season games are expensive.  When things in central Indiana finally thaw out later in March, staying close to home and getting midweek games that can be day trips are probably preferred (particularly if/when you might have to bump a game by a day or two because of weather).  I don't think past schedules were curated with much thought about SOS or regional rankings or other NCAA minutiae that teams that are regularly part of that tournament can afford to spend energy on.  With the current momentum in the program and a new forward-thinking AD, I think you'll see Wabash's future baseball schedules being crafted with more thought to the kinds of things that tournament-level teams think about.  More quality D3 opponents, less NAIAs and other non-D3s.

Where Wabash is at a bit of a disadvantage is that they lack higher level OOC options nearby.  Denison can drive 30 minutes and play Otterbein.  Mount can drive an hour or so and play Wooster or Case.  The relative lack of strength of the HCAC doesn't help Wabash.  You're exactly right that proximity is probably the single biggest factor in OOC scheduling.  Heck, it's one of my main gripes with Mount every season...the seemingly unending string of playing Hiram and the western PA schools in OOC.  But it's because they're close. 

Bishopleftiesdad

OWU finally has their roster out. Looks like there are 11 freshman. Senior class is pretty small.
https://battlingbishops.com/roster.aspx?path=baseball

wally_wabash

The NCAC Preseason poll is probably about what you'd expect.  Wooster is a unanimous pick to win the league, followed by a split decision between Wabash and Denison for #2, then the rest.   

Dr. Acula

OWU picked to finish 8th.  What's going on in Delaware, BLD?  Are they just not getting the talent they once did?

Also, reading the preseason poll release I didn't realize Denison has never won an NCAC baseball title.  Of course I guess it is tough for everyone else when 2 schools have won 28 of the 34 titles.

Bishopleftiesdad

Not sure. The class after my son's was huge, and had, lots of talent. Since then I am not sure. They always have a couple of guys, however no depth.

Dr. Acula

Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on February 21, 2019, 09:22:35 PM
Not sure. The class after my son's was huge, and had, lots of talent. Since then I am not sure. They always have a couple of guys, however no depth.

I guess I was surprised because I'm old enough to remember the Ingles era (and remember how great of a player Mott was for him).  In my mind OWU is always good to very good.  Mott has had a couple really nice years, but his career winning percentage is .536 which shocked me. 

Pops33

OWU used to be a given for the conference tournament every year and one of the teams that seemed to be always in the mix for the #1 or#2 slot.  They have only made 2 of the last 6 tournaments and don't appear to have any momentum going in to this year.  Every team has some down years so maybe this is just a temporary lull.   As my brother-in-law says, "It's more about the Jimmys and the Joes than the Xs and Os".  OWU needs to have some greater success recruiting to get that depth that makes good programs succeed year after year.  Good luck to them as the conference always seems better when OWU is in the mix.

Bishopleftiesdad

OWU used to get many of the non D1 players from Central Ohio, reviewing the rosters those numbers have been going down. They still have quite a few Ohio players. But not like they used to. OWU used to consistently win 20+ games a year. Now it seems feast or famine.