WBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletics Association

Started by MJA, February 24, 2005, 06:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggy

Congrats to the Knights for knocking off Albion for a fourth time and advancing to the elite 8!

Dark Knight

The knights pulled out a 64-56 win against Albion this evening, the fourth knight victory over the Britons this season. The Brits lost only one other game all year.

The knights got off to a fast start, led by 8 at the half, and increased the lead to 10 or 12 early in the second half. After that point, the Britons in a gritty performance inched back into the game, getting their first tie of the game with a couple of minutes left.  

The knights pulled it out with clutch free-throw shooting at the end of the game.  

Congratulations to the Britons on a great season, and congrats to the Knights on reaching the elite 8, after not being ranked almost the entire season!

It was a good crowd. The bottom-level bleachers were pretty well full and the staff had to open one of the top-level bleachers for excess fans.

The knights play Milliken tomorrow night at 7:00. Massey's latest rating has Milliken at #2 and Calvin at #3, so it should be a great game!

wizard

Milliken, the only team to defeat the Knights in their tournament run just won the national championship.  So, hold your heads high, Calvin.  Congratulations on a very remarkable season.

Flying Dutch Fan

Congrats to the Hope women on their preseason ranking of 15th.  The upcoming MIAA/CCIW tournament at Calvin should be great, with Wheaton (11th), Hope (15th), Calvin (received some votes), and Carthage.
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

knightrider

I am just courious if anyone can tell me what happened to Ruth Sventickas from albion.  i've been looking at their roster online and she isn't there.  It's kind of interesting if they loss one of their first team miaa players after her sophemore year. 
Calvin is looking good.  I'm excited for another year.  Should be close at the top.  Here's to a good season.

Flying Dutch Fan

k-rider - I agree about Sventickas being a big loss for Albion.  She pretty much carried the team for while when Casky was hurt last year.

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

goodknight

knightrider

FDF- do you know where she went, or what happened to her?  I was told that if anyone would know other than the albion faithful that it would be the hope faithful, because everyone I talk to over here doesn't have a clue.

dropkick11

Without Sventickas, what does Albion have..who will be there go to players.....and will it change there style...Is there going to be a repeat of their NCAA appearance last year? 

Flying Dutch Fan

I have no idea what happened to Sventikas - but would love to find out

John Wooden

goodknight

Flying Dutch Fan

2005-06 MIAA Pre-Season
Coaches' Women's Basketball Poll

1. Hope ( 8 ) 8
2. Albion 19
3. Calvin 21
4. Alma (1) 32
5. Olivet 37
6. Tri-State 47
7. Saint Mary's 51
8. Kalmazoo 53
9. Adrian 56

John Wooden

goodknight

knightrider

found out sventicas just decided not to play this year.  She is still at albion, just not playing.  In my evaluation of their team, they don't have  much other than guard jaime fornetti, and she isn't a huge threat.  I think Alma will be tougher than Albion this year, but I think it is going to come down to Hope v Calvin once again.  Maybe its too early for that prediction, but I just think thats how its going to be.

Flying Dutch Fan

The annual Meet the Dutch is on Friday at the new DeVos arena.  First time for us to see the teams and the new arena.  Doors open at 5:30 - Womens team at 6, Men at 7

John Wooden

goodknight

albinomascot19

I hear Ruthie is doing an internship so she decided not to play.  I heard this from one of the girls that played on Albion's JV roster last year.  I think the britons will still be able to do fairly well.   And now with the field expanding, its possible there could be three teams out of the MIAA in the NCAA tournament!

PCCoach

;D
What's going on at K?  Anyone have any info on the new coach or how they are going to be?  I say middle of the pack for the K women...new and positive sometimes can be good for at least 2-3 wins.  Go Lady Hornets!!!

Dark Knight

From the coach's preview, it sounds as though Calvin has one of its most inexperienced teams ever, and one of its most talented. Coach Ross is hoping for them to be playing well by the time the MIAA (and NCAA) tournament rolls around.

http://www.calvin.edu/sports/preview/winter.htm#wbasket

In their scrimmage with Grand Valley (which was a game from Grand Valley's perspective), 6'1" Marcia Harris was a freshman starter and the knights' second-leading scorer, with 10 of the knights' 48 points.