FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OzJohnnie

The Hawks take on the Gold Coast Suns today in cold but sunny Launceston, Tasmania.  It's a big game.  Hawthorn superstar Tom Mitchell plays his 100th match.  And both Paul Puopolo and Ben McEvoy take the field despite their wifes being due to start labor at any moment.

We were pumped twice last year by the hapless Suns in a pair of really poor efforts from the Hawks.  This year it's revenge and another game to keep the season alive.

EDIT: Grammar question - does anyone know if the correct usage above is wives or wifes?  Wifes comes up as not a word but it seems to me that if you're talking about multiple single wifes then wifes it is.  While if you're talking about multiple women as wife to a man then it's wives.  A quick Google search didn't find me the answer.

EDIT II: A longer Google search says that wifes isn't a word and shouldn't be used.  Still seems strange.  It seems to me that if you're talking about multiple men and use wives then the women are in a group that are associated with all the men.  And while I know Tommies may be into that sort of thing it gives me the creeps.
[  

OzJohnnie

After a lackluster start the Hawks turned on the defensive screws and limited the Suns to 21 additional points after the first quarter break to go out big winners, 96-43.

Hawthorn have slowly developed a smoothering defense which just locks down the opposition and presents a virtually impenetrable mid-field zone.  It takes speed and extreme kicking skills to break the Hawthorn defense down.

Highlights below.  A spectacular, high-flying mark is grabbed at 2:33.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO5L7Qx7jO0
[  

sjusection105

Quote from: OzJohnnie on June 22, 2018, 10:36:43 PM

EDIT: Grammar question - does anyone know if the correct usage above is wives or wifes?  Wifes comes up as not a word but it seems to me that if you're talking about multiple single wifes then wifes it is.  While if you're talking about multiple women as wife to a man then it's wives.  A quick Google search didn't find me the answer.

EDIT II: A longer Google search says that wifes isn't a word and shouldn't be used.  Still seems strange.  It seems to me that if you're talking about multiple men and use wives then the women are in a group that are associated with all the men.  And while I know Tommies may be into that sort of thing it gives me the creeps.

It's my understanding this would fall under joint possessives. Example: "This is Bill and Charlie and their wives Helen and Charlotte"
As of now they're on DOUBLE SECRET Probation!

OzJohnnie

I believe you are correct, sir. English was my toughest subject to motivate for.  Or for which to maintain motivation.
[  

OldAuggie

While on our daughters orientation/registration visit at UW-Stout* we met several designated student leaders but at the end of the day two stood out; the starting QB and the stud RB for the Blue Devils. Both men were true leaders, represented the school very well throughout the day and went above and beyond any kind of maturity I would have displayed at that age. Admittedly, the bar is set very low there. At home, I looked up the stats and noticed the QB's first start was the now famous UW-Stout vs. UST game last year.

I see a tough game for the Johnnies on September 1st.

*Augsburg does not offer her major.
MIAC champions 1928, 1997

OzJohnnie

OldAuggie back in the day giving school tours.

Quote from: OldAuggie on June 23, 2018, 08:51:51 AM
While on our daughters orientation/registration visit at UW-Stout* we met several designated student leaders but at the end of the day two stood out; the starting QB and the stud RB for the Blue Devils. Both men were true leaders, represented the school very well throughout the day and went above and beyond any kind of maturity I would have displayed at that age. Admittedly, the bar is set very low there. At home, I looked up the stats and noticed the QB's first start was the now famous UW-Stout vs. UST game last year.

[  

BDB

Interestingly, the UST game was J. Dan's only start last year as he filled in for the regular starter who sat for disciplinary reasons I believe. So, not only did Stout win but they did so with a back up quarterback.

Now, maybe things have changed but I expect the regular starting QB Jay Alston to be the starter again this, his senior year when the Blue Devils travel to Collegeville. J. Dan's years to start should come after that.

Tom Thumb

St. Thomas Transfer

Anthony De Feo, OL, 6'9", 295, Dayton University: https://twitter.com/adefeo7?lang=en
Hudl: http://dowww.hudl.com/profile/7948639/Anthony-De-Feo
Notes: Offers from Eastern Illinois University and Murray State University

OldAuggie

Quote from: BlueDevil Bob on June 23, 2018, 09:49:10 AM

Interestingly, the UST game was J. Dan's only start last year as he filled in for the regular starter who sat for disciplinary reasons I believe. So, not only did Stout win but they did so with a back up quarterback.

Now, maybe things have changed but I expect the regular starting QB Jay Alston to be the starter again this, his senior year when the Blue Devils travel to Collegeville. J. Dan's years to start should come after that.
Got it. That is serious depth at the most important position. I suppose many would say that UST took Stout lightly and over played the run but JDan tossed three td's that day.  Burn.

OldAuggie

Quote from: OzJohnnie on June 23, 2018, 09:23:53 AM
OldAuggie back in the day giving school tours.

I resemble that remark. The height is right too.

OzJohnnie

A father buys a lie detector robot that slaps people when they lie.

He decides to test it out at dinner one night. The father asks his son what he did that afternoon.

The son says, "I did some schoolwork."

The robot slaps the son.

The son says, "Ok, Ok. I was at a friend's house watching movies."

Dad asks, "What movie did you watch?"

Son says, "Toy Story."

The robot slaps the son again.

Son says, "Ok, Ok, we were watching Stormy Daniels movies."

Dad says," What? At your age I didn't even know what dirty movies were."

The robot slaps the father!

Mom laughs and says, "Well, he certainly is your son."

The robot slaps the mother.

Robot for sale.
[  

MUC57

OzJohnnie

Now THAT'S funny! Great story! 🇦🇺😀
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

MiacMan

MiacMan

Quote from: Tom Thumb on June 23, 2018, 10:50:21 AM
St. Thomas Transfer

Anthony De Feo, OL, 6'9", 295, Dayton University: https://twitter.com/adefeo7?lang=en
Hudl: http://dowww.hudl.com/profile/7948639/Anthony-De-Feo
Notes: Offers from Eastern Illinois University and Murray State University

Wow, he is one BIG Tomcat!

Mr.MIAC

It looks like someone up at SJ2 really dropped the ball on this one. Check out Lindmark's comments.

Link: http://www.startribune.com/alum-sues-st-john-s-university-over-ethics-fellowship/485705751/

If anyone's interested in donating to a preeminent, fiscally responsible Catholic university--a place that will prudently use your valued contribution to develop leaders of tomorrow and work for the common good--here's where your journey starts.

Link: https://www.stthomas.edu/give/