BB: D-3 Players in minor leagues/MLB

Started by Spence, September 11, 2007, 11:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Ypsi

After yet another stint on the DL (nerve-blocker for his neck problems), Jordan Zimmermann FINALLY had a pretty good start in his final appearance of 2017: 6 innings, 4 hits, 2 runs.  Alas, he still won't get a W for it, as the Detroit Mudhen's bullpen collapses yet again, and they lose 7-4.  At least he didn't take the L. ::)

I've long since gotten over the intoxication of April 2016 (one of the best months any pitcher has ever had), but, being an eternal optimist (especially for D3 guys!), I'm still hopeful they have finally solved his medical problems and he can be the guy Detroit THOUGHT they were getting for 5-years, $110M!

Mr. Ypsi

A very scary incident in Cleveland tonight: Jordan Zimmermann took a first-inning line drive to the face (exit velocity: 106 mph).  The batter, Jason Kipnis, was visibly shaken by what he had inadvertently done.  The good news is that after a couple of minutes Jordan walked off the field under his own power, passed the concussion protocol, and left for X-rays (no word yet on them).  A similar incident occurred at UWSP, where his jaw was broken in two places and he missed nearly a month - this SEEMS to be less serious.

(Hopefully Jordan gets credit for an assist - the ball caromed off his face right to Miggy at first for an easy out! ;D)

UPDATE:  X-rays are back and negative.  Jordan says he was sure early on that it was not like 2007 at UWSP (where he had two plates and 11 screws put in to heal the fractures).  The doctors said then that it was now unbreakable - "I sure tested that tonight!"  Closer examination of the video indicated that the ball grazed his shoulder before hitting his jaw - probably prevented worse injury.  He doesn't think he will miss even one turn in the rotation.

To the credit of Kipnis, he came over to the pitching mound area, and patted JZ on the butt as he exited.  I'd like to believe that ALL players would do the same, but suspect it is at best MOST players.

Mr. Ypsi

Forgot to update.  JZ indeed did not miss a start.  He was not particularly sharp against the Orioles Thursday (4 earned runs in 5.1 innings), but it was plenty good enough for his first win of the season as the Tigers pummeled the Birds into submission, 13-8  (they were up 12-3 when he was pulled).

Bombers798891

Former Ithaca College star Tim Locastro will start in centerfield for the Dodgers today

Mr. Ypsi

Forgot to update with some even better news for Jordan Zimmermann.  Against Tampa Bay on Monday, he went seven innings giving up two hits, 1 walk, and ZERO runs - his best outing in seems like forever.  Alas, his teammates gave him no run support, so he only got a no decision.

Mr. Ypsi

JZ had another good outing today - 5 innings of 2-hit shut-out ball.  He left after only 85 pitches as the flu has been going around the team (he had nothing left in the tank).  That's two straight scoreless starts - perhaps the Tigers are now getting what they hoped for with a 5-year, $110 million contract!  On the other hand, before I get carried away, even when he was a disappointment he has always dominated KC: he is now 4-0, 1.48 ERA against KC for his career.  April 2016 ain't never gonna happen again, but I have hopes he has righted the ship.

Mr. Ypsi

The hard-luck saga of Jordan Zimmermann just took another page.  He has gone on the DL for shoulder inflammation.  I can't recall another case of a pitcher going on the DL for what was described as a 'chronic' problem (as opposed to a specific injury) immediately after pitching 12 consecutive scoreless innings!  (Kind of makes me wonder if the 'flu' story in my previous post was just a cover-up for a degenerating shoulder problem.)

Mr. Ypsi

Jordan Zimmermann is BACK!  Last time out he went 7 innings of only one run to break Detroit's 11-game losing streak.  Tonite he gave up a HR on the first pitch of the game, then Texas never even threatened to score the rest of the way.  8 innings, one run, only four hits.

Mr. Ypsi

Quite the opening day in Toronto yesterday.  Jordan Zimmermann had a perfect game thru 6.2 innings; his Blue Jay counter-part, Marcus Stroman had a no-hitter thru 5.2 innings.  I wonder if there has ever been a double-no-hitter last that long before on opening day?  Neither pitcher figured in the decision, as the game entered the 10th in a scoreless tie, before Tiger rookie, Christin  Stewart hit a 2-run HR.

Bombers798891

In non-Jordan Zimmerman news, Tim Locastro played in 9 games for Arizona, and put up a .364/.563/.364 line in 16 plate appearances. This included the first multi-hit game of his career, and a game in which he reached base all four times he came to the plate, while stealing two bases

Bombers798891

Tim Locastro tied a MLB record by getting hit three tines in one game. He's been playing semi-regularly, and now has 46 plate appearances on the season.

Good to see him doing well

Mr. Ypsi

Back to the Jordan Zimmermann channel! ;D

Today he had his first really good outing since opening day (since then he had gone 0-5 with an era above 6.00 and yet ANOTHER DL stint):  6 innings, 4 hits, 1 run against his former team the Nationals.  Alas, it was nearly enough as his opponent was former Tiger (and probably the best pitcher currently in MLB) Max Scherzer had a shutout until after JZ was lifted.  Max finished with 4 hits, 1 run and 14 Ks in 8 innings.

I have great hopes that Justin Verlander will go to Cooperstown as a Tiger (the great majority of his career), but although he claims fond memories of Detroit (and helped them to four straight division titles), I suspect that Max will go to Cooperstown as a National.  He became an ace (including the 2013 Cy Young) as a Tiger, but he became ridiculously rich and won TWO Cy Youngs and had two no-hitters as a National.  And he's far from done.

Mr. Ypsi

At the risk of over psycho-analyzing Max Scherzer, I think his defection to the Nationals was more ego than money.  The Tigers offered him enough that his family would be set to be top 1% for generations, but he was unlikely to ever be THE ace in Detroit.  Even in his Cy Young year of 2013, my sense of Tigers' fans was that he was still #2 (or at most #1A to Justin Verlander).  (While he then seemed much younger, he is actually only 17 months younger than Justin.)  The Tigers offered him huge money (though less than the Nationals ultimately gave him), but I can't help but think the thought that he would NEVER be #1 was the real motivating factor.

Mr. Ypsi

I doubt I will EVER understand the thinking of MLB managers. ::)  Jordan Zimmermann, in his first start after yet ANOTHER DL stint, had a one-hit shutout (on only 63 pitches) thru five, and got pulled!!  I suppose it was precautionary (first start back from DL), but come on!  A pitch count limit of 90 maybe, but 63??!!