NESCAC

Started by LaPaz, September 11, 2011, 05:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Right

Williams still leading Hamilton 1-0 with about 30 minutes left. I would guess Hamilton has a little more of the possession stats but are absolutely useless in the final 3rd...They are in Williams half but cannot create many dangerous looks and if they cannot find a goal in this game their season will be teetering bigtime.

Bobcat1

Bowdoin continuing to press forward. Montanaro with a big save off a Cooper direct kick from 27 yards out. Bates having issues staying organized its it own end.

blooter442

3-1 Bowdoin, that's brutal for Bates, who has been in this match for all but the last 10 minutes.

Bobcat1

Houseman from Byrd. It's all Bowdoin the last 11 minutes. 3-1 Polar Bears.

Mr.Right

Just took a look at Bowdoin's 3 Goals....1st Goal was Montanaro's fault as he needed to dive and pounce on that ball...He didn't want to get his nose in there and that is surprising...The other 2 Bowdoin Goals were complete defensive breakdowns and losing focus...2nd Half looks like the Bates of the past few years...

Bobcat1

Quote from: Mr.Right on October 17, 2018, 04:38:24 PM
Just took a look at Bowdoin's 3 Goals....1st Goal was Montanaro's fault as he needed to dive and pounce on that ball...He didn't want to get his nose in there and that is surprising...The other 2 Bowdoin Goals were complete defensive breakdowns and losing focus...2nd Half looks like the Bates of the past few years...

True. Been a tough second half for Bates. Byrd has caused them problems all game.  Gotta give him credit.  Bates has not beaten Bowdoin this century...

Mr.Right

Williams with a pretty convincing Win at Hamilton to move to 8-3-2 as they visit Tufts on Saturday in what could be their biggest game of the year. Hamilton was just awful in the final 3rd as they were having trouble all game connecting once they crossed midfield. Oberg at CB for Williams with Scatt MacDonald are a real solid duo at CB as they are both smart and tough. Hamilton had nothing dangerous 2nd Half except for one chance that hit the post but because Williams cannot really score goals either they were able to hang around but did not do much...Way to many giveaway's all day by Hamilton..I will say their Frosh GK is fun to watch as he could be a good one for Perry Nizzi. I am thinking Hamilton could be finished if they do not get points at Colby this weekend although the way Bates looked today who knows...

Mr.Right

Quote from: Bobcat1 on October 17, 2018, 04:48:01 PM

True. Been a tough second half for Bates. Byrd has caused them problems all game.  Gotta give him credit.  Bates has not beaten Bowdoin this century...

I thought Peabo Knoth beat them 1 year?

Bobcat1

Bowdoin and Williams move past Amherst in the table. Sets up a logjam at 3-6 in the standings with 2 games to go.  It's now clear either Bates, Hamilton, or Colby will be the odd team out. Colby controls their own destiny as they play both teams in the next 7 days...

Bobcat1

Quote from: Mr.Right on October 17, 2018, 04:54:29 PM
Quote from: Bobcat1 on October 17, 2018, 04:48:01 PM

I thought Peabo Knoth beat them 1 year?

I think there are 4 or 5 draws in there ('15 and '16 with Peabo), but no wins.  The announcer mentioned this several times today. I believe Bates last win over Bowdoin was 1999.

truenorth

Just read on the Bowdoin site that Bowdoin is 15-0-5 vs. Bates over the last 19 years.  Bates's last win was in 1999.  Hard to believe.  I vividly remember 2010 in my son's junior year at Bowdoin when Bowdoin went to Bates early in the season, outshot them by a ridiculous margin, but still failed to score in a scoreless draw.  They started that season 1-1-2 with another draw vs. Amherst in the first game of the season, and then rattled off 10 straight wins to go 11-1-2 and win the NESCAC regular season and proceed all the way to the final four.

I did get over to Pickard Field to see the first 75 minutes of the game.  First 25 minutes it appeared that Bowdoin was under instruction to possess in their own half but not bother to attack.  Bates then scored their one goal against the run of play with a nice cross across the goal mouth and finish on the far post.  Bowdoin's D failed in several ways...failing to block the cross and then failing to mark the attacker coming in on the far post.  Bates then hit the post and should frankly have scored on another defensive breakdown by Bowdoin.  Bates could have been up 2-0...

Early in the second half, the game flipped.  Bowdoin scored the equalizer on a persistent play by freshman Bae, and I wouldn't call it a grievous keeper error...it was just one of those scrappy moments.  After that the floodgates opened.  Bates seemed to lose their focus and organization, and Drake Byrd ran rampant down the left side and delivered both assists.

Credit to Bates for being competitive all season under a new coach with somewhat limited talent.  Credit also to Bowdoin who have gone 6-0-2 over their past 8 games, started three freshmen today and had two other (nonstarting) freshmen score...

This is usually the time of year when the NESCAC tightens up...despite what may have transpired during the first half of the season...

Mr.Right

The first Bowdoin goal was a scrappy moment and Montanaro was to blame because he flat out refused to get in the scrap and get his nose in there. Would he have gotten kicked? YES..... Would he have gotten injured? Doubt it but anything is possible..... Would I consider him to be soft after watching that replay 3 times? YES....I was disappointed to see that as I can promise you this Frosh GK at Hamilton who is smaller than Montanaro would have gotten to that ball and dove right into the mixer....kid from Hamilton is impressive...That goal let Bowdoin back in the game and the rest is history

quicksilver

Here is a link to video of the 3 Bowdoin goals in yesterday's 3-1 win over Bates. It's from the Bowdoin website so there is no video of the Bates' goal. .

Mr.Right

Do you not agree on the 1st Goal that Montanaro refused to dive on that ball? I really feel that ball should of been his and he did not have the sack to get his nose in there...The other 2 Goals were complete defensive breakdowns and frankly the first time this year that Bates has collapsed in a game.

NESCAC11

I'm not as down on Montanaro as you Mr. Right. I agree he could have dove on it but it looked like he thought he could get a foot on it initially and just missed it. It was misplayed but I wouldn't reconsider your whole outlook on him. Likewise, on the third goal I thought he was far back into the goal and could have possibly cut off the cross. I think some of this is the nescac mindset that we play back and conservative and don't get beat too far forward. The GK catches that contagion as well. Instead of saying "hey we are aggressively attacking and everyone needs to be ready and aggressive and the GK better be ready to come forward and break up a cross" all of them are sitting back afraid to make a mistake. Just my opinion. Interested in your thoughts.