BB: 2013 South Regionals

Started by D-BAT, April 14, 2013, 04:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTBB1971

Narch,
I do see your point.  Being a coach myself, I tend to lean towards match ups more.  The only sample we got from Inman vs Hutington was not good, so to me since they already saw him and beat him up good, I would tend to go with someone who they have not seen...BUT I can also see your point because when he pitched in March he was very inconsistent and lately seem to have found a formula that works for him to get guys out.  Nevertheless, I wish the best of luck to MU.

narch

power sure looked safe at the plate to me...

LTBB1971

Inman gets out of bases loaded trouble in the bottom of 4th but has been masterful so far.  I was completely wrong and he has done very well.  Given up only 3 hits to Hutington thru 4 innings.  Keep it going MU.  At the top of the 5th, MU leads 1-0.

narch

mu stays in the winners bracket with a 4-3 win in 10 innings - inman and ayers pitched really well...inman was a horse and seemed to pitch out of tight spots all day, and ayers had two HUGE strikeouts in the 9th - thigpen gets the game winning rbi against the huntingdon closer, who had a .59 era and 39 k's in 30 innings coming into the game - great win for the boys!

forheavendial4999

No idea why they didn't have Lawler start the 10th...1st and 3rd no outs is a lot to ask of anyone, even a guy with those numbers.

narch

Quote from: forheavendial4999 on May 15, 2013, 11:34:44 PM
No idea why they didn't have Lawler start the 10th...1st and 3rd no outs is a lot to ask of anyone, even a guy with those numbers.
he looked filthy, but thigpen was a little better than him yesterday :)

LTBB1971

Tough fought out win by Methodist yesterday over Hutington.  I take my hat off to Inman...he held his ground yesterday.

Take on Bridgewater team today that was flat yesterday.  I'm surprised with that offense they only managed 5 hits off Millsaps.  I'm expecting MU to throw SO RHP Daniel Royer today.

forheavendial4999

Quote from: narch on May 16, 2013, 08:15:50 AM
Quote from: forheavendial4999 on May 15, 2013, 11:34:44 PM
he looked filthy, but thigpen was a little better than him yesterday :)

There were several odd decisions re: relief pitching yesterday. 3 that come to mind quickly -- two in the West and this one.

BatDoughnut

Quote from: LTHSdad on May 16, 2013, 08:45:09 AM

Take on Bridgewater team today that was flat yesterday.  I'm surprised with that offense they only managed 5 hits off Millsaps.  I'm expecting MU to throw SO RHP Daniel Royer today.

Bridgewater is a very dangerous team. They did not play their best last evening but that does not diminish the gem that Edwards from Millsaps threw at them.

narch

Quote from: forheavendial4999 on May 16, 2013, 10:24:42 AM
There were several odd decisions re: relief pitching yesterday. 3 that come to mind quickly -- two in the West and this one.
to be honest, fincher looked pretty good in the 7th (gave up a bunt single and groundout with a runner in scoring position to get out of the 7th), 8th (1-2-3 inning to the heart of the mu order) and 9th (1-2-3 inning)...i can see where a coach might think "this kid is looking good...let me save my bullpen ace for another day" - it's easy to second guess after the fact, but fincher is clearly hc's second best bullpen option, and he looks to be the long guy with 48 ip in 20 appearances - watching the game, i didn't question them sending him out for the 10th, but i actually wondered if they might throw a lefthander (instead of lawler) against thigpen...when i heard/saw lawler's numbers, i understood why they didn't throw a lefty

having watched that game, i don't think the decision to start the 10th with fincher was a horrible decision - he had thrown very few pitches over his 2.1 ip and was very effective - being the home team and having a stud like lawler at your disposal does make it open for discussion, though

forheavendial4999

Well in truth I probably would have brought on in the 9th. But at the absolute latest, it would have been to pitch to Kirby. If you leave Fincher in to pitch to Kirby, you should leave him in to face Thigpen too.

narch

Tough 10-7 loss for mu today...thigpen got the start and had trouble in the 3rd...had bases loaded with one out and a probable double play ball went off his leg and away from the ss and two runs scored...bc went on to score 4 more in the frame to take a 7-1 lead - the monarchs battled back and got it to 7-6 before bc stretched it to 10-6 - down 10-7 in the bottom of the ninth, molosky got caught in a rundown for out #2...instead of runners on first and second and one out and thigpen at the plate, there were two outs w runner in second - thigpen walked and younger hit a laser that was caught on the left field line...couldn't see the catch, but announcers made it sound pretty spectacular - hats off to both teams for an exciting game

historymajor

Congrats to Coach Page and the Millsaps Majors, after all those years battling Trinity in the SCAC, to make it to Appleton from the SAA is pretty special!

ILVBB

The question is will Coach Page show off his juggling skills in Appleton ;D

I can't think of a Coach that has done more for more terrific young men than Coach Page. Give em h3ll!

historymajor

I've got his juggling on video (somewhere)!

RIP historymajor, my good friend.

You get the last post on this board.