Author Topic: Scoring Questions  (Read 3803 times)

Offline Jim Dixon

• D3baseball.com Guru
  • Global Moderator
  • All-Region
  • Managing Editor, D3baseball.com
    • View Profile
Re: Scoring Questions
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2018, 12:49:24 pm »

Thanks, guys.  I'm happy to see the distinction made between a sac bunt and a sac fly.  The bunt is almost always a deliberate sacrifice for the cause; a sac fly is generally an attempted hit that happened to drive in a run.

Characterizing  a sac fly as an attempted hit is an over simplification.  I expect that a significant portion of sac flies are hit with the express intention to hit a fly ball.  I bet the number of intentional sac flies that fall for hits is similar to the number of intentions to get a hit but ends up being a sac fly.

This begs the odd question: Is the proportion of home runs with a runner on third and less than two outs greater than in other situations? 

I suspect the most likely hit if your intent is to hit a sac fly is the home run.  Just food for thought.

Offline Bombers798891

• All-American
    • View Profile
Re: Scoring Questions
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2018, 09:29:20 pm »

This begs the odd question: Is the proportion of home runs with a runner on third and less than two outs greater than in other situations? 

No.

Last year, players hit 277 HRs in 9,483 PAs where there was a runner on 3rd and less than two outs. One every 34.2 PAs

In other situations, the numbers were in 5,828 HRs in 175,812 PAs, or one every 30.2