MBB: State University of New York Athletic Conference

Started by bamm, March 12, 2005, 09:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magicman

Feb. 2  4 games all in Conference play tonight all tipping off at 7:30 PM   

Oneonta State  at  Fredonia State        7:30 PM

These Red Dragons would like to catch Geneseo and get a home playoff game, but even if they beat Geneseo in the rematch on February 10th, the Knights will still hold the tiebreaker by virtue of their win over Cortland last week. Fredonia is playing for pride at this point in the season and are 10 point underdogs coming into this game. Oneonta won the last game by 11 points. They may be in for a battle tonight. Oneonta prevails but it's a close one.  Oneonta 76 Fredonia 71.     

Cortland State  at  Potsdam State         7:30 PM

These Red Dragons should handle the Bears and will look to get their bench in action as early as possible. The oddsmakers have made Cortland a 12 point favorite, but I think they win by more than that. Coach Spanbauer will have his team focused and they won't be looking ahead to the Plattsburgh game on Saturday. Cortland 86 Potsdam 69.

New Paltz State  at  Buffalo State        7:30 PM

The New Paltz team I saw in the first half against Plattsburgh would win this game. The problem ios playing 2 halves like that. Buffalo State is not the team that started out the season and I'm not sure where that team went to. I expected more from them. Now they have nothing left to play for except pride.  They are slim 2 point favorites here and lost to the Hawks by 17 points last time they met. I think the Hawks win this one again b ut the score will be closer. New Paltz 75 Buffalo State 70     

Oswego State  at  Plattsburgh State   7:30 PM Featured Game of the Day

Plattsburgh has been on fire and their defensive play has led the way. They have won 12 games in a row by an average of 17.75 points per game and over 30 ppg in their last 5 outings. Since Jon Patron has rejoined the team they are undefeated and are in good shape to position themselves for a home playoff game and possibly even host the Final Four. They know that tyhe game agaionst Cortland Srtate on Saturday will be huge but have no illusions about the challenges that Oswego State will present this evening. Oswego has been a perennial spoiler against the Cardinals the past few years and that will be on the minds of the players as well as the coaching staff.  Oswego would like to move up in the standings and possibly get a first round home playoff game. I think the odds are against them for that to happen. I expect the Cardinals to take care of business tonight and so do the oddmakers as they have made Plattsburgh a solid 10 point favorite. Plattsburgh won the last meeting in Oswego 3 weeks ago by an 89-75 score. I think they do more of the same tonight. Plattsburgh 83 Oswego 69.   

thebear

Go Bears, beat Dragons 65-64 and then a stop at the buzzer, Sorry Magic, think Corts will be loaded for bird tomorrow aftenoon.
"Just the Facts, Ma'am, Just the Facts"
- Sgt. Joe Friday

magicman

Quote from: thebear on February 02, 2018, 10:26:54 PM
Go Bears, beat Dragons 65-64 and then a stop at the buzzer, Sorry Magic, think Corts will be loaded for bird tomorrow aftenoon.

Quite happy with the results of the Potsdam/Cortland game. The score was given to me as I was exiting the Plattsburgh/Oswego game and it was the perfect ending to a good day. It takes a little away from the drama of Saturday's game against the Red Dragons but a 2 and a half game lead is well worth it.   

magicman

Friday Night Final Scores:

Plattsburgh State 74   Oswego State 60

Potsdam State 65   Cortland State 64

Buffalo State 81  New Paltz State 77

Fredonia State 85  Oneonta State 68

magicman

Feb. 3   All 10 teams in action today with 5 games on the slate.   

Oswego State  at  Potsdam State        3:00 PM

The Lakers won't want to head home with an 0-2 record to show for the weekend. They gave Plattsburgh a pretty good game last night despite not having their leading scorer for most of the game. Potsdam with the biggest upset of the SUNYAC season last night nipping Cortland 65-64 would like to keep the good vibes happening. Oddsmakers have Oswego favored by 6 points. I think the Lakers win a close one.  Oswego 71 Potsdam 67 

Brockport State  at  Geneseo State        3:00 PM

Brockport needs this game to stay with Cortland in hopes of a first round bye. That most likely will be determined on the last day of the season when those two teams square off. Geneseo is hoping for a home playoff game in the first round and currently is in position to host one. Port is favored by a slim 1 point. I think they win this one 80-76 

Oneonta State  at  Buffalo State        3:00 PM

Red Dragons struggled last night against Fredonia but recover to win this one 85-80

New Paltz State  at  Fredonia State        3:00 PM

Tough one to call as both teams playing for pride. Hawks are favored by 3 points but I'm taking the Blue Devils at home. Fredonia 71 New Paltz 67

Cortland State  at  Plattsburgh State        3:00 PM  The featured Game of the Week

Cardinals won by 2 points down in Cortland and I expect another close game today. Plattsburgh is favored by 4 points and they can all but lock up the top seed in the YAC with a win today. I'm hopeful that will happen. Plattsburgh 84 Cortland 79. 

magicman

Saturday's Final Scores.

Plattsburgh State  90  Cortland State  67

Oswego State 68   Potsdam State 62

Geneseo State  105 Brockport State 78

Buffalo State 72  Oneonta State 70

New Paltz State 70  Fredonia State 66    

magicman

Nothing yet listed on the SUNYAC website but I believe Plattsburgh State has clinched the top seed in the SUNYAC Tournament, which means they will host the Final Four.

At 14-1 and with only 3 conference games remaining, if Plattsburgh were to somehow lose all 3 games they would end up with a 14-4 record. Nobody can better that and only Brockport or Cortland can end up with a 14-4 record. Since the Red Dragons and Golden Eagles play each other on February 17th one of them will end up with at least 5 losses. Plattsburgh owns the head to head tiebreaker over Cortland having won both meetings, and also owns the tiebreaker over Brockport. Since the teams split their regular season meetings the results versus either Cortland or Geneseo would determine the tiebreaker between Plattsburgh and Brockport. Since the Cardinals are 4-0 against Cortland and Geneseo and Brockport has already lost a game to each of those teams Plattsburgh wins the the tiebreaker.

So the regular season crown is Plattsburgh's by virtue of their big win today over Cortland and Brockport's loss to Geneseo.

Plattsburgh has now won 14 games in a row and that's the 3rd longest current winning streak in Division III. Only undefeated #1 Whitman and #3 Wittenberg have longer current winning streaks than the Cardinals.       

magicman

Plattsburgh's Jon Patron continues to dominate the SUNYAC conference as he put together 3 performances this week that got better as the week went on.

On Tuesday night against SUNY-Canton, an 88-58 Plattsburgh win, he scored 20 points had 17 rebounds and 3 assists in 25 minutes of court time. He was 8x19 from the field and 4x4 from the line.

On Friday night against Oswego State, a 74-60 Plattsburgh victory, he scored 27 points, had 10 rebounds, was 10x14 from the field, 2x2 from long range and 5x5 from the line in 25 minutes of playing time.

On Saturday afternoon in a 90-67 win over Cortland State, Jon had his 3rd double-double of the week with 30 points and 11 rebounds in 30 minutes of court time. He was 9x21 from the field and 12x12 from the line.

For the week he averaged 25 points per game and 12 rebounds per game.He was 27x54 from the field and 21x21 from the line.

In 13 games this year he has had 9 double-doubles and just missed by a few rebounds in the other 4 games.

He may not get his 4th Player of the Week award since January but it will only be because the SUNYAC office wants to spread it around.     

magicman

Jon Patron's numbers were too much to be ignored and once again for the 4th time in 5 weeks he is the SUNYAC Player of the Week.  Hoping he makes the D3hoops Team of the Week as well. Here's the writeup from the SUNYAC website:

"Plattsburgh's Patron earns SUNYAC Men's Basketball Athlete of the Week
Feb 05, 2018

CORTLAND, N.Y.- The State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) has selected the winner for Athlete of the Week in men's basketball. The winner was selected out of top nominations from across the conference.

Plattsburgh's Jonathan Patron has been named Athlete of the Week for men's basketball. The junior's three double-doubles this week led Plattsburgh to three victories and another SUNYAC sweep averaging 25.7 points and 12.7 rebounds. In a matchup with Cortland, Patron's 31 minutes on the court led to him scoring 33 points and grabbing 11 rebounds, leading the Cardinals to a convincing 90-67 win over the Red Dragons. Patron also enjoyed a 27 point, 10 rebound performance in a winning effort against Oswego the night prior."

One small error as Jon "only" had 30 points against Cortland on Saturday instead of the 33 in the article.

magicman

Just checked the front page of D3hoops and spotted the newly released D3hoops Team of the Week for games from Jan. 29th thru Feb. 4th.  As I hoped, Jon Patron was named to the team marking the 2nd time this season a SUNYAC player received the weekly award...Justin Cooper made the team in week #3 back in December for games from Dec. 4th thru Dec. 10th

Congratulations to Jon for this latest honor. Perhaps he can win the Triple Crown this week and make the ECAC Player of the Week for the North Region.

Here's the link to the D3hoops story:   http://www.d3hoops.com/awards/tow/2017-18/week9

magicman

The new D3hoops Top 25 poll has been released and the Plattsburgh State Cardinals have jumped from 37th place last week with 8 votes to 27th place this week with 37 votes. If they can win their final 3 conference games they might crack the Top 25 by the end of the regular season.

Hobart College did move into the Top 25 as they went from 34th place and 10 votes to 25th place with 57 votes this time around.

No other team in the East Region has any votes.     

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

magicman

Plattsburgh State ranked #2 in the East Region behind Hobart. Rochester is 3rd. Cortland and Brockport are 4th and 5th. 

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The first regional rankings are out which in itself brings on a lot of conversation, but the jockeying and positioning contines in conferences around the country for teams trying to keep their seasons going into March.

On Thursday's edition of Hoopsville, Dave talks to a number of high-ranking squads about the pressure to stay atop their respective conference races while also positioning themselves well in the regional rankings.

Dave also welcomes a coach who has played in DIII, coached in both DII and DIII, and coached both men and women. He talks about the road, possibly, less traveled in the "WBCA Center Court" segment.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch the show LIVE starting at 7:00 p.m. ET here: http://bit.ly/2EROVeC

If you have questions, be sure to interact with the show on social media (see below) or email us your questions (hoopsville@d3hoops.com).

Guests include (in order of appearance):
- Ryan Gould, No. 7 Trine women's coach
- Michelle Ferenz, No. 5 Whitman women's coach
- Charlie Just, Spalding women's coach (WBCA Center Court)
- Landry Kosmalski, No. 11 Swarthmore men's coach
- Tom Curle, Plattsburgh State men's coach

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts instead, you can get access to them or subscribe one of the three following ways (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.