MBB: State University of New York Athletic Conference

Started by bamm, March 12, 2005, 09:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magicman

magicman

Final score.

Hamilton 74 Geneseo State 70

Geneseo had a 70-61 lead in this one with 4 minutes to go and couldn't hang on as they went scoreless for the rest of the game. They should have gotten a win here but they missed their last 5 shots had 3 turnovers and committed 3 fouls to allow Hamilton to escape with the W.

Geneseo outshot the Continentals in every category, outrebounded them 52-36 including 13 on the offensive end to only 8 for Hamilton. They had more assists and less fouls but had 24 turnovers to only 11 for Hamilton. The Continentals got 28 points off those turnovers to just 8 points for the Knights off the Hamilton giveaways. That was the most telling stat of the game and the one that proved to be a game changer especially the 3 TO's at the end of the game. They resulted in 4 Hamilton points and turned it into a 2 possession game with just a few seconds left to play.

The Knights got 31 points from Quinn Carey who made 5 three pointers and was 10x19 from the field. He also added 7 rebounds.

Kevin Crockett had 12 points and 7 rebounds as well.

Tommy Eastman added 8 points and 8 rebounds while  Alex Merhige had a game high 11 rebounds.

Kena Gilmour, Hamilton's stud,  had 20 points, 8 rebounds and 6 steals. Tim Doyle had 16 points, 4 assists, 3 rebounds and 3 steals.

The Knights fall to 8-7 overall (5-3 YAC) and will be back in action this weekend when they take on my Cardinals in Plattsburgh on Friday at 7:30 PM.

Hamilton, coached by former Laker coach Adam Stockwell is having a nice season and is in contention in the always tough NESCAC Conference. It's taken Coach Stockwell a little time to make any headway in that conference but he was hurt when his top prospect, Matt Hart, left after 2 years, to play for Division I George Washington University. His more recent recruits of the last 2 years have given him a leg up in the standings. The Continentals are currently 15-0 and 3-0 in the conference and are ranked higher in the D3hoops Top 25 poll than they have ever been with their #14 ranking on Monday night. As I stated in my earlier prediction of this game, I think they are a bit overrated and have achieved their lofty status as a result of a semi-soft schedule. 9 of their wins have come against teams that don't have a winning record and 2 other wins have come against teams from one of the weakest conferences in Division III. Still they have beaten everyone they've played and you can't take that away from them. I just don't think they will make a very deep run in the NCAA tournament and are perhaps a year away from a chance to do that. Coach Stockwell is a class act and I always root for his teams and hope they do well. Hope he proves me wrong and they make a lengthy appearance in the NCAA tournament, unless he has to face a team from the YAC early on. :D       

magicman

Final score.

Oswego State 73  New Paltz State 57

The Lakers jumped out to a quick lead and never looked back as the Hawks struggled early to put points on the board. Oswego was up 10-0 after 5 minutes and 18-2 after 8 minutes had gone by. The Lakers cruised to a 41-20 halftime lead.

The lead quickly grew to 25 points and Oswego was never threatened the entire 2nd half. New Paltz did cut the margin to 14 points late in the period but the Lakers had this one well in hand.

The Lakers were led by Liam Sanborn who captured scoring honors with 18 points, 5 rebounds and 3 assists.

Tyler Pierre had a double-double of 15 points and 14 rebounds.  Josh Ivey also had a double-double of 13 points and 13 rebounds.

Ian Schupp added 10 points.

The Hawks got 13 points from Dylan Balducci and 10 points and 6 boards from Paddy Parr. Nick Paquette had team rebounding honors with 9 boards. Brandon Guest had 9 points and 6 rebounds.

Oswego improves to  8-8 overall and 5-4 in the conference. The win moves them into 5th place in the standings and they will be back in action on Saturday as they host travel partner Cortland at 3:00 PM.

New Paltz is now 4-11 overall and 1-7 in the YAC. They host Buffalo State Friday at 7:30 PM

magicman

Plattsburgh State 80 Cortland State 78

Late recap of Friday night's game that was my SUNYAC Game of the Week and one that lived up to its promise.

I had the Cardinals winning this one by an 86-83 final score so I wasn't that far off from the actual final and the MOV was only a point away.

The two teams had 4 ties and several lead changes through the first 6 minutes of action until, tied at 14, the Cardinals' Chris Middleton nailed a three pointer to begin a 15-5 run that put Plattsburgh in front 29-19 with 8:16 left in the half. Eli Bryant hit another triple a minute later to extend the lead to 6 points and after Cortland's James Morales narrowed the gap the Cards' Eric Mack sandwiched a Jon Patron layup with a pair of baskets to extend the lead to double digits at 27-17. Cortland would come back though and kept scoring inside. The Cardinals did a good job of defending the 3 point arc but that left them vulnerable to penetration as Cortland managed to score 10 of their next 14 points on layups and pull within a single possession at 37-34 after Justin Cooper made just the 2nd 3 pointer of the half for the Red Dragons with 2:52 remaining in the period. Plattsburgh came up empty on their next 2 possessions and with 1:29 left Cooper hit another threeball to tie the game at 37 and that's the way it remained as the teams headed to the locker rooms for the break.

The 2nd half was a repeat of the opening period only with more lead changes and ties. It was a barnburner that you just knew would come down to the final few possessions, and it didn't disappoint. The teams traded baskets and leads with Cortland gaining their largest lead on a pair of Justin Cooper free throws at 49-46 with 15:24 to play. Still down by 3 at 51-48, Plattsburgh strung together another 10-2 burst fueled by 5 points from Eli Bryant to go in front 58-53 with 12 minutes left. The Cardinals would maintain their advantage and increased it to a 7 point lead, the largest of the half at 64-57, when Ian Howard sank two free throws with 8:27 remaining. Then it was the Red Dragons' turn to go on a 11-2 run led by back to back buckets from Zach Lydon, a 3 pointer from Morales and 4 points from Cooper to regain the upper hand at 68-66 with 5:56 left to play.    The teams were tied at 70 when Patron hit a big 3 pointer for the Cardinals and Cooper responded with another layup onside for Cortland. Plattsburgh came up empty and Morales was fouled on the other end, as he made both free throws to put the Red Dragons back in front 74-73, with 2:34 on the clock. Once more the Cards went to the well and Patron was there to score inside and put them back in front. Morales missed from downtown but Cooper collared the rebound and was fouled, making both free throws to put the home team back on top. But not for long as a picture perfect alley oop play from Eli Bryant to Eric Mack just 12 seconds later resulted in a throwdown by Mack and a Cardinal lead of 77-76 with 1:33 to play. The Cards called timeout and on Cortlands' next possession James Morales got a friendly bounce as his jumper went in and out, then straight up and dropped through for a 2 pointer to make it 78-77, with 1:14 to go. That set the stage for the dramatics of Eli Bryant, who for the umpteenth time, calmly dribbled the shot clock down about 4 feet behind the 3 point line and then with the clock winding down nailed the 3 pointer that put Plattsburgh on top 80-78. It was nothing but net. Cortland called a time out and elected to go inside to Zach Lydon for the game tying basket hoping for the hoop and harm. Instead Ian Howard got a clean block and Eric Mack got the loose ball. Cortland elected not to foul Bryant who dribbled the clock all the way down once again and just missed another three. The logic was he would probably make both free throws and make it a 2 possession game so they elected to take their chances on a shot with just a few seconds remaining after a hoped for Plattsburgh miss. They got the Plattsburgh miss but the last shot attempt ended up being a heave from over half court and did manage to hit the rim. I think I would have fouled early in the possession and taken my chances there. Bryant may have missed 1 of the 2 free throws and then the game could have been tied with a 3 pointer from Cortland. They are, after all, the best three point shooting team in the YAC. At the very least, pressure Bryant and hope for a late turnover but I wouldn't have let him just dribble the clock down uncontested.

Plattsburgh had 5 players record double figures in the game led by the reigning SUNYAC Player of the Week Jon Patron. He scored 20 points and grabbed 10 rebounds to post his 2nd double-double in 3 conference games.

Eli Bryant came off the bench to score 19 points, with 8 rebounds, 2 assists and a steal. Since Eli assumed his role of coming off the bench he has scored 18 or more points in 7 of 9 games and is now averaging 19.0 ppg.

Nick DeAngelis had14 points and hit 4 of 7 from long distance. He added 3 rebounds and 3 assists.

Chris Middleton had 11 points, 4 rebounds and 4 assists.

Eric Mack had 10 points, 5 rebounds, 2 blocks, and 2 assists.

Cortland's Justin Cooper  led all scorers with 26 points. 7 rebounds, 2 assists and a steal.

James Morales had 25 points, 3 rebounds, 2 steals and 1 assist. Zach Lydon added 11 points.

These two teams will have  a rematch in Plattsburgh on Saturday February 3rd at 3:00 PM. It could very well be with hosting rights for the SUNYAC Tournament on the line....although I'm sure Brockport will have a thing or two to say about that.

magicman

My guess for the SUNYAC Player of the Week for the 2nd straight week was Jon Patron for his back to back double-doubles against Cortland and Oswego as the Cardinals went 2-0 over the weekend to extend their winning streak to 6 games. Plattsburgh has not lost since Patron has returned to the lineup. They are now tied with Brockport and Cortland for the top spot in the Conference at 7-1.

Here's the writeup from the SUNYAC website:

Jonathan Patron, MBB, AOW, Plattsburgh
Jan 15, 2018
Plattsburgh's Jonathan Patron has been selected as Athlete of the Week for the second week in a row.  The junior from Huntington led the Cardinals to conference wins over Cortland and Oswego and helped them move into a three-way tie (7-1) for the SUNYAC lead. In an 80-78 shootout win over the Red Dragons, Patron had a double-double (20 pts, 10 reb).  Against the Lakers, Patron registered 27 points and 12 rebounds for another double-double in an 89-75 victory.  The Cardinals are now riding a six-game win streak and will continue to fight for first place in conference standing.

If there could be a Co-Player of the Week, that award would surely go to Eli Bryant from Plattsburgh State. The senior guard came off the bench in both games this weekend to score 19 points against Cortland and 18 points against Oswego. He was 14x27 from the field and 5x12 from downtown. His threeball as time was winding down with less than a minute to go against Cortland proved to be the gamewinner and the next day against Oswego his 2 three pointers a minute apart fueled a Cardinal run that opened up a double digit lead against the Lakers from which they never recovered. He averages less minutes per game than any player among the top 8 scorers in the conference with only 26.9 mpg, yet is in 3rd place in the YAC with 19.0 points per game.

magicman

Jan. 19  Four games on the agenda today all conference games and all tipping off at 7:30 PM   

Fredonia State  at     Oneonta State        7:30 PM

Fredonia is 0-9 in the YAC and is losing conference road games by an average of 22 ppg. Yet  they only lost to Brockport in their last road game by 2 points. Oneonta is 3-2 at home with losses to Geneseo and Cortland. The Blue Devils haven't beaten Oneonta in over 5 years losing 8 straight and 9 of the last 10. They haven't won in Oneonta in over 6 years. The Red Dragons are favored by 15 points in this one and that sounds about right.  Oneonta 80 Fredonia 66

Buffalo State  vs New Paltz State        7:30 PM

The Bengals need to find their mojo.  I remember a few years ago they lost their mojo when a certain assistant coach left it at a roadside diner and had to retrace his steps to find it. Once he did everything got better. Losers of 3 straight and 5 of their last 6 has left them on the outside looking in, for a playoff spot, that is rapidly disappearing. They are 2 and a half games out of the 6th and final tournament berth. The good news is that 4 of their 9 remaining conference games are against teams teams below them. The bad news is that 5 of them aren't. Today they get the Hawks who have already proven they can be dangerous at home with wins over Geneseo and Western Connecticut, currently in 2nd place in the LEC conference. The Bengals are 8-2 against New Paltz in the last 10 games but both Hawk wins have come at home at the Hawk Center, where tonight's game is being played. The oddsmakers have made Buff State a 1 point underdog in this one, marking the first time all year that New Paltz has been listed as the favorite. I think the oddsmakers are wrong and that the Bengals will come away with a close win here by a final score of 77-72. 

Brockport State  at  Potsdam State        7:30 PM

The Golden Eagles are hoping to leave the North Country with their share of first place a bit bigger than it has been. First up is Potsdam State and the boys from Brockport had better not overlook the Bears in anticipation of their matchup tomorrow night with Plattsburgh State which could be for sole possession of first place in the conference. Port was a bit sluggish against Fredonia last weekend and was lucky to escape with a win. The Bears won't be so giving if they happen upon a late lead as this team has turned the corner with steady improvement. Having said that, Brockport has won 5 straight games and is listed as a 10 point favorite in this one.  Potsdam has lost 13 games in a row to Brockport, with their last win coming on January 7th, 2011. They have lost those 13 games by an average of 24 ppg, but only lost to the Golden Eagles down there by 14 points back on January 7th. The Bears are better than they have been in the past 8 or 9 years so if you let them hang around they just may take advantage and grab the W.  Port still should have the horses to win this one. Brockport 86 Potsdam 75.

Geneseo State  at  Plattsburgh State        7:30 PM  The Featured Game of the Day

The Knights gave the Cardinals all they could handle in Geneseo earlier in the season. The final score of 92-83 is misleading as this was a 1 possession game at 79-77 with 2:40 left to play. The Knights missed on their end and sent the Cardinals to the line to put them up by 4 points. A steal by Plattsburgh resulted in a hoop and harm making the score 84-77 and effectively slammed the door on the Knights' chances. Ironically the oddsmakers have made that 7 point difference, the spread, favoring the Cardinals, in today's game.

Geneseo is coming off an impressive "almost" against unbeaten and #14th ranked Hamilton College (15-0) as they had a 70-61 lead with 3:54 left to play and never scored again to fall 74-70. The Knights have won 3 straight conference games to move into sole possession of 4th place in the YAC, but 2 of those wins have come against winless Fredonia. The road to the playoffs gets much tougher for the Knights, starting today in Plattsburgh. The teams split last year as they each won in the other team's house but Plattsburgh has went 8-4 in the last 12 meetings. When the Cardinals won the earlier game this year they were without leading scorer and rebounder Jon Patron. He is a difference maker as evidenced by his back to back SUNYAC Player of the Week awards since his return. He will be front and center again today. Coupled with sharpshootng guard, Eli Bryant, this tandem is as formidable as any twosome in the conference.  Plattsburgh wins this one 88-76       

amh63

Magicman......hope you are well.
Will peek in on the Cardinal game going on right now.  Geneseo State is most interesting in that they gave Hamilton a tough game....and Hamilton comes to LeFrak gym at Amherst this weekend.  The Amherst women will be on its way  to Clinton shortly if not now.
Good luck to your Cardinals.  Believe Amherst will provide Hamilton both a tough game and a Lost :)

magicman

Final scores from Friday night:

Plattsburgh State 79   Geneseo State 73

New Paltz State 70  Buffalo State  53

Brockport State  68  Potsdam State  53

Oneonta State 76  Fredonia State 65

magicman

Saturday final scores:

Plattsburgh State 93  Brockport State 80

Cortland State 68  Oswego State 59

Oneonta State 81  Buffalo State 67

New Paltz State 72  Fredonia State 62

Geneseo State 76  Potsdam State 74

amh63

Forgot to add the blowout score of the Amherst win over Hamilton, Magicman :)
Still my once in a lifetime bold prediction can not touch your unique ability!

magicman

Quote from: amh63 on January 21, 2018, 10:32:21 AM
Forgot to add the blowout score of the Amherst win over Hamilton, Magicman :)
Still my once in a lifetime bold prediction can not touch your unique ability!

amh63,

I made note of your prediction and saw that you were correct. It was a blowout by your alma mater. You should make more predictions, who knows you may have the talent. 8-)

magicman

Wrap up of Friday night's Plattsburgh-Geneseo game.

Plattsburgh State 79  Geneseo State 73

The Knights got off to an early lead but 9 straight points by the Cardinals' Jon Patron quickly put Plattsburgh in front 13-11. From there it was a tight game with 3 ties and several lead changes as neither team could open any daylight. Finally the Cardinals up by 1 at 28-27 got some breathing room when Brandon Johnson hit a jumper and Eric Mack scored inside to make it 32-27 and that's what was on the scoreboard when the team's headed into the break.

Plattsburgh slowly built a 10 point lead early in the 2nd half with 6 of those points coming at the hands of Eli Bryant.  Later in the period they stretched the lead to a game high 13 points on several occasions. The last time was at 58-45 with 9 minutes to go when Eric Mack drained a shot from downtown. The Knights tried to maintain contact and they managed to fight back and get within 6 points of the lead when Zack Panebianco swished a 3 pointer with 3:49 remaining. Eli Bryant answered with a threeball for Plattsburgh  and the Cardinals made 6 of 9 from the line to preserve the win.

Jon Patron had another double-double of 20 points and 11 rebounds to lead the Cardinals. He added 4 steals and was limited by early foul trouble in both halves.

Eli Bryant had 18 points, 2 assists and 2 steals off the bench.

Eric Mack had 17 points, 7 rebounds, and 4 blocks in 18 minutes off the bench.

Chris Middleton added 9 points, 7 rebounds, and 2 assists.

Ian Howard added 8 rebounds and 5 points.

The Cardinals were outshot by the Knights by a slight edge but Plattsburgh won the rebounding battle by a 45-29 margin. Geneseo committed 18 turnovers to 16 for Plattsburgh.

Zach Panebianco had a big effort for the Knights as he was the leading scorer in the game with 27 points. He managed to get inside and score with a variety of nice moves and also had 3 baskets from long distance.

Tommy Eastman had a double-double of 22 points and 12 rebounds as he was 10x15 from the field.

Quinn Carey had 13 points and 3 rebounds.

magicman

Wrap up of Saturday's big game.

Plattsburgh 93  Brockport 80

I had typed up a post with my predictions but got called away by my auto repairman to pick up one of my vehicles and wasn't able to come back home and submit the post. The game was fast approaching and I didn't want to be late. I expected a tight game and picked the Cardinals to win it 88-84. These teams had met 24 times in the past 12 years and each team has won 12 games but Brockport had the edge having won the last 3 times they met including an earlier meeting this season. Both teams were trying to keep nice winning streaks alive coming into the game as well...Plattsburgh with 7 wins in a row and Port with 6.

The game started off with numerous ties and lead changes as the teams traded baskets for the first 8 minutes. Tied at 17 each, the Cardinals opened up a 12 point advantage on the strength of a 16-4 run fueled by a flurry of 3 pointers from Brandon Johnson and Eli Bryant. Johnson had 8 points and Bryant 5 in that stretch. Brockport got a pair of free throws to narrow the lead to 10 points but the Cardinals still led 33-23 and went on another scoring rampage, this time a 17-2 run to make the score 50-25. 7 straight points came from Isaiah Hill, on a jumper, an old fashioned 3 point play and a layup. Plattsburgh doubled up the Golden Eagles and went into the break up 54-27. I may be wrong but I think this was the largest lead either team has had in the past dozen years.

Brockport needed to play with a sense of urgency to start the 2nd period and close the gap to a respectable margin to get back into the game. They proceeded to do exactly that with a 13-3 run led by Justin Summers and trailed by a 57-40 margin with only 4:11 gone by in the half. However, Plattsburgh went back on top by 25 points when they had another 11-3 burst, fueled by Eli Bryant's 5 points and the Golden Eagles couldn't cut into the big lead over the next 10 minutes of play. The lead actually got bigger as Plattsburgh opened up an 86-56 advantage with 5:07 remaining in the game.  Both coaches got the reserves into the game at that point and the Brockport bench was able to narrow the gap considerably making the score a more respectable 93-80 final.

This was one of the strongest outings of the season for the Cardinals (along with the Cortland game last weekend) as 11 different players made solid contributions in the game. Five players hit double figures to power the offense and on the defensive side of the ball Plattsburgh was able to keep the Brockport trio of Hamed Shamseldin, Justin Summers and Tyler Collins 12 points under their season average.

Plattsburgh outshot Brockport in all 3 areas and won the rebounding battle 53-39. They had 21 assists to only 9 for the visitors and the turnovers were in Port's favor 13-15 but a bunch of those by Plattsburgh came near the end of the game when the reserves were doing their best to get on the scoreboard and got a little loose with the rock. The Cardinals had nine 3 pointers to only 3 for the Golden Eagles.

The officiating in this game was terrible. 3 zebras who thought they had to blow their whistles constantly. They messed up travel violations badly, were as inconsistent as possible with their foul calls and for long stretches called fouls every trip down the court. Both coaches were clearly exasperated at the officiating, especially when they called fouls on players that weren't even involved in the play (which they did on several occasions),called a flagrant foul that wasn't, and at times should have made calls and didn't. They called a total of 54 fouls in the game and at one point a member of one of the coaching staffs asked one of the officials if it was midnight yet because the game was taking so long with all the whistles. It was the 2nd year in a row that the Brockport visit to Memorial Hall was marred by an inferior crew of zebras.

Brandon Johnson came off the bench to lead Plattsburgh with 16 points, 7 assists, 4 rebounds and 3 steals. He also had a nice block that didn't make it in the box score.

Jon Patron just missed a double-double with 14 points and a game high, 9 rebounds. He added 2 assists and a pair of steals.

Nick DeAngelis also had 14 points hitting 4 of 7 shots from downtown.

Isaiah Hill only saw 10 minutes of action off the bench but they were productive as he had 11 points, 7 rebounds, an assists and a block.

Eli Bryant added 10 points, 5 rebounds, an assist and a steal.

Chris Middleton had 8 points, 6 rebounds, and 4 assists.

Ian Howard had 8 rebounds and 4 points in 20 minutes of court time.

Freshman Travis Cox managed to score 6 points in only 3 minutes of court time.

Brockport was led by Justin Summers who captured scoring honor with 20 points. He added 7 rebounds, 3 blocks and 1 assist.

Hamed Shamseldin had 16 points, 4 rebounds and 3 assists.

Michael O'Hara came off the bench to score 11 points, grab 6 rebounds and register 3 blocks.

Plattsburgh hikes their record to 11-4 overall and 9-1 in the SUNYAC and in sole possession of first place since they own the tiebreaker over Cortland. It was the 8th straight win for the Cardinals and they will be back in action on Tuesday when they head over to take on travel partner Potsdam State at 7:30 PM in Maxcy Hall.

Brockport falls to 13-4 overall and 8-2 in the YAC, good for sole possession of 3rd place. They had their 6 game winning streak snapped and will look to get back into the win column on Friday night when they host Cortland State in another big game that could have major implications on the conference race.     

magicman

A bunch of contenders for YAC Player of the Week to be selected later today. Here are the players in the mix as I see it.

Kevin Mackin Oneonta State

Justin Summers Brockport State

Tommy Eastman Geneseo State

Jon Patron Plattsburgh State