East Region Fan Poll

Started by gobombers15, December 19, 2008, 01:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caz Bombers

I think I ranked RIT - I figured 4-0 in the E8 had to count for something.  Now 5-0 with a bushwhacking of Fisher certainly does.

magicman

Univ. of Rochester's stock rises with a 73-69 road win at Brandeis to improve to 8-2.

NYU falls from the unbeaten ranks losing at home to Carnegie Mellon 78-57. Up 62-54 with 4:17 to go,  the Tartans close out the Violets with a 16-3 finish.

magicman

In SUNYAC action tonight:

Fredonia 66, Plattsburgh 59
Geneseo 84, Cortland 61
Buffalo St. 83, Potsdam 63
New Paltz 100, Morrisville 53

gobombers15

Guys, don't forget to send your polls to me this evening.
A 2004 graduate of the "almighty legendary" Ithaca College. Goooooo Bombers.

gobombers15

It will be interesting to see what the ballots look like this week. How far does NYU fall after two double-digit losses at home to Rochester and Carnegie-Mellon, lending credence to many's skepticism? Where does RIT appear on the poll after upsetting Ithaca and hammering Fisher? Do the Bombers keep their strangle hold on the #1 spot? Does UR close the gap or pass the Bombers after going 3-0 this week with victories over Clarkson, Brandeis and NYU, but despite losing the head-to-head matchup to the Bombers?

Cyclone0205

Sorry guys, I was out of town last night.  Sending my poll in right now.

gobombers15

East Region Fan Poll #3 (through 1/11/09)

#School (1st votes)RecordPtsPrev.This Week
1Ithaca ( 9 )
12-1
vs Potsdam, at Hartwick
2Rochester ( 1 )
9-2
vs Keuka, vs TBD, vs TBD
3RIT
8-3
NR
vs Nazareth, vs TBD, vs TBD
4NYU
9-2
vs Wesleyan, at Brandeis
5Clarkson
9-2
at Union, at Skidmore
6St. John Fisher
9-2
vs Roberts Wesleyan, vs TBD, vs TBD
7St. Lawrence
7-3
at Skidmore, at Union
8Oneonta State
9-4
at Plattsburgh, at Potsdam

Others Receiving votes:      

Fredonia State (10)
Geneseo State (1)

Dropping out: #8 Geneseo State

Voting Breakdown:

Ithaca (1, 3, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1)

Rochester (2, 1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 4, 2, 2, 2)

RIT (3, 2, 3, 3, 4, 3, 2, 3, 4, 3)

NYU (6, 4, 8, 7, -, 4, 3, 4, 3, 4)

Clarkson (5, 8, 5, 4, 5, 7, 5, 6, 7, 6)

St. John Fisher (7, 6, 4, 5, -, 5, 6, 7, 5, 5)

St. Lawrence (4, 7, 6, -, 3, 6, -, 5, 8, -)

Oneonta (-, 5, -, 6, 6, 8, 8, -, 6, 7)

Fredonia (8, -, 7, 8, 7, -, 7, 8, -, 8 )

Geneseo (-, -, -, -, 8, -, -, -, -, -)

Key Regional Games This Week:

J.P. Morgan Chase Scholarship Tournament (1/14-1/17)
Potsdam State @ #1 Ithaca (1/13)
#4 NYU @ Brandeis (1/17)

gobombers15

People were all over the map with St. Lawrence. They received a vote for each slot between third and eighth, while being left off of other ballots. I put them #4 because I don't think they have any bad losses and have a good record against non-ranked teams.

magicman

Quote from: gobombers15 on January 12, 2009, 06:58:49 PM
People were all over the map with St. Lawrence. They received a vote for each slot between third and eighth, while being left off of other ballots. I put them #4 because I don't think they have any bad losses and have a good record against non-ranked teams.

The same could almost be said about NYU. Clarkson and Fisher also with a wide range. I think right now other than Ithaca and Rochester(only 2 losses to ranked teams and now ranked #30 in the country) the next 6 teams are all fairly even. Clarkson, for instance  win a win over Rochester last week instead of a 4 pt. loss would be 10-1 and most likely in 2nd place. SLU with 2 of their 3 losses to ranked teams, can beat anybody on this list. 1 bad game(Fisher's loss to RIT) or 1 good game(RIT's "win" over Ithaca) results in a major move this early. With most of the out of conference games over, the one thing that does stand out is that the SUNYAC conference is bringing up the rear. SLU and Clarkson are a combined 9-1 against SUNYAC teams. E8 teams are 6-4 against the SUNYAC. Oneonta and Cortland with 2 wins each, account for the SUNY wins. 2 of the 4 E8 losses were pinned on Utica. Even Elmira with a win over Cortland and Hartwick with a defeat of Oneonta have stung the SUNYAC.  NYU 2-0 beating Oneonta and New Paltz who are currently in 1st and 2nd place in SUNYAC race. Don't see much room for any of the SUNYAC schools to move up in the rankings. Geneseo and Brockport would need to make some noise in the Chase tournament or Potsdam would need the big upset tomorrow night against the Bombers. Even then, Potsdam and Brockport with their current records, (only Geneseo at 8-3 is respectable) would have a tough time cracking the poll. Rest of SUNYAC schedule, other than 2 teams playing Utica is in conference, so all they'll do is beat up each other. There's still some hope for the Red Dragons or Geneseo but they need to put together a good run.  Fredonia's 9-2 record looks good but soft schedule early on leads me to be skeptical. Oneonta at #8 may be as good as it gets.  Definitely disappointed with Cortland, Oswego and Potsdam so far. 

with age came?

Magic I agree with you. Sunyac seems to be down this year.  I left Oneonta off this week because almost all their impressive games are losses- NYU close, Ithaca to the brink but their wins have not been all that impressive.  I got to thinking that I should not be rating someone by the virtue of their LOSSES!!  Disappointed with Potsdam. Senior talent should be carrying them more than it is.  Also disappointed in Hamilton.  They should be and are better than they are playing right now.  I just do not know what is up with them.  Use to get a little insight from HOAF but I have not seen he or she on the board this year. Funny how far a half court heave (possibly after the buzzer) can improve a teams fortune!

magicman

Quote from: with age came? on January 13, 2009, 01:50:50 AM
Magic I agree with you. Sunyac seems to be down this year.  I left Oneonta off this week because almost all their impressive games are losses- NYU close, Ithaca to the brink but their wins have not been all that impressive.  I got to thinking that I should not be rating someone by the virtue of their LOSSES!!  Disappointed with Potsdam. Senior talent should be carrying them more than it is.  Also disappointed in Hamilton.  They should be and are better than they are playing right now.  I just do not know what is up with them.  Use to get a little insight from HOAF but I have not seen he or she on the board this year. Funny how far a half court heave (possibly after the buzzer) can improve a teams fortune!

with age,

Hamilton has had some injury problems with several starters missing some games and 2 guys off the bench also missed some time. however in all 4 of their losses they just dug a hole early on that they couldn't recover from. Conn. College game they were down 32-6 after first 15 mins. In that span they were 3x12 from the field with 8 turnovers. CC shot 11x15 with 7 3's. Game against Middlebury was more of the same. Hung with the Panthers for 1st 10 mins. then only managed 6 pts in the last 9 mins of the half. Down by 13 at the break and it only got worse. Maybe got demoralized when they went to the midwest in early Dec. and got smacked by Wash U. and Ill. Wesleyan in back to back games. Still, I expect they'll have something to say about the outcome of the LL .

with age came?

I guess Hamilton's victory over Williams cements that statement.  Magic you may have hit it on the head.  Everytime I have seen Hamilton play they seem to play better in front than from behind.  Certainly a good win for them and a good win over a recognized national power for a NYS team.

FisherDynasty

I had Hamilton in my early polls fairly high relative to other LL teams.  The big losses set me back even though they were to solid teams.  They had some other not impressive small margin wins.  The injuries can say a lot and i would expect them to be in the middle of the pack of the rankings by year-end

magicman

Looks like the rankings will get another shake up this week as #'s 2,3,5,8,9,and 10 go down and the possibility of more carnage tomorrow as everybody in the top 10 except Ithaca has a game scheduled. Lots of interesting match-ups on tap. Fisher and SLU with wins tomorrow could be the big movers for the week. Hamilton could also benefit. Only sure thing is the Bombers will remain on top as they're off until the 25th against Stevens.   

gobombers15

Fellas, don't forget to send your ballots this evening when you have an opportunity. Thanks.