FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattvsmith

jknezek, great write up about UMU above. +K

pg04

Quote from: DGPugh on November 28, 2012, 03:34:12 PM
well, "how bout dim dawgs' is hard for me to roll out of my mouth...but this weekend i will say that along with 'Go Wesley"

now... being an Irish fan.................... not gonna happen, sorry
keep the faith

Oh come on, say it. How bout them dawgs?! haha --- I hope the tide roll right down a hill...

jknezek

Quote from: pg04 on November 30, 2012, 01:18:08 PM
well, "how bout dim dawgs' is hard for me to roll out of my mouth...but this weekend i will say that along with 'Go Wesley"

keep the faith

Oh come on, say it. How bout them dawgs?! haha --- I hope the tide roll right down a hill...

sadly you haven't quite mangled the english badly enough. as it is frequently spray painted around Athens and other parts of GA it is actually "how bout dem dawgs" for some god-awful reason...

on the other hand, alabama fans are quite fond of rolls of toiletpaper and name brand clothes soap in their car windows. for an outside, it sure is strange living down here in SEC country

pg04

Quote from: jknezek on November 30, 2012, 03:23:22 PM
Quote from: pg04 on November 30, 2012, 01:18:08 PM

keep the faith

sadly you haven't quite mangled the english badly enough. as it is frequently spray painted around Athens and other parts of GA it is actually "how bout dem dawgs" for some god-awful reason...

on the other hand, alabama fans are quite fond of rolls of toiletpaper and name brand clothes soap in their car windows. for an outside, it sure is strange living down here in SEC country

Since I am currently at UGA and in Athens, I know.  ;)

DGPugh

pg04

sent u an off line email about UGA
i hope they beat the bammers
keep the faith
"Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes." 
Ephesians 6:11

pg04

Quote from: DGPugh on November 30, 2012, 11:31:13 PM
pg04

sent u an off line email about UGA
i hope they beat the bammers
keep the faith

Small world. +k. I responded.

DGPugh

it is indeed a small world
Keep the faith
"Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes." 
Ephesians 6:11

jknezek

Congratulations to W&L's Luke Heinsohn on making the final 4 cut for the Gagliardi Trophy. He is in some very good company. Story on the D3Football.com site, although for some reason I can't link it here. Luke did not "win" the fan vote, as the most votes went to Scottie Williams of Elmhurst.

jknezek

Also congratulations to the ODAC's D3Football.com All-South Region Team representatives. I'd link to the D3football article but I'm having troubles doing that at this computer:

First Team:
RB Luke Heinsohn W&L

Second Team:
WR Holton Walker H-SC
T Connor Hollenbeck W&L
DT Joel Francis Bridgewater
S Jake Pelton W&L

Third Team
T Will Ferrell H-SC
DT Vinny Cortese Catholic
LB Kenny Fryman H-SC

tigerfanalso

Two questions; Which teams win this weekend ? Could an "all star" team from the ODAC compete with them ?
Happy Holidays to all !!!

jknezek

Quote from: tigerfanalso on December 07, 2012, 10:43:08 AM
Two questions; Which teams win this weekend ? Could an "all star" team from the ODAC compete with them ?
Happy Holidays to all !!!

No, a post-season ODAC all-star team could not compete. However, an ODAC all-star team with a full season under it's belt in the same system with the same coach? I'd pay to watch. I still think the ODAC would fall short, but I wouldn't be willing to bet money on it. A lot would also depend on how the team was picked and who was coaching it.

For example, it wouldn't do you any good to label Nance your QB and stick him under W&L's coaches. But if you picked a coach first, and let him choose the players from the conference, that could be real interesting.

tigerfanalso

JK

Interesting. What ODAC coach runs a system (o&d) that could best compete at this level ?
I'm thinking smash mouth football is the way to go, but I'm probably wrong once again.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: tigerfanalso on December 07, 2012, 02:07:01 PM
JK

Interesting. What ODAC coach runs a system (o&d) that could best compete at this level ?
I'm thinking smash mouth football is the way to go, but I'm probably wrong once again.
Match the system to the nature and calibre of athletes that you have.

If you have very smart, not overly athletic players who will execute exactly and precisely everytime, then you have one system, e.g., the service academies.

Flamboyant hyper athletic players who do things with flares that mere mortals cannot comprehend are another situation.  Winning at the level of the conference championship will put you in the top 10% of D-3. That is a very good place to be, and it gets your players lots of "conference championship rings".

jknezek

Quote from: tigerfanalso on December 07, 2012, 02:07:01 PM
JK

I'm not sure that's the correct question. I think W&L's system would be LEAST likely to compete, but both UMHB and UWO run option looks at times, though I think UMHB has run significantly less of it this year.

UMU, like most of the OAC, is balanced with some favor toward passing. Actually I'd say the OAC teams and the majority of our pass happy ODAC teams play similar overall styles. Players and execution, of course, can be at a different level. UMU's sophomore QB is having a heck of a year and I think he will be the difference maker if he keeps playing up to the standard he has set so far. I think UST is more of a smashmouth pro-style, but I'm not 100% sure.

Basically I don't think style of play is neccessarily the point. In my response, I just was pointing out that if you were going to make an ODAC all-star team, you wouldn't pick the absolute BEST players at each position if you were going to play real games. You'd pick a coach first and have him pick the best players in the conference to run his system.

I really don't think there is a "best" style or a winning style. You just have to be really, really good to break into the upper-echelon of D3 teams. You can play a variety of styles, although I think balanced attacks are probably the most consistent winners, but you need to play at a level that the rest of the D3 universe just doesn't approach.

So while Heinsohn is a first team All-South running back, and a Gagliardi finalist, I'm not really sure if I was putting an all-star team together for the purpose of playing games, he'd be my first choice for running back. It would depend on what style of play the offense was going to take.

Matt Barnhart (kid)

"Stone Station" rollin' down to Salem this weekend?

Nine straight years of both teams being "purple" - Mount Union, UW-Whitewater, Linfield, and now St. Thomas. Pretty cool!

Quote from: tigerfanalso on December 07, 2012, 10:43:08 AM
Could an "all star" team from the ODAC compete with them?

On paper, yes. But things like (lack of) continuity and coaches having only a couple weeks of preparation, wouldn't work out.

I'm afraid the days of a "Bridgewater" from the ODAC making noise in the playoffs are over:

• 2012: Washington & Lee lost to Hobart, 38-20 (first round)
  • 2011: Hampden-Sydney lost to Centre, 51-41 (first round)
  • 2010: Hampden-Sydney lost to Montclair State, 16-14 (first round)
  • 2010: Washington & Lee lost to Thomas More, 42-14 (first round)
  • 2009: Hampden-Sydney lost to Johns Hopkins, 23-7 (first round)
  • 2008: Randolph-Macon lost to Mount Union, 56-0 (first round)
  • 2007: Hampden-Sydney lost to Wesley, 45-27 (first round)
  • 2006: Washington & Lee lost to Wilkes, 42-0 (first round)
The ODAC's best chance of a win is someone finishing 10-0 during the regular season, and hosting a first round playoff game versus the USAC champion.
Former Publisher of BridgewaterFootball.com