MBB: Northwest Conference

Started by The Show, March 06, 2005, 08:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinecone_Curtain

Quote from: (509)Rat on February 22, 2015, 10:02:22 PM
Ah, another bhawks post that made us all dumber for having read...

I'm still having difficulty understanding and comprehending your point

If bhawks really believes what he types, I mean, if that is his actual thought process and those are his actual reasoning and critical thinking abilities...Bridgeland deserves an award for getting him through UPS' admissions process

Rat, you're the best. I think these three snippets sum up reading 70% of blackhawks' posts.

blackhawks4

Go write Coach K an email telling him how his 1000th win was crap because of all his teams in the past that didn't win national championships and despite years of national relevance his team has gone "backwards" for a year or two at a time plenty. Gonzaga has an SB nation site (slipperstillfits) that you should go post on, poo-pooing their fans too. Who cares that they completely transformed a mid-major into a legitimate top 25 program year in and year out. They aren't special, they haven't won it all and they are only good for 28 wins a year and for some reason can't keep winning more than that every year. losers.

Pinecone & Rat, you've just missed the point completely.  But I understand, you aren't going to get it.  It's not in you.  You're making my point for me. 

You're NOT a national level team!  Why??  I'm not talking about being one game better in the season, I'm talking about taking it to the next level. You're NOT a national player.  You win your league title, beat up on the Cali school, and then lose...every...year.  Don't talk to me about the PNW island, Coach K is at a 5,000 student school in North Carolina with a gym as small as WW competing on a national level against Kentucky, UCLA, Florida, etc.  He doesn't celebrate ACC titles, they're a stepping stone for him.  Mark Few has turned the Zags into a national powerhouse.  He doesn't pop the champagne and high five over his WCC titles.  Why do you??  Why can't you be better??  It's been too long.  Let's talk in your PNW lingo...Bridge turned Wazzu into a Pac 12 powerhouse, in 5 years...that's progress.  Why haven't you gotten better in 5 years?   

Pinecone_Curtain

Quote from: blackhawks4 on February 23, 2015, 12:48:01 AM
Don't talk to me about the PNW island, Coach K is at a 5,000 student school in North Carolina with a gym as small as WW competing on a national level against Kentucky, UCLA, Florida, etc. He doesn't celebrate ACC titles, they're a stepping stone for him.

Uhh...did you just compare Duke to Whitworth? Blackhawk, this is why nobody takes what you say seriously! There's also this little thing called scholarships which Coach K can offer, plus the whole "71 players have been selected in the NBA Draft" thing probably doesn't hurt.

We get it. You think Whitworth underperforms in the national tournament. Remember that WW doesn't lose many home NCAA tournament games. MHB is the only one that comes to mind (though I definitely could be missing one). Even the year we were #1 with the national POY we were on the road in the S16/E8. So, yeah, the geography does work against us. We aren't going to neutral sites for the NCAA tournament like Duke. We went to Wooster to play a really good Wooster team on their home floor.

The way you talk about WW sounds like anything less than beating Duke at Cameron is a failed season. Bridge inherited a bad team that had literally nowhere to go but up. Bridge is a good coach, so they got better. Logie inherited a team that entered the NCAA tournament as the #1 TEAM IN THE NATION. Like, there's literally nowhere to go but down. I'm not sure you get that. One team sucked, they got better. One team was very, very, very good and they are still conference champs 4 years later.

Sorry we aren't beating Kentucky yet.

Keandre

Very excited for this weekends games. Kip has done a great job this year. No got a team to the playoffs that no one thought would be in the picture. Very happy for him as he has struggled his first few years. Great guy, has learned from one of the best in the NWC ever. Hopefully he can sustain this success and build on it. I would vote him coach of the year just because of the turn around he has made. Not to take anything away from WW coach, but it would be great to see him get it.

A Buc Forever

Quote from: playball on February 22, 2015, 01:52:30 PM
Fun fact: Linfield didn't have a player average 10 ppg this year.  First time in program history.

Interesting stat.  In some cases you could look at this as a positive--spreading the scoring around, makes it harder to defend a team when it isn't just one or two guys scoring all the points.  On the other hand, get the ball into the hands of the guy that can score.  Not sure how the scoring is divided up predicts much in terms of wins or losses--different ways to skin a cat. 

A Buc Forever

An interesting stat from WW's press release:

"Whitworth has tied Linfield (1965-70) for most consecutive regular season conference titles in the league's history."

Playball--Life is long.  It will come full cycle and when you are my age you can watch LF win 6 crowns in a row. However, if they are going to match WW they have to win 6 outright titles--no ties.  Also from the press release:

"The Pirates are the only school to have made all six crowns of the undisputed variety."

blackhawks4

Quote from: Pinecone_Curtain on February 23, 2015, 01:18:22 AM
Don't talk to me about the PNW island, Coach K is at a 5,000 student school in North Carolina with a gym as small as WW competing on a national level against Kentucky, UCLA, Florida, etc. He doesn't celebrate ACC titles, they're a stepping stone for him.

Uhh...did you just compare Duke to Whitworth? Blackhawk, this is why nobody takes what you say seriously! There's also this little thing called scholarships which Coach K can offer, plus the whole "71 players have been selected in the NBA Draft" thing probably doesn't hurt.

Pinceone.  Deep breaths.  Please...read...carefully.  You'll note that it is not a comparison of Duke to Whitworth.  It's a comparison of a 5,000 student private school in a little 'ole North Carolina that competes with monster programs on a national level because they're "special"...to...a program that isn't a presence on the national level, and instead is satisfied with conference titles, and makes excuses for why they can't do it.

Quote from: Pinecone_Curtain on February 22, 2015, 09:54:17 PM
Lost a heartbreaker in the 2nd round last year, we've been to the E8, a couple S16's. For a PNW island school, I'm fine with that. We aren't a Wisconsin state school with 11k undergrads, cheaper prices and an 80+% acceptance rate (*cough* Whitewater *cough*  :)). We're all in the same boat here in the PNW. We are small schools that are expensive, academically prestigious, and it's tough to get kids from Cali up here.

"We're on an island, they're bigger, less expensive, acceptance  :'(....It's sooo haaaaard to get get Cali kids to come to Spokane :'(....its not fair... :'(.  If only Spokane we were located in Walla Walla Washington where every SoCal jock dreams of attending school (Bridge has 6).

I find it ironic that you share a city with a university doing a FEW special things, yet cry that it cant be done yourself.

Tell ya what, Piney...let's just move on.  Does Willamette have a chance on Thursday?  My answer, "No--it's a 20 pt game. Willamette is bad.  What'd they go, 10-15 this year?  But hey--lets give that guy coach of the year."  LC @ WMN.  I don't see LC winning this in Walla Walla, but it will be a more competitive game. 

Pinecone_Curtain

Quote from: blackhawks4 on February 24, 2015, 12:25:57 AM
...yet cry that it cant be done yourself.

Never said it can't. Just said it's hard. It's not the snap of the fingers that you make it sound like. However, we're up to #16 in the d3h polls! But, yes, let's move on.

Everybody has a chance since they're here. Pirates only won the regular season games by 8 (in Salem) and 7 (in Spokane), so it's not a complete mismatch. WILL is a weird team--they beat UPS, hung with WW, WM and LC, but then lost to LIN? What gives? I actually think WILL/WW will be closer than WM/LC. WW isn't built to blow people out, but methodically win. WM is built to blow teams out of the water, or if they're having an off night, lose to Pacific on the road for the 2nd straight year. But I can't imagine LC going into W2 and getting the win.

My guesses: WW by 8, WM by 15. I hope it's WM/WW for the ship. Who ya got?

Keandre

If a team was picked to finish last in the league by the coaches, and then turns around and makes the biggest jump of every team, does he not deserve to get votes for coach of the year blackhawks? Everyone was saying they were going to be the worst team, but became the 4th best team in the league, why not reward a guy for his improved team? Or, do you think Bridgeland should get it?

playball

Best team's coach and best player should not be a lock for poy and coty.  Give it to who deserves it.  Kip has done a lot with little!  Nothing against Logie but look at what Kip has turned around

Pinecone_Curtain

All-NWC is out. Blackhawk, I was pretty close! Wettig got 1st team over Clough, other than that I got it. Ovchinnikov also got 2nd team.

Love = POTY makes sense. I thought either he or Jurlina would get it. K-Love really turned it on the 2nd half of the season. Logie got COTY which I'm fine with. I personally thought Kip should have gotten it, but who am I to argue against a Pirate?

First Team: Love, Jurlina, Holden, Luedtke, Mounier & Wettig
Second Team: Appleton, Clough, Luhnow, Ovchinnikov, Martin (so basically the LC and WM teams)
HM: Barber, Farnsworth, Valle, McDonald, McNally

All in all, pretty fair. WW got rewarded with 2 1st teamers and 2 HM's, WM got 4 total as well spread across, LC got 3. IMO, the best part is that while Holden and Mounier are seniors, we still get 2 more years of Jurlina and Love  ;D

Gregory Sager

Quote from: blackhawks4 on February 24, 2015, 12:25:57 AM
Quote from: Pinecone_Curtain on February 23, 2015, 01:18:22 AM

Pinceone.  Deep breaths.  Please...read...carefully.  You'll note that it is not a comparison of Duke to Whitworth.  It's a comparison of a 5,000 student private school in a little 'ole North Carolina that competes with monster programs on a national level because they're "special"...to...a program that isn't a presence on the national level, and instead is satisfied with conference titles, and makes excuses for why they can't do it.

[snip]

I find it ironic that you share a city with a university doing a FEW special things, yet cry that it cant be done yourself.

Dude, I gotta go with the Whitworth guys on this one. You do not put your best foot forward in an argument concerning D3 men's basketball when you bring D1 comparisons into it. D3 and D1 are two vastly different creatures. As such, any analogy between Duke and ... well, any D3 school, really isn't going to work. Same deal with Gonzaga and a D3 school.

If you really want to make an argument that flies, use D3 analogies for Whitman and Whitworth. There's plenty of 'em out there (including "geographic island" analogies).
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

D O.C.

A Buc Forever....I'll build up your self esteem a little.
In that 65-70 LINFIELD NWC title run they did not win one game at the NAIA tournament in Kansas City.  :-\  At least W won games in the tourney.

blackhawks4

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 24, 2015, 07:50:17 PM
Dude, I gotta go with the Whitworth guys on this one. You do not put your best foot forward in an argument concerning D3 men's basketball when you bring D1 comparisons into it.

The argument is not D1 vs D3, it's those that strive for excellence vs. those that don't.  You're telling me a school like Gonzaga (in the same city!) can compete with the best and the biggest schools in the country yet WW can't compete on a D3 level?!  You've all lost your minds.  The problem with Whitworth is that they follow the same safe system every year, which is only good enough to win the conference, not national level, and they're...oh how did Pinceone put it, "fine with that." (I know this is going to disappoint, but I'm all talked out on this one)

Quote from: Keandre on February 24, 2015, 12:45:17 PM
If a team was picked to finish last in the league by the coaches, and then turns around and makes the biggest jump of every team, does he not deserve to get votes for coach of the year blackhawks? Everyone was saying they were going to be the worst team, but became the 4th best team in the league, why not reward a guy for his improved team?

He should have been picked to finish last.  His team won 1 game last year.  But he's been at Willamette for 6 years.  He didn't inherit this team.  He recruited this team.  He made this current hoops program.  He's made his own bed.  Now he wins 8 games and finishes 4th and he's coach of the year? Come'on.

blackhawks4

Quote from: Pinecone_Curtain on February 24, 2015, 04:19:14 PM
All-NWC is out. Blackhawk, I was pretty close! ;D

I'm okay with the NWC team.  Weird year--no true standout players.  I wouldn't even know who else to give NWC POTY to other than Love.  I'm comfortable with Logie as COTY.  Yes the conference was down, but he still guided a not-so-good WW team to a 15-1 season.  There is something to be said for the consistency and preparation with which WW takes the court.  They always seem to show up and handle business...It's really hard to not give backhanded compliments when talking about WW.