Game of the Year

Started by Go2Goal, August 17, 2017, 12:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Go2Goal

Late addition to the schedule is Messiah traveling to Rowan on Friday, October 15th.
Possible game of the year.

franklyspeaking

Both should be top National teams this year.

rudy

Is this true? Seems unlikely to schedule a game on a date that would mean 3 games in 4 days. With 3rd game being important conference game. Sat, sun, Tues games? It looks like for Rowan it would be 3 in 3 days even worse

Flying Weasel

Quote from: Go2Goal on August 17, 2017, 12:27:42 PM
Late addition to the schedule is Messiah traveling to Rowan on Friday, October 15th.
Possible game of the year.

The game is on September 15, not October 15. 

It does mean Rowan plays back-to-backs the first three weekends of the season with mid-week Wednesday games every week as well.  And Rowan just returned from a week in Spain, so they will have a lot of games under their belts by mid-September and before getting into the thick of NJAC play.

For Messiah, it replaces the Mount St. Vincent game that was on their schedule previously, but not on Mount St. Vincent's schedule.  That's a big boost to the Falcons' SOS.

Go2Goal

Good catch on the date! I totally agree on all your points. It's good to see teams that are looominv to play the best competition out there. So many coaches run from both these teams.

rudy

From what I read previously Rowan seems to have added a lot of talent this year with transfers and incoming freshman. This will be a good test for both teams. Definitely one of the better regular season games of the year for out of conference games

franklyspeaking

Incoming class is average.  Upper class at Rowan is the strength

Go2Goal

Not sure what constitutes a great class! I know that Matt Fahey coming in is one of the top prospects entering D3 this year. He chose Rowan over ST. Joes. Kid is a freak. 6'5" lefty CB who instantly one of the fastest kids on the team. He was the pith South Jersey player of the year last.
But it really is about the transfers at Rowan. Remember these names...
Modou Sowe will be a sophomore
Ryan Campbell will be a junior
Matt Hendrickson will be a sophomore

Camp starts tomorrow...gonna be an exciting season!

Ejay

Quote from: Go2Goal on August 18, 2017, 11:07:15 AM
But it really is about the transfers at Rowan. Remember these names...
Modou Sowe will be a sophomore

Sowe, from Ramapo? Wasn't he a freshman 4 years ago?

Go2Goal

Yes, He was a freshman 3 years ago.

Ejay

What's he been doing for the last 2 years?

Falconer

This is a great addition to the schedule for both clubs. I'm excited that the Falcons put another tough opponent into the non-conference part of the schedule. I will probably be away on business, or I'd consider going to Rowan to see this one.  :'(

I expect a much more competitive game than the one two years ago in Grantham, when Rowan easily defeated a very young Falcon team 4-2 in a very physical game. Most of the Falcons who did anything in that game are back as juniors or seniors--especially rising junior winger Nick West, who scored both Falcon goals in that loss and should give Rowan (again) all they can handle--and they will be joined by some very talented sophomores, two of whom had their PT greatly limited by injuries last year. Defender Joey Cianciotta (a top HS player at Union Catholic and FC Copa Academy in NJ) missed almost the whole season with a groin injury, and MF Jonnie Groothoff wasn't fully recovered from an ACL injury he obtained in HS. I don't know whether either man will start, given the level of talent surrounding them and the fact that they don't yet have the college game experience of some of the other sophomores, but I won't be too surprised if both of them get a lot of quality PT.

In the first six games of that 2015 seasons, the Falcons surrendered 4 goals twice (the other opponent was CMU). That hadn't happened for a very long time, and it hasn't happened since. I don't see it happening this year, either. The backline and keeper are much better than at the start of 2015, and I see the possibility that rising sophomore Cooper Robbins will get consideration for AA status, perhaps even this year.

Go2Goal

The Falcons are clearly a better team than 2 years ago. However, if you look at what is happening in Glassboro, NJ change is happening at light speed. Rowan has only graduated 4 players from the team that crushed Messiah 2 years ago. The influx of talent at Rowan since then has been at the top of the country. This will be a great battle between two of the clear favorites for the national title. I call Rowan 3-0.

Shooter McGavin

9/30 Amherst hosts Tufts has to be in consideration for game of the year