FB: Upper Midwest Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baldini

Disappointing as always to hear the news of a closure. Everyone knows that more will follow, but disappointing regardless. 

Baldini

Just a heads up Pat, the UMAC has re-did their conference football schedule with the closing of MacMurray and what you have on D3 Football is no longer correct.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Baldini on April 01, 2020, 12:18:36 PM
Just a heads up Pat, the UMAC has re-did their conference football schedule with the closing of MacMurray and what you have on D3 Football is no longer correct.

Do you have a link with the new schedule? There is no 2020 schedule on the UMAC website's football page.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Baldini

Quote from: Pat Coleman on April 01, 2020, 01:05:04 PM

Do you have a link with the new schedule? There is no 2020 schedule on the UMAC website's football page.

I also checked the UMAC site and got nothing, but Martin Luther and St. Scholastica have updated their schedules on their sites. I also checked Northwestern and Greenville, but they still show the old schedules. I would hope the UMAC site would release the complete schedule, but they don't do a very good job with such things, so I would not told my breath waiting for them to release information. It is time consuming but in the UMAC you usually need to go from one school site to the next to get what you are looking for. Back to square one.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Baldini on April 01, 2020, 01:57:15 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on April 01, 2020, 01:05:04 PM

I also checked the UMAC site and got nothing, but Martin Luther and St. Scholastica have updated their schedules on their sites. I also checked Northwestern and Greenville, but they still show the old schedules. I would hope the UMAC site would release the complete schedule, but they don't do a very good job with such things, so I would not told my breath waiting for them to release information. It is time consuming but in the UMAC you usually need to go from one school site to the next to get what you are looking for. Back to square one.

With all the moving parts, I don't think I can make changes for just one or two teams at a time, but I'll contact the conference office.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Baldini

Pat Coleman

Alright -- I think this is all sorted now.

The eight UMAC teams are playing non-conference games against each other in Week 10 of the season. Each of those games is a conference rematch.

Baldini

Quote from: Pat Coleman on April 01, 2020, 02:58:52 PM
Alright -- I think this is all sorted now.

The eight UMAC teams are playing non-conference games against each other in Week 10 of the season. Each of those games is a conference rematch.

You are the man Pat.

https://www.d3football.com/conf/umac/2020/schedule

Pat Coleman

Baldini

Hard to come up with potential schools to join the UMAC. For the past few years I had thought that UM-Crookston would be a candidate to join D3 and the UMAC would be a good fit, but they dropped football and are staying put in D2. Had some hope that Macalester would come aboard, but they are headed back to MIAC. Former members Rockford and Eureka probably have little reason to depart the NACC. Tough road ahead for the UMAC and football I believe. 

doolittledog

Quote from: Baldini on June 09, 2020, 02:23:18 PM
Hard to come up with potential schools to join the UMAC. For the past few years I had thought that UM-Crookston would be a candidate to join D3 and the UMAC would be a good fit, but they dropped football and are staying put in D2. Had some hope that Macalester would come aboard, but they are headed back to MIAC. Former members Rockford and Eureka probably have little reason to depart the NACC. Tough road ahead for the UMAC and football I believe.

Also hard to come up with potential conferences for UMAC football schools to join. 

What scenarios would be more likely?
A - The remaining UMAC football schools just carry on as-is?
B - Current UMAC schools without football add the sport?
C - Remaining UMAC football schools look at moves to other conferences?  And as affiliate members for football...or full conference moves?
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

hickory_cornhusker

Quote from: doolittledog on June 09, 2020, 02:43:50 PM

Also hard to come up with potential conferences for UMAC football schools to join. 

C - Remaining UMAC football schools look at moves to other conferences?  And as affiliate members for football...or full conference moves?

Simplest (though not great) solution I came up with is invite Finlandia for everything. They play in the MIAA for football but they will be in the CAC-ACCA for everything else. The travel would be rough, especially heading down U.S. Hwy. 2 in February. But there is no other schools that are currently D3 and likely to be willing to join.

RFMichigan

(Copied from the basketball board)
Quote from: hickory_cornhusker on June 09, 2020, 01:35:45 PM
If I'm counting correctly, this is going to drop the UMAC football conference down to six members.

Crown
MN-Morris
Martin Luther
Northwestern-STP
Westminster
Greenville
MacMurray closed
St. Scholastica headed to MIAC
Iowa Wesleyan headed to NAIA

I'm wondering if there is a better chance of the UMAC picking up a school to get back to seven members or the remaining schools find other conferences for football. The Minnesota schools may have better options (Midwest?) but Greenville and Westminster are really geographic outliers in this scenario. Perhaps Greenville could go the way of their SLIAC brother, Eureka, and try to get into the NACC as an associate member for football, but what will Westminster do? ARC?

RFMichigan

Quote from: hickory_cornhusker on June 09, 2020, 03:37:44 PM
Quote from: doolittledog on June 09, 2020, 02:43:50 PM

Simplest (though not great) solution I came up with is invite Finlandia for everything. They play in the MIAA for football but they will be in the CAC-ACCA for everything else. The travel would be rough, especially heading down U.S. Hwy. 2 in February. But there is no other schools that are currently D3 and likely to be willing to join.

I always thought Finlandia to the UMAC made more sense for them than any other scenario (but you're correct - it's still not great). However that puts Greenville and Westminster in an even worse situation geographically for football. That's a lot of trips to the "upper midwest". Brrrr.   

Caz Bombers

quite surprised Northland College doesn't have football, looks like they have a new on campus stadium that's already lined for football (presumably local high schools use the facility). They're already a full UMAC member. Not all that far from Finlandia either, relatively.