MBB: Landmark Conference

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, February 20, 2007, 07:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NEPAFAN

Quote from: augie on December 30, 2016, 06:10:44 PM
Just having dinner in Barnabys in Ashton,PA after the beat down in Neumann.The only one that impressed me was Mancuso he fought hard today and Doolan came out of the 2nd half on fire.But besides them to same old same old Push Maryland and White.One thing there Coach didn't take a break  he hammered Scranton until 3 minutes to go.One other thing Danzig lost a tooth from an elbow and Dad was Yelling the only time I heard him stick up for his team.But kudos to Neumann nice team out of the starting 5( average age is about 26.)from my perspective why can't we get these type of players?

Keep your head up Augie.
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: augie on December 30, 2016, 06:10:44 PM
Just having dinner in Barnabys in Ashton,PA after the beat down in Neumann.The only one that impressed me was Mancuso he fought hard today and Doolan came out of the 2nd half on fire.But besides them to same old same old Push Maryland and White.One thing there Coach didn't take a break  he hammered Scranton until 3 minutes to go.One other thing Danzig lost a tooth from an elbow and Dad was Yelling the only time I heard him stick up for his team.But kudos to Neumann nice team out of the starting 5( average age is about 26.)from my perspective why can't we get these type of players?

Their best top scorer and rebounder didn't play tonight, so there's that, too.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Matt Letourneau

Catholic played a highly entertaining game against a scrappy, rough and tumble Stockton team tonight. Stockton ran a very aggressive full court pressure/trap defense and gave CUA some fits getting the ball in and up the court (there were at least 2 10 second calls).  But in the end the Cardinals had better talent and pulled away rather easily, winning 81-70 (and it wasn't really that close).  Andre Mitchell really had an incredible 2 game span, scoring 49 points over the last 2 days.  He's really taken over the Fonville role as the 2 and floor general--the offense ran through him very effectively.  Stockton overplayed on defense and committed a ton of fouls--to the point where they probably got away with quite a bit because they couldn't blow the whistle on every possession.  That's how the NJAC rolls I guess. 

Compared to the last time I saw them, the Cardinals has made some defensive strides, particularly in the interior. 

Should be an interesting 3 or 4 team scrum in the Landmark this year as we transition to league play.  Sounds like Scranton's game against Neumann went about as well as Catholic's did, which if nothing else means they are probably going to be quite evenly matched again.  On the other hand, Scranton lost to Arcadia by 11, and Catholic beat Arcadia yesterday, controlling the game the entire 2nd half. 

ronk

Quote from: Matt Letourneau on December 31, 2016, 01:16:43 AM
Catholic played a highly entertaining game against a scrappy, rough and tumble Stockton team tonight. Stockton ran a very aggressive full court pressure/trap defense and gave CUA some fits getting the ball in and up the court (there were at least 2 10 second calls).  But in the end the Cardinals had better talent and pulled away rather easily, winning 81-70 (and it wasn't really that close).  Andre Mitchell really had an incredible 2 game span, scoring 49 points over the last 2 days.  He's really taken over the Fonville role as the 2 and floor general--the offense ran through him very effectively.  Stockton overplayed on defense and committed a ton of fouls--to the point where they probably got away with quite a bit because they couldn't blow the whistle on every possession.  That's how the NJAC rolls I guess. 

Compared to the last time I saw them, the Cardinals has made some defensive strides, particularly in the interior. 

Should be an interesting 3 or 4 team scrum in the Landmark this year as we transition to league play.  Sounds like Scranton's game against Neumann went about as well as Catholic's did, which if nothing else means they are probably going to be quite evenly matched again.  On the other hand, Scranton lost to Arcadia by 11, and Catholic beat Arcadia yesterday, controlling the game the entire 2nd half.

I see it as 5 - Sus,CUA,Scr,Jun,Mor.

saratoga

Holy cow...just watched the first half of the Cabrini/Neumann game & I thought I was watching a re-run of an Eastern League game circa 1973 between the Scranton Apollos & the Allentown Jets.

Guess I'm to used to the Scranton kids that all look like they're 18.

I swear Kendall McNeill, Willie Somerset & Swish McKinney are still out there battling Hawthorne Wingo, George Bruns & Art Heyman.

The kids look,.....mature.

Getting a little chippie with elbows being swung on nearly every rebound. If one connects with someone, it may get messy very quickly.
Refs have their hands full tonight & the Neumann coach isn't helping as he's been yelling the whole game.

Should be an interesting final 20 minutes.

Wonder if the Cabrini turnover with 3 seconds that was turned into a basket by Neumann will be a factor in the outcome?

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I've reached a point in life where I can't tell if someone is 15 or 25, so those age references go right over my head.  I do think both teams have guys who might be farther out of high school than many of their class peers.

augie

Wait a minute so it is okay for men to play against boys.You have a guy seven years older and playing d3 basketball why is that okayAsk yourself that Ryan!That is absurd to be 24,25 or 26 and playing d3 basketball something is wrong there.Hey great trying to get an education but NCAA should put an age limit on playing sports.It's called men versus boys already they have 7 years on these kids and the only teams I see do this is the CSAC.Why is that?

augie

Neumanns roster Kenny Wilson graduated from HS 2011 and he is listed as a Sophomore he played 2012 2013 his Freshman season for Kutztown.James Butler graduated HS 2013 and is a Sr,Darian Barnes graduated HS 2011 and is a Sr,Tyraire Hudson graduated HS 2014 is a Jr and DeShawn Lowman is a graduate from HS 2012 and is a Sr.I just wonder why down in the Philadelphia area those d3 colleges or universitys are always getting players that are much older then the average d3 player?It is just a? WHY is that.It is men against boys just a big advantage when you have a 26 year old against a 18 year old

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: augie on January 06, 2017, 09:12:47 PM
Wait a minute so it is okay for men to play against boys.You have a guy seven years older and playing d3 basketball why is that okayAsk yourself that Ryan!That is absurd to be 24,25 or 26 and playing d3 basketball something is wrong there.Hey great trying to get an education but NCAA should put an age limit on playing sports.It's called men versus boys already they have 7 years on these kids and the only teams I see do this is the CSAC.Why is that?

When I was a sophomore or a junior, we had a 28 year old freshman.  The team was full of guys who came from pretty rough backgrounds and he was a real calming influence.  He had a ton of street cred and enough life experience to be mature.  He had kids to support and he got an education (graduated in four years).

I didn't go to a CSAC school, but a lot of d3 schools have a mission that's focused on education, regardless of background or circumstance.  Does it always work out?  Sadly, no, but in my experience, at least, it works out more than it doesn't.

I don't know a ton about Neumann, but they've got a deep religious core and I imagine working with students who may be on a second or third chance in life is precisely why the school exists.  I don't believe the team is "full of" guys who are significantly older, but even so, isn't it part of the d3 mission to welcome everyone - at least that's the commercial we hear all the time during Hoopsville breaks.

It's only "unfair" if someone is intentionally putting off their education for five years specifically to dominate d3 basketball - and if that's a choice you've made in life, you've got far bigger problems than just basketball.

Reserved Seat

You, also, have players taking advantage of the educational benefits who went into the military before going to college.

saratoga

I think there are probably many honorable reasons why some schools are willing to work with the "adult" student.

As Reserved Seat correctly points out...some are vets taking advantage of educational benefits they clearly earned while being in the military after high school.

Personally, I don't think any reasonable person would even notice if a vet came back & started his or her career at age 23.

I think what Augie is pointing out is that in Neumann's case, we're not talking about the vet or the "adult" student that appears once every 4 or 5 years, we're talking about virtually an entire starting lineup designed & built with that population that absolutely is an advantage over kids 18-21.

No one is saying it's illegal in the sense of NCAA infraction illegal...just that when you play a team with one "adult" superstar it's one thing, going against a roster full of them...quite another.

NEPAFAN

I would be curious about the tuition difference b/w a Nemann , Cabrini and Scranton.

Also would like to see Scranton get a bit more diverse in their roster...

Edit: Answered my own question Neumann is half the cost of Scranton. Makes it easier for someone looking for a second chance or military veteran etc.
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: saratoga on January 07, 2017, 09:58:41 AM
I think there are probably many honorable reasons why some schools are willing to work with the "adult" student.

As Reserved Seat correctly points out...some are vets taking advantage of educational benefits they clearly earned while being in the military after high school.

Personally, I don't think any reasonable person would even notice if a vet came back & started his or her career at age 23.

I think what Augie is pointing out is that in Neumann's case, we're not talking about the vet or the "adult" student that appears once every 4 or 5 years, we're talking about virtually an entire starting lineup designed & built with that population that absolutely is an advantage over kids 18-21.

No one is saying it's illegal in the sense of NCAA infraction illegal...just that when you play a team with one "adult" superstar it's one thing, going against a roster full of them...quite another.

What I'm saying is that it's not as uncommon as you'd think.  Neumann just happens to be winning, which is pretty novel.

mailsy

I'm shocked!  :o ;D There's more talk about the CSAC on the Landmark board than the CSAC board itself.  ;D
Cabrini Cavaliers 2012 National Runner-Up.
First official poster on the Atlantic East forum board.

CardsFan

Glad to see Catholic pull it out at the buzzer today. Haven't been to a ton of games in person this year, but after the beatdown I watched Swarthmore put on the Cards this past Tuesday night, I had real concerns going forward. Cards usually struggle at Juniata so I'm glad to see them get this win since Juniata is gonna be right around CUA for the playoff spots.

Catholic's record is better than I expected it to be at this point in the season, but I still maintain success for the season will simply be reaching the conference tournament.