MBB: St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by FC News, March 01, 2005, 11:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flying Dutch Fan and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

WUPHF

Quote from: hopefan on October 04, 2019, 07:15:09 AM
The trouble with the Karma point system is that when a negative is rewarded, there is no feedback on why the reader assigned it, and for a multiple poster like myself, what post or part of a post generated the negative feelings... wish there was feedback required so that the comment in question could at least be discussed...

You need to change the way you look at the karma score.

751 + 137 = 888.

People are reading.

Basketball is just over a month away!

GU1999

Quote from: allamericanredhead on December 03, 2015, 01:16:10 PM
Ok, now I am upset. Who gave me + karma points? I have worked hard to build my negative points. They tell me there is a poster on the football boards who has over 400 negative karma points!! A legend and my idol.

Ok, let's try these to raise some negative karma points:

Wash U is a prep school for rich spoiled east coast kids who couldn't get into Ivy League schools.

Dr. Nesmith stole his basketball idea from his college roommate Lee McKinney

SLIAC stands for: Slightly Lower than Intermural Afterschool Club

Terrorist have invaded Principia's campus armed with aspirin.

If Larry Bird had not been white, he would have been rated as just an average player.

Hope Fan is Dick Vitale's long lost twin brother.

All Right,  let's get that negative karma coming my way.

This may be an all time karma point post.  although i am just getting started on my quest to understand what they are all about.

Greek Tragedy

Karma used to be given for each post. I think I like that better but don't care enough to have it bother me one way or another.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

WUPHF

Quote from: GU1999 on October 04, 2019, 01:04:10 PM
This may be an all time karma point post. 

I'll be honest, I was the one giving her the positive karma.

I had a few private message conversations with her and her knowledge of St. Louis area small college basketball was incredible.

GU1999

I have no idea how it happened, but I just got a karma point. 

GU1999

Just for some Friday SLIAC hoops fun, I happened to click on this video which was pushed out by House of Highlights (which is a fun basketball video content follow).  I clicked on it because I think that Taco Fall is such a unique talent and for some unknown reason I want him to make it in the league. 

Anyway the relevance to this board came when I noted a surprise appearance in the video (about 30 seconds in) when former Blackburn hooper and GU bball grad assistant Jamie Young makes a suprise appearance. 

Of course I am sure that the board is aware of this but Jamie has been with the C's since he left GU and has worked his way up from video room to advanced scout to assistant coach under Doc and now Brad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sa6jH5F2cI

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on October 04, 2019, 01:11:27 PM
Karma used to be given for each post.

Indeed. But in fairness, that was more than 14 years ago.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

GU1999

Sun Times giving a little love to GU junior Marvin Bateman in the Illinois Top Hoops Teams of the Decade (2010-19) list.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2019/10/9/20905703/best-illinois-high-school-basketball-teams-decade

The list posted which was posted this morning features Marvin's Bellville Althoff team at #7 in the 2010 - 2019 era. 

When addressing the talent on that team, the paper says the following:

"The talent: Jordan Goodwin (18.6 ppg, 9.2 rpg and 3.2 apg) was just a junior but was a manchild at the high school level, which included a massive Peoria performance. In two wins in Peoria, Goodwin went for a combined 44 points, 25 rebounds, six assists and five steals. Goodwin is currently playing at Saint Louis.

This team also featured 6-6 Brendon Gooch (13.5 ppg), who went on to Southern Illinois, Tarkus Ferguson (13.6 ppg), who is putting together a terrific career at UIC, and Marvin Bateman (11.1 ppg), who became a Division III star at Greenville."

Marvin has 185 made 3's in his first two years at GU while shooting it at 39+ % and averaging a bit over 18 minutes per game.  He is tracking for the career conference made 3 pointers record. 

Friend of the Program

Mac Roster has been posted...
https://mchighlanders.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster

There are some names that are missing (Vincent, Renfro, McCubbin, Pringle) that contributed last season.

I am sure they will be getting contributions from some new faces, but the expected core would be Burwinkle, Dorothy, Trevor Voss, Blake Drew. Blake Drew only played the first half of last season, and Voss only played the second half. I expect those two to make some significant strides this year. Mac needs some of these new faces to make an immediate impact.

With all of the losses around the conference, things should be wide open this year.

ecreddevils

Quote from: Friend of the Program on October 10, 2019, 09:59:48 AM
Mac Roster has been posted...
https://mchighlanders.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster

There are some names that are missing (Vincent, Renfro, McCubbin, Pringle) that contributed last season.

I am sure they will be getting contributions from some new faces, but the expected core would be Burwinkle, Dorothy, Trevor Voss, Blake Drew. Blake Drew only played the first half of last season, and Voss only played the second half. I expect those two to make some significant strides this year. Mac needs some of these new faces to make an immediate impact.

With all of the losses around the conference, things should be wide open this year.

Mac is very young, yikes.  I said it last year, but Dorethy has a lot of potential.  George Kanatas stands out...perfectly natural journey from Athens, Greece to...Jacksonville, IL.  Greek Freak 2.0?  Mini Greek Freak?  Etc.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ghk3usvWDlM

allamericanredhead

Quote from: WUPHF on October 04, 2019, 02:09:08 PM

I had a few private message conversations with her and her knowledge of St. Louis area small college basketball was incredible.

Hey Boys, this old gal is still out here. I check in every once in a while. This old girl is getting kind of old for those cold winter nights. Any room in the trailer park down there in Florida, Hope? I do miss Denny, RIP, the absolute biggest homer in the history of homers, but you had to like his passion for anything Lee McKinney. Drove him nuts he couldn't figure out who I am, and none of his guesses was ever even close LOL. And I miss Lee, although I HATED watching his teams play. Nobody on any team of Lee's ever wore themselves out playing defense, for sure. But FC has done nothing but below average since he left. So what does this old girl know?

hopefan

Quote from: allamericanredhead on October 12, 2019, 12:02:07 AM
Quote from: WUPHF on October 04, 2019, 02:09:08 PM

Hey Boys, this old gal is still out here. I check in every once in a while. This old girl is getting kind of old for those cold winter nights. Any room in the trailer park down there in Florida, Hope? I do miss Denny, RIP, the absolute biggest homer in the history of homers, but you had to like his passion for anything Lee McKinney. Drove him nuts he couldn't figure out who I am, and none of his guesses was ever even close LOL. And I miss Lee, although I HATED watching his teams play. Nobody on any team of Lee's ever wore themselves out playing defense, for sure. But FC has done nothing but below average since he left. So what does this old girl know?

Red you're welcome in my trailer anytime, though the outhouse may get clogged now and then..... ;D ;D ;D
Glad you're still following the SLIAC!!
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

GU1999

For many years, the coming of October 15 brought with it a certain stirring in my mind and body.  This was, or at least used to be, the official start of practice for d3 schools.  This date brought with it an instinctual need to be on a track or in a gym testing for coaches, eager to show off the outcome of the off seasons hard skills and weight room work.   It brought with it the opportunity to gel with new and old teammates while holding in tension the idea that you were going to beating each others brains in for the next four weeks with out any games to act as a release valve.   The feeling that it was TIME FOR BASKETBALL persisted for a number of years after my tenure playing hoops was done.  These days the feeling is no longer pops up on 10/15, but I certainly am excited to know that in gyms around the league there are a couple hundred players and coaches honoring the game by preparing their bodies and minds for a new season.

Good luck to all the players and coaches as the learn, plan and train over the next months in anticipation for the season.

hopefan

GU...Oct 15 is still the magical day!!! But train and prep for months?  No way!!! The D3 season tips off in a mere 3 weeks!!  Nov. 8
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

GC Panther 01

Quote from: GU1999 on October 16, 2019, 03:25:26 PM
For many years, the coming of October 15 brought with it a certain stirring in my mind and body.  This was, or at least used to be, the official start of practice for d3 schools.  This date brought with it an instinctual need to be on a track or in a gym testing for coaches, eager to show off the outcome of the off seasons hard skills and weight room work.   It brought with it the opportunity to gel with new and old teammates while holding in tension the idea that you were going to beating each others brains in for the next four weeks with out any games to act as a release valve.   The feeling that it was TIME FOR BASKETBALL persisted for a number of years after my tenure playing hoops was done.  These days the feeling is no longer pops up on 10/15, but I certainly am excited to know that in gyms around the league there are a couple hundred players and coaches honoring the game by preparing their bodies and minds for a new season.

Good luck to all the players and coaches as the learn, plan and train over the next months in anticipation for the season.

Not as strong as it used to be but I still get the itch this time of year as well.