MBB: NEWMAC

Started by nehoops4life, March 03, 2005, 10:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

middhoops

According to the Boston Globe, Danny Ainge's son, Crew, is transferring to Babson after playing two years at Utah St.
Nice get.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: middhoops on May 14, 2019, 02:18:45 PM
According to the Boston Globe, Danny Ainge's son, Crew, is transferring to Babson after playing two years at Utah St.
Nice get.

It made the twitter rounds yesterday... Globe jumped on it as if they cared. NESN beat them.

Sorry - just having fun with it. :)
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

BaboNation

Quote from: middhoops on May 14, 2019, 02:18:45 PM
Nice get.

I hope it works out as well for the team as it does for his family.  Recent D1 transfers to Babo have been somewhat underwhelming. 
After the championship season no fewer than 3 guys came in.
Hasbargen came in as a grad and was fine when healthy, but certainly not a standout.
Dolan has been hurt for most of both years and only an end of the bench contributor.
Johnson was (now graduated) the best of the bunch, but had games where he flashed and others where he disappeared.
Some people hear "D1 transfer" and expect to see a man playing with boys.  Not usually the case.
In Ainge's case, he's a little older coming in (having served his mission) so the added maturity and pedigree can't hurt.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I usually don't get all that hyped about recruits. I agree that you have to wait and see.

That said, the resume for Ainge seems a bit better than most recruits considering where he played and the fact he had 18 starts last season.

Does it mean automatic success? Heck no. We have seen many a "great" recruit from DI fail to live up to even remote expectations (St. Joe's Conn had a pretty interesting DI recruit - with NBA aspirations -  that didn't even finish the season last year). I just think this one might be one of those that seems to pan out.

Who knows. He has to be in uniform in a game before we really know.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

hopefan

As I take my first trek through available D3 schedules (about 25% of the schools across the country have them posted now), I notice the US Coast Guard Academy will be playing on Nov 8 in the Armed Forces Classic in Alaska.

"The ninth annual Armed Forces Classic will be staged at the Alaska Airlines Center on the University of Alaska Anchorage campus in Anchorage on Friday, Nov. 8, in a partnership with the Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson military facility.

The men's college basketball doubleheader will be a part of ESPN's Veterans Week initiative, and will pit Baylor against Washington and Alaska Anchorage against Coast Guard Academy Both games will air on ESPN.

The games will be televised on ESPN as part of the network's America's Heroes: A Salute to Our Veterans initiative honoring the men and women who are serving and who have served in the United States military, both at home and abroad."

What a thrill for our D3 guys!!!!!    PAT, Ryan, Dave... road trip?

The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

BaboNation

Thanks for posting hopefan.

The Coast Guard is such an under-appreciated branch of our armed services, even when they aren't boarding a fast-moving narco sub in rough seas. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qBq35ilprvg

It's dangerous work even when you're rescuing a disabled sailing vessel.

If you guys do end up going to the tournament, shouldn't you be making it a boat trip?

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Reading Chuck Klosterman's new short story collection and ran across this odd counter-factual piece about the dominance of MIT basketball in the late 2000s.  They imagine a world where all the best players chose MIT, but he still includes Jimmy Bartolotta in the list.

https://twitter.com/RyanAlanScott/status/1157714057836847104
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

BaboNation

Here's a link to a Babson story that reflects on the years that the Celtics held training camp at the old, tiny, Peavey Gym.

http://www.babsonathletics.com/general/2019-20/releases/20190812tsaf0g

WPI89

Congrats to WPI - pre-season #16. 

Can't wait to get up to Harrington for several games this year.  Although my first in-person game will likely be in New Haven vs Magnus in early December!

Congrats to the other ranked NE ranked teams - Amherst, Midd, and Nichols!

WPI89

I saw nothing but the score. But you would think a result like tonight could put the MIT v Harvard tradition in jeopardy?

BaboNation

Quote from: WPI89 on November 05, 2019, 10:17:52 PM
I saw nothing but the score. But you would think a result like tonight could put the MIT v Harvard tradition in jeopardy?

It's a perfect storm.  Harvard has everyone back and is loaded with senior talent.  MIT lost a ton of talent to graduation and is playing freshmen.  Tommy Amaker is really building a strong program and recruiting very well.

Side note:  I don't see Hamilton Forsythe on MIT's roster.  He is a legitimate NEWMAC first-team caliber player.  I wonder if he's given up basketball?  He's had some injuries.  That would be a huge loss to their program for this year.

Side note 2:  Babson's Julian Alexis (senior) is also not on their roster.  He's nowhere near Forsythe in talent or contribution level, but it's always surprising when a kid plays for 3 years (in his case) and then ???

WPI89

Yikes 5% from 3. But a win is a win. Can't win them all if you don't win the first one!

BaboNation

Quote from: WPI89 on November 09, 2019, 12:41:31 AM
Yikes 5% from 3. But a win is a win. Can't win them all if you don't win the first one!

The WPI team defense will keep them in a lot of games this year.

Smitty Oom

Really nice to see Jake Ross and Heath Post play well last night. Both were efficient scorers, rebounded the ball and limited turnovers. Probably not what the rest of the NEWMAC wants to see but these two might have something to say during their senior years... Hopefully the Pride can stay healthy this year and they can get some solid contributions from the rest of the team, no one else was in double figures or played more than 25 minutes. Will be something to watch for sure.