MBB: Northwest Conference

Started by The Show, March 06, 2005, 08:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

etule

Great win! got nervous when it took about 8 minutes to adjust to their 1-3-1 zone. Tough game coming up they could do it! Lot's of weapons!

etule

Looks like VW is very athletic and their guards are big! Only common opponent was Trinity early! Hard to judge!  Should be a great game!

(509)Rat

Quote from: etule on March 04, 2012, 03:36:34 PMgot nervous when it took about 8 minutes to adjust to their 1-3-1 zone.

What game were you watching?

etule

The one where they didn't have a field goal for about 7 or 8 minutes and went from a almost 20 point lead down to 3 ! They had trouble atacking the zone!

(509)Rat

I've never seen a 1-3-1 that looks like what Trinity was running last night...

etule

Call it what you want ! My point is it took them a long time to adust and it almost cost them!

A Buc Forever

Great job by the Pirates this weekend. They did fantastic job of playing very efficiently and taking care of business.  Now we are down to the part of the tournament where efficiency is great, but you have to play your best ball. In the latest poll the teams were ranked 6, 7, 8 and 24.  Rough bracket.   The Pirates are going to have to bring their A game to make it to the final 4.

I feel good about this team.  They might not have the overall talent of last year, but with Felix's improvement they are stronger in the middle and rest of the team is playing looser and more fluid than they did last year at tournament time.  I think we are peaking at the right time.  We'll see. 

I see Wooster is hosting. Great place to host for the crowd size, and fairly easy to get there. I see whey the NCAA sends teams there, but this is also why you see the same teams in the final four every year. It is such a huge advantage to play at home.  Used to shooting in the gym, friendly crowds, and no road weariness.  In addition, in the case of Wooster, serious home cooking by the refs.  WW's game there last year is one of the few games I've seen where refs consistently made bad calls or non-calls that had a huge influence on the flow of the game. I think Wooster is likely to be a final four team.  I honestly have been impressed by the refs in all the other tournament games I have watched and never heard any complaints from the players except for that one game.  My guess is that Wisconsin will have good refs.  Should be a fun weekend.

Mr. Ypsi

Refs are NOT from the conferences playing in the game (except, perhaps, for you d3 islands!).  If refs favor the home team it is 'rabbit ears', not home loyalty.

Wooster does probably have the advantage, but my Titans, having just taken down #1 Hope AT Hope are certainly not going to be intimidated about having to play Woo AT Woo.  (Since 1990, we have played tourney games AT #1 or #2 ranked teams 6 times; after last night we are now 6-0. ;D)

(And, yes, the refs at Hope were bad, but they were pretty much equal-opportunity bad. :P)

Pat Coleman

Quote from: A Buc Forever on March 04, 2012, 07:13:39 PM
this is also why you see the same teams in the final four every year.

We do?
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

A Buc Forever

Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 04, 2012, 10:28:20 PM

We do?
The final over the last 10 years have had 12 teams out of a possible 20.  None from the NWC or the SCIAC.  As long as we get 1 team a year each, have to travel all over to play, and get draws with an over abundance of ranked teams in our brackets, it will be GREAT team that makes the final four from the west.

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 04, 2012, 08:10:57 PM
Refs are NOT from the conferences playing in the game (except, perhaps, for you d3 islands!).  If refs favor the home team it is 'rabbit ears', not home loyalty.

Wooster does probably have the advantage, but my Titans, having just taken down #1 Hope AT Hope are certainly not going to be intimidated about having to play Woo AT Woo.  (Since 1990, we have played tourney games AT #1 or #2 ranked teams 6 times; after last night we are now 6-0. ;D)

(And, yes, the refs at Hope were bad, but they were pretty much equal-opportunity bad. :P)

Good luck taking down Wooster.  At least make them earn the trip to Salem. Maybe the refs weren't their usual refs, but it really was the only game I have seen where I thought the refs have unfairly affected the outcome throughout the game, not just a bad call at the wrong time.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: A Buc Forever on March 04, 2012, 11:23:37 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 04, 2012, 10:28:20 PM

We do?
The final over the last 10 years have had 12 teams out of a possible 20.  None from the NWC or the SCIAC. 

There are over 40 conferences in D-III. A lot of them have not been represented.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Bearcat Press

Quote from: etule on March 04, 2012, 05:46:56 PM
The one where they didn't have a field goal for about 7 or 8 minutes and went from a almost 20 point lead down to 3 ! They had trouble atacking the zone!

It sure looked like a 2-3 zone to me, but you're right - the Bucs looked like they'd never seen it before, which surprised me.  That being said, clutch players make clutch plays, and Whitworth has a team of clutch players.
"It's a slippery slope from the penthouse to the outhouse." - Mark Speckman

playball

Quote from: Bearcat Press on March 05, 2012, 12:22:29 PM
Quote from: etule on March 04, 2012, 05:46:56 PM

It sure looked like a 2-3 zone to me, but you're right - the Bucs looked like they'd never seen it before, which surprised me.  That being said, clutch players make clutch plays, and Whitworth has a team of clutch players.

All 1-3-1 zones pretty much drop back into a 2-3 with one pass to the wing.  Surprising they had trouble with any kind of zone since thats what they would run when Symes was there.  But then again, just showing my age! haha

etule

Trinity did a good job of trapping the wing and the baseline! They mixed it up pretty well and it took a while for the coaching staff to adjust! They finally did and they hit a couple of 3's and the game was over. They have to make the adjustments quicker or they will not recover! Players have to adjust quicker also!
I'm rooting for WW!

A Buc Forever

The link for the game:

http://uwwwarhawks.nmtvsports.com/

5:30 Central Time  3:30 Pacific Time