2017 West Regional - Tyler, TX

Started by Westside, May 04, 2017, 12:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Parkman

If ETBU were to win this coming weekend, I would think that bodes very poorly for Concordia.  I don't see the ASC getting 3 teams in, but if Tyler wins, I think Concordia still has a pretty good shot.  This is the way I see things shaping up if Tyler wins.

1. Centenary
2. Cal Lu
3. Tyler
4. Linfield
5. Concordia
6. Rhodes

If ETBU wins, I see it this way

1. Centenary
2. Cal Lu
3. Linfield
4. Tyler
5. ETBU
6. Rhodes

TexasBB

If UTT wins i expect that they will be higher than 3rd in the region.  With ETBU winning this week they should be regionally ranked along with CTX.  That would mean UTT could have a 7-2 record against regionally ranked opponents. They were 3-1 last week. The ASC tournament changed everything. They jump Centenaary at least.

SoCalBaseballfan

I am in total agreement with pool A bids winning on the field by winning their conference tournaments. I view that as round 1 of the playoffs

Jim Dixon

I would not expect Rhodes to be sent to the West.  There is a glut of Mid-Atlantic, New York and New England teams, so expect a team like Ramapo headed West.  The Midwest regional will take all those north and west of St. Louis which leaves the Central filled with the neighborhood that includes Rhodes and the western edge of the Mideast.

Jack Parkman

West               
1.   Texas-Tyler      
2.   Cal Lutheran   
3.   Centenary (Louisiana)      
4.   Linfield   
5.   Concordia University Texas      
6.   East Texas Baptist      
7.   Chapman      
8.   Redlands      

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Jack Parkman on May 11, 2017, 12:04:29 PM
West               
1.   Texas-Tyler      
2.   Cal Lutheran   
4.   Linfield   
6.   East Texas Baptist      
7.   Chapman      
8.   Redlands      

Gotta give props to Jim Dixon on Concordia's (CTX) position.

If ETBU wins the Pool A, then CTX is way out on the bubble.
If UT-Tyler wins 2 of 3 against ETBU, is that enough to boost ETBU over CTX, which lost to UTT 2 games to 1 last weekend?

SoCalSoxFan

Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 11, 2017, 05:43:55 PM
Quote from: Jack Parkman on May 11, 2017, 12:04:29 PM
West               
1.   Texas-Tyler      
2.   Cal Lutheran   
4.   Linfield   
6.   East Texas Baptist      
7.   Chapman      
8.   Redlands      

Gotta give props to Jim Dixon on Concordia's (CTX) position.

If ETBU wins the Pool A, then CTX is way out on the bubble.
If UT-Tyler wins 2 of 3 against ETBU, is that enough to boost ETBU over CTX, which lost to UTT 2 games to 1 last weekend?

IF UT-Tyler wins, It wouldn't surprise me if only 4 West 'A' teams made it into the West Region; with CTX or ETBU left out.   
Two non-Wests  could be driven or flown in.

This would be similar to 2014 Linfield Hosting:

Linfield
LeTourneau
Cal Lutheran
Trinity (Texas)

Illinois Wesleyan
UW-Stevens Point

Chapman, 30 wins but Ranked 6th regionally left home.
George Fox, ranked 4th and local.. also left home.

That year, J Parkman predicted:
1. Linfield
2. Cal Lu
3. Trinity

4. George Fox
5. LeTu
6. Illinois Wesleyan, John Carroll or St. Norbert

And G.Fox was surprisingly left home and "replaced" with UW-Stevens Point (who lost in Finals to Linfield 4-2, after defeating CLU 9-7 in 12 innings the night before)

TexasBB

The new rankings confirmed what I thought. The ASC tournament changed everything aand boosted UTT to the top. With both CTX and ETB ranked UTT has the best win loss ratio and most games against regional ranked teams. The playoff structure and balance in the ASC with 4 real good teams made up for a weaker non-conference schedule.

Jack Parkman

Quote from: TexasBB on May 11, 2017, 10:32:07 PM
The new rankings confirmed what I thought. The ASC tournament changed everything aand boosted UTT to the top. With both CTX and ETB ranked UTT has the best win loss ratio and most games against regional ranked teams. The playoff structure and balance in the ASC with 4 real good teams made up for a weaker non-conference schedule.

I think you could be off a little on that as I am counting UTT at 5-3 against regionally ranked teams, Cal Lu is 7-3 (1-1 vs Linfield, 3-0 vs Chapman, 3-2 vs Redlands).  I'm honestly too lazy to look at the rest of the teams but I expect UTT to take care of business and stay #1. 

SoCalSoxFan

Quote from: Jack Parkman on May 11, 2017, 11:14:53 PM
Quote from: TexasBB on May 11, 2017, 10:32:07 PM

I think you could be off a little on that as I am counting UTT at 5-3 against regionally ranked teams, Cal Lu is 7-3 (1-1 vs Linfield, 3-0 vs Chapman, 3-2 vs Redlands).  I'm honestly too lazy to look at the rest of the teams but I expect UTT to take care of business and stay #1.

JP, I started to look at each team and CLU had most games and wins of the top 4.   Alas, I was doing this from work and couldn't finish the review.   Maybe I can finish top 4 west regional " vs RR" review in the morning.

Jack Parkman

Here is how the West breaks down vs RRO

1. UTT: 5-3; 1-1 vs Centenary, 2-1 vs ETBU, 2-1 vs CTX
2. Cal Lu: 7-3; 3-0 vs Chapman, 1-1 vs Linfield, 3-2 vs Redlands
3. Centenary: 5-2; 1-1 vs Redlands, 3-0 vs ETBU, 1-1 vs UTT
4. Linfield: 2-3; 1-1 vs Cal Lu, 0-2 vs Chapman, 1-0 vs Redlands
5. CTX: 5-6; 1-2 vs Birmingham Southern, 2-0 vs CU Chicago, 1-2 vs ETBU, 1-2 vs UTT
6. ETBU: 3-6; 0-3 vs Centenary, 2-1 vs CTX, 1-2 vs UTT
7. Chapman: 8-7; 2-0 vs Linfield, 0-3 vs Cal Lu, 2-1 vs CU Wisconsin, 1-0 vs Ithaca, 3-3 vs Redlands
8. Redlands: 7-8; 1-1 vs Centenary, 0-1 vs Linfield, 3-3 vs Chapman, 1-0 vs Ithaca, 2-3 vs Cal Lu

This could be a little bit overly influenced due to the ASC and SCIAC both having 3 teams in the rankings but it gives a little snapshot into it all.  Everyone is done with the exception of UTT and ETBU playing this weekend and if UTT wins, they will be the #1 with CTX being the first Pool C from the West on the board.  I have zero idea how they stack up nationally but I think it should be pretty solid due to SOS.  If ETBU wins, UTT is the first Pool C on the board and thats probably all she wrote for CTX, then ship in a team from out of the region.

TexasBB

I was a little off has I had included in the UTT total their two wins against Trinity which has fallen out of the regional ranking this week. 

SoCalSoxFan

Quote from: Jim Dixon on May 08, 2017, 01:14:26 PM
I would not expect Rhodes to be sent to the West.  There is a glut of Mid-Atlantic, New York and New England teams, so expect a team like Ramapo headed West.  The Midwest regional will take all those north and west of St. Louis which leaves the Central filled with the neighborhood that includes Rhodes and the western edge of the Mideast.

Process question:

When assigning the 14 Pool C teams,

1) Do they start with reviewing all 8 regions, and then any Region #1 that didn't make Pool A would be 1st in Pool C,
then the 8 Regional #2's, then 3's, then 4's, etc...
ie... Birmingham South #1 in South Region, but not a Pool A.   Birm South would get selected in first pass of Pool C selections.

IF UTT wins and is #1; and CTX stays at #5 in the Region;
There may be more than 14 #1-#4 seeds that didn't get automatic Pool A bids.
If so, then CTX may get passed over and West only have 4 teams representing us (like in 2014)

or
2)  Because of the disparate # of teams in each Regional Rankings,

Ralph Turner

The Pool A bids are pulled off the table.
After the Pool B teams are allocated from the Regional Rankings (imagine WashU St Louis and Emory for the sake of this discussion) then the selection committee goes reviews the remaining teams in the regional rankings, putting one on the board from each region.
The bid awarded to the best team by the Primary Criteria (and rarely the secondary criteria) found in the Handbook. A #3 seed in one region might be selected ahead of a #1 seed in another region.
After the first one is pulled off, the next team in that region is brought to the table.
The 8 teams are considered again and a bid is given. The next team in line from that region is brought to the table.
The process repeats itself until the 14 bids are awarded.

SoCalSoxFan

Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 12, 2017, 06:47:20 PM
The Pool A bids are pulled off the table.
After the Pool B teams are allocated from the Regional Rankings (imagine WashU St Louis and Emory for the sake of this discussion) then the selection committee goes reviews the remaining teams in the regional rankings, putting one on the board from each region.
The bid awarded to the best team by the Primary Criteria (and rarely the secondary criteria) found in the Handbook. A #3 seed in one region might be selected ahead of a #1 seed in another region.
After the first one is pulled off, the next team in that region is brought to the table.
The 8 teams are considered again and a bid is given. The next team in line from that region is brought to the table.
The process repeats itself until the 14 bids are awarded.

Thanks for the very clear explanation!!