2017 Great Lakes Region

Started by Domino1195, February 28, 2017, 04:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulNewman

Well, nice season.  3 shots for Ott and 3 goals. 

bestfancle

Tough loss for JCU Saturday night, you can't knock JCU's effort in the 2-0 loss to Calvin.

I was extremely impressed with both teams, some of the best tactical soccer I have seen live at the division 3 level. Both teams were so strategic and had long periods of possession. JCU's Marinaro had a pretty good chance to go up 1-0, but couldn't convert. I believe Calvin was the better team and probably deserved to win 1-0, but I wouldn't have been surprised to see this game head to OT or for JCU to sneak out a win.

Calvin was so good, both their CB and #9 are gifted players, and were incredible to watch.

Overall great showing by the OAC in my opinion. JCU really took it to OWU, then lost to one of the best teams in the country in a close one. Capital sneaks into the playoffs and wins its first game in 2OT, then loses to another great team in Chicago. Otterbein is still going playing their "brand" of soccer that allowed them to win the OAC tournament. Not the prettiest play, but it works for them. Great coaching coming out of Griffiths and his group.

JCU has to rebuild going into next year. Losing its 3 firepower players on offense will be tough, but they return Parente who will be the main offensive weapon next year. JCU also returns the best Goalie in the conference IMO, and freshman of the year Turintin who is obviously a D-1 player. He may be the captain of the squad next year as a sophomore. I expect two St. Ignatius High School kids to fill the gaps in the defense (if anyone is familiar with Iggy, they are typically the best team in the state each year). One player played significant minutes last year but spent this season studying abroad (plans to play a 5th year). The other player is a freshman on the team right now, who has played spot minutes this year.

Otterbein and Capital should only get better and I don't expect Ohio Northern to stay down for long. They also have a player, who might be the best defender in the conference, Dakota Swisher, who studied abroad this semester and will return next year as a 5th year senior to anchor the defense.

PaulNewman

Congratulations to Otterbein.  I'll be honest, I don't know how they are doing it, as I only watched them for a full game last night, but 17 in a row is 17 in a row.  They beat every team in a conference that was very strong this year, including 2 wins over a very dangerous Capital side.  I don't know how they beat JCU, who, IMO, was the top team in GL this year without question.  Otterbein also sort of came out of nowhere.  Even the OAC contingent here was all into JCU, then Heidelberg, with Capital going in and out of favor all season, and periodic mentions of Ohio Northern and Marietta.  Meanwhile, Otterbein just kept winning under the radar until very late in the season when we all began noticing.  You can tell from their press conference last night how excited they were (and even seemed surprised themselves).  I can't imagine they will seriously challenge St Thomas but who knows.  Regardless, those young men will have memories for a lifetime.

As for my Lords, a very disappointing ending.  This was a very good season overall after losing last year's stellar class, sort of like if JCU makes the tournament again next year after losing Marinaro, Lombardo, etc.  Kenyon came out flying and Otterbein hardly touched the ball for the first 15-20 minutes.  But Kenyon didn't score, and then after 2 corners and 2 shots Otterbein was up 2-0.  A late 1st half muff in the box by the frosh GK (who has had a great first season) led to a scrum and a 3rd goal.  3 goals on 4 shots and 3 out of 6 for the whole game.  The conditions were obviously the same for both teams but not ideal for a comeback.  Looked like Kenyon got a goal 10 minutes into the 2nd half but either it didn't cross the line or the refs could not confirm that it did.  They fought valiantly to the bitter end and pulled 2 goals back and had decent chances in the final 10 minutes to draw even.  Otterbein rarely crossed midfield.  Not having Myers no doubt hurt, perhaps more psychologically, but the Lords still had enough to get the job done and they didn't.  I've noted before that pressing and dominating possession can be exhausting especially if you don't score and the other team gets one against the run of play.  I sometimes wonder if the full press would be more effective as an in and out kind of deal so the other team doesn't know when it's coming and can't adjust as easily.

Congrats to the Kenyon seniors who never achieved what they wanted but still had great careers and were vital cogs in the resurgence of Kenyon soccer over the past 5-6 years.  Tough way for Myers to go out, who, btw, did get the NCAC double as Defensive POY last year and Offensive POY this year...first time that's happened since '96 and '97 when Kenyon's Kelsey Olds did the same.

Flying Weasel

From 2007 to 2016, Otterbein went 7-11-0, 7-7-3, 5-10-3, 3-14-2, 5-10-2, 6-8-3, 9-9-0, 10-9-0, 8-7-3 and 8-7-3.  Otterbein hadn't qualified for an OAC tournament since 2003 despite its expansion to 6 teams in 2007.  Otterbein hadn't made the NCAA tournament since their surprising run to the Final in 2002.

This year, with a new head coach in Jason Giffiths, the Cardinals go undefeated in OAC play to not only make the conference tournament, but as the #1 seed, and then added two more wins to claim the OAC title for the first time since 2002.

Nice coaching change.

Domino1195

Quote from: Flying Weasel on November 13, 2017, 05:49:25 PM
From 2007 to 2016, Otterbein went 7-11-0, 7-7-3, 5-10-3, 3-14-2, 5-10-2, 6-8-3, 9-9-0, 10-9-0, 8-7-3 and 8-7-3.  Otterbein hadn't qualified for an OAC tournament since 2003 despite its expansion to 6 teams in 2007.  Otterbein hadn't made the NCAA tournament since their surprising run to the Final in 2002.

This year, with a new head coach in Jason Giffiths, the Cardinals go undefeated in OAC play to not only make the conference tournament, but as the #1 seed, and then added two more wins to claim the OAC title for the first time since 2002.

Nice coaching change.

No doubt the coach made adjustments.  Some of the more important adjustments were to attitude and behavior: Otterbein was amongst the conference leaders in fouls and cards - not this year.  I believe the coach's connections to the Classic Eagles will bear fruit in future recruiting also.

But I will wait to see how this team performs next year when those 9 seniors are gone . . .

firstplaceloser

Quote from: Domino1195 on November 12, 2017, 08:59:27 AM
Quote from: FR_Sam on November 12, 2017, 01:50:32 AM
Quote from: Domino1195 on November 12, 2017, 12:46:41 AM
Nice Cap got their first ever NCAA win, but for the 4th it 5th time this year they had to play against 14. God awful officiating - even the Dominican fans I spoke to after the game agreed. Lost track of the yellows - maybe 8??? Not a very poised effort by Cap - but they persevered and grinded it out.

Cap playing against 14??? Officiating was bad all around...missed two handballs in the box against Capital, who committed 27 FOULS!!! never took a second yellow yet the Dominican coach, received a second yellow while walking away!

I did say Dominican fans I spoke with after the agreed the officiating was horrible. Capital was whistled for 27 fouls - as to whether they "committed" 27 fouls - that's another story. Another example of a CR who felt he was more important to the game than the players.

One of the alleged handling incidents came off the player's chest - yes his arm was extended away from his body and probably looked like handling - I was on the fence behind the AR looking straight in on the play. AR confirmed it was off the chest.

the entire "hand-ball" debate is a very touchy subject. I have assessors that telll me 70% of handballs are mistakenly called. by rule the player must have INTENT in order to call it. even when I ref now I have parents screaming handball EVERY chance they get. and of course they don't know the actual rule. I could go on for days about parents. I even had one go ballistic bc I didn't call offsides on a CORNER KICK! but most hand balls are not supposed to be called but it's hard when you have parents and coaches complaining nonstop. i'm huge on letting them play until they get chippy and dirty.

bestfancle

Quote from: firstplaceloser on November 14, 2017, 05:33:42 PM
the entire “hand-ball” debate is a very touchy subject. I have assessors that telll me 70% of handballs are mistakenly called. by rule the player must have INTENT in order to call it. even when I ref now I have parents screaming handball EVERY chance they get. and of course they don’t know the actual rule. I could go on for days about parents. I even had one go ballistic bc I didn’t call offsides on a CORNER KICK! but most hand balls are not supposed to be called but it’s hard when you have parents and coaches complaining nonstop. i’m huge on letting them play until they get chippy and dirty.

Not to get nit-picky, but this is probably my biggest pet peeve in soccer, and it's a common mistake at every level. The call is "offside", not "offsides".

firstplaceloser

Quote from: bestfancle on November 14, 2017, 06:49:01 PM
the entire "hand-ball" debate is a very touchy subject. I have assessors that telll me 70% of handballs are mistakenly called. by rule the player must have INTENT in order to call it. even when I ref now I have parents screaming handball EVERY chance they get. and of course they don't know the actual rule. I could go on for days about parents. I even had one go ballistic bc I didn't call offsides on a CORNER KICK! but most hand balls are not supposed to be called but it's hard when you have parents and coaches complaining nonstop. i'm huge on letting them play until they get chippy and dirty.

I honestly don't know how some refs are so bad at judging offsides. I personally think I am very good at it but that also comes with playing so much. I enjoy reffing more than playing now haha plus the money is outrageous

Not to get nit-picky, but this is probably my biggest pet peeve in soccer, and it's a common mistake at every level. The call is "offside", not "offsides".

Mr.Right

MOney is getting better and better for refs because there is such a shortage of them...

firstplaceloser

you're absolutely right, but i will admit it's VERY rare to find a good ref that knows the game more
than just by the book. it's not possible nor fair to the kids. some make it about themselves instead of letting the kids have fun. there are plenty out there that just show up for the money. I on the other hand try to help the kids and stay vocal with everyone. I started 5-6 months ago and was chosen to refNJ State Cup Finals and Semi finals. it was a great experience, and next season i will actually begin to ref D3 and Juco games. I had my license for this year but chose to coach instead.

lastguyoffthebench

Quote from: firstplaceloser on November 14, 2017, 07:53:23 PM

I honestly don't know how some refs are so bad at judging offsides. I personally think I am very good at it but that also comes with playing so much. I enjoy reffing more than playing now haha plus the money is outrageous

Worst handling call this year.... Camden vs Stockton with 28 seconds left.   You know that one all too well, firstplaceloser....

90% of officials f*ck up handling calls, and it's even worse in a two man system...

lastguyoffthebench

Quote from: firstplaceloser on November 14, 2017, 09:36:26 PM
you're absolutely right, but i will admit it's VERY rare to find a good ref that knows the game more
than just by the book. it's not possible nor fair to the kids. some make it about themselves instead of letting the kids have fun. there are plenty out there that just show up for the money. I on the other hand try to help the kids and stay vocal with everyone. I started 5-6 months ago and was chosen to refNJ State Cup Finals and Semi finals. it was a great experience, and next season i will actually begin to ref D3 and Juco games. I had my license for this year but chose to coach instead.

Being a good ref isn't by the book... You can know all the rules... Managing the players is how you manage the game... Get one or two guys on your side and you're golden.   When you miss a call, tell me... Yo', I was in a bad position, I got that one wrong.   Works wonders.

firstplaceloser

Quote from: lastguyoffthebench on November 15, 2017, 11:38:32 AM
Quote from: firstplaceloser on November 14, 2017, 07:53:23 PM

Worst handling call this year.... Camden vs Stockton with 28 seconds left.   You know that one all too well, firstplaceloser....

90% of officials f*ck up handling calls, and it's even worse in a two man system...

hahahaha oh yeah I remember that. to make that calll with 30 seconds left is BRAVE lol

Mr.Right

Thinking about it the old school 2 man system seems like it takes some time to get used to it. I would think you need a good working relationship with the other ref as it basically is like having 2 refs on the field. Meaning 2 whistles not 1. So if 1 ref is calling the game one way and the other ref another then you really have a dysfunctional game going on.

bestfancle

Attached are the award winners for the Great Lakes. Also interesting to note that Griffiths from Otterbein, was Great Lakes Men's coach of the year! Well Done!

https://unitedsoccercoaches.org/web/Awards/Recipients/2017_United_Soccer_Coaches_NCAA_Division_III_Men_s_All-Great_Lakes_Region_Teams.aspx

JCU got it's two studs in, Kenyon had about four. Otterbein did well too. Even BW had its stud, Danny Ruple, make 3rd team as a sophomore.