FB: Empire 8

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fisheralum91

And this gentlemen is exactly why we love the game and our alma maters!

Enjoy this weekends games all!

Upstate

Quote from: Cards02 on September 17, 2017, 07:12:26 PM
Quote from: Upstate on September 16, 2017, 08:49:17 PM
Fisher getting completely outclassed...

This is the softest team I've ever seen, they're completely outmatched on the offensive and defensive lines...

Their recruiting has taken a big step back along the offensive and defensive lines...

I was told a big part of why Fox left was that the entire staff was not putting in the same effort when it came to recruiting and long time members of the staff were not putting in the work they should have...

For those reasons alone it seems that Fisher let the wrong coach out the door...

Fox is super intense as a coach and very much a go getter. If he wants something out of you as a player, he will try and get it no matter how hard he has to push a player. Sometimes players don't take it well but he's not there to be your friend. He put a lot of time and effort into the Fisher program and really made the program go. After he left and the rest of the defensive staff basically left, Fisher had to fill the void of not just defensive coaches but also intensity that was lost which seems as if they haven't had it the last couple years. Keep in mind they still had a pretty good year and remains to be seen how they will fare the rest of the season. It doesn't look good right now but the program had a rough start in 15' and ended up winning 7 straight. Time will tell but it is not the Fisher teams of old.

One of the big reasons why they went on that 7 game win streak was their transition to a 4 man front.

They really need to take a close look at doing so again.

Their NT is 265 lbs and their DE's are 240 and 220.

There's no way that's holding up vs the run, there's too many natural gaps in a 3 man front for a small DL to control. I know they're not a true two gap 3 man front, they do a lot of movement and have LBers coming into gaps to help the run. However the lack of size is killing them. This past weekend the Brockport FB was bigger than EVERY member of the defensive front.

That's not normal I know but they're lacking a defensive presence on that DL.

Offensively they're a mess too.

Young QB + soft O-line = crap

They struggle to get any push on defensive fronts and can't run the ball consistently.

The O-line used to be a strength for the Cardinals year in and year out. The past few years they've really taken a step back though. Not sure if it's personnel or scheme. I get the idea of spreading teams out and creating mismatches for the passing game but that only works if you have a QB that doesn't make pre-determined throws all the time.

It's going to be a long season for sure.
The views expressed in the above post do not represent the views of St. John Fisher College, their athletic department, their coaching staff or their players. I am an over zealous antagonist that does not have any current connection to the institution I attended.

Dr. Acula

Quote from: fisheralum91 on September 19, 2017, 02:52:16 PM
And this gentlemen is exactly why we love the game and our alma maters!

Enjoy this weekends games all!

Good discussion on here as always, gents.  I liked what dlip said.  I love Mount Union and follow intently, but over the years I've just become a fan of D3 in general.  I love hopping on a video feed just to check out someone I haven't seen play in a while.  And I love scrolling through the composite schedule each week as I'm sure some of you do so you can make mental notes "Okay, that game is at 1pm and it has video so I'll watch that and the Mount game then switch to that UST game for the 2nd half..."  It's just so enjoyable to me and I feel like that attitude is shared by many on here.   

boobyhasgameyo

Quote from: dlip on September 19, 2017, 12:03:03 PM
Quote from: wesleydad on September 18, 2017, 12:01:32 PM
Quote from: fisheralum91 on September 18, 2017, 10:46:24 AM
Totally agree.
I think that the D has stepped backward since Fox left.
Most of the skill positions have been good if not great in the past, and minus the QB this year Fisher has a nice crew.  I do believe however that the line play is suspect and that is completely apparent in the lack of a rushing attack.

Fisheralum, I love reading the E8 board because of all the knowledgeable folks who post on it.  This is the most down I have ever read the Fisher folk to be.  I will throw this thought out there, most of the Fisher fans are down because the first 3 games they played this year are the games they loved having on the schedule because it would give them an idea as to where Fisher stood nationally.  With the fact that they have been thumped in all 3 games show that they are not even in the hunt in the east, forget about the national picture.  In the past Fisher would have expected to be no worse than 2-1 at this point and probably angry that they are not 3-0.  Sitting at 0-3 and not being competitive can being very humbling and it is understandable the feeling of frustration as to the current status of the team.  I hope the team has not fallen that far that they will not return to the top of the east battles, that would be a shame because it is a good program and you guys are good people.  Hang in there.

dlip totally gets it fisheralum and all he can say is just what wesleydad said, hang in there. dlip thinks SJF may have a couple surprises this season but he does agree that things haven't looked "SJF" like to start 2017. As dlip watched his Dutchmen fall from grace to a very ****ing low spot in the D3 world (not saying SJF is anywhere close to this because they are not) he initially was out of his ****ing mind angry about it. He became super negative even pulling his family from the stands at West Conn and driving home after the first quarter of a game. However dlip quickly fund that looking at things that way only hurt one person, dlip. He tried very hard (it's not easy) to flip the script and look for all the positives. He choose to just focus on his love for D3 football (which he never would have had without the Dutchmen to begin with) and find as many small positives as he could (like his tradition of watching the games with Mr. dlip, which he had been doing for 30 plus years).

Keep your head up pal and give it another try. dlip is so glad he didn't turn away from Union the way he was starting to. What would he have had then...? Just try and spread that focus farther out to the E8 and East region as a whole. Try to enjoy the litte things about the game we love and before you know it dlip bets SJF will be back into form...or make changes (if need be) to get them there. dlip loves the E8 board and all the SJF fans? Go Cardinals!

Always admired your optimism through the tough Union times, Dlip.  It's made me cheer for them and I'm happy to see they seem to be turning the corner. 

Regarding Fisher - I believe Upstate brings up a lot of solid points, especially as it relates to the 4 man front.  I want to arrange a sit down between him and Vos.  Have Upstate say it to him over and over again until the message is received.   

At this point my interests are centered around watching to see how some of the younger players develop.  Michels in particular.  He's had a rough go of it thus far, but as others have stated the O-line play has forced him to be one dimensional.  I'd love to see some improved accuracy as there have been throws available he simply hasn't made.  If he starts hitting those as the year progresses then things will certainly look more encouraging going into next year.  At least on the offensive side of the ball...   

fisheralum91

I hope that Michels gets his timing down as he settles in.
Right now as he is stuck in a tough spot with so so line play, certain things will improve with time.
As for the D?  No clue.
I have a tough time watching the new scheme.
Last year I kinda gave Keyes a pass as it was his first year...Now not so much.

If this team cant run and gun with Hartwick we are staring at a losing season...no kidding.

dlippiel

Quote from: boobyhasgameyo on September 20, 2017, 03:24:41 PM
Quote from: dlip on September 19, 2017, 12:03:03 PM
Quote from: wesleydad on September 18, 2017, 12:01:32 PM
Quote from: fisheralum91 on September 18, 2017, 10:46:24 AM
Totally agree.
I think that the D has stepped backward since Fox left.
Most of the skill positions have been good if not great in the past, and minus the QB this year Fisher has a nice crew.  I do believe however that the line play is suspect and that is completely apparent in the lack of a rushing attack.

Fisheralum, I love reading the E8 board because of all the knowledgeable folks who post on it.  This is the most down I have ever read the Fisher folk to be.  I will throw this thought out there, most of the Fisher fans are down because the first 3 games they played this year are the games they loved having on the schedule because it would give them an idea as to where Fisher stood nationally.  With the fact that they have been thumped in all 3 games show that they are not even in the hunt in the east, forget about the national picture.  In the past Fisher would have expected to be no worse than 2-1 at this point and probably angry that they are not 3-0.  Sitting at 0-3 and not being competitive can being very humbling and it is understandable the feeling of frustration as to the current status of the team.  I hope the team has not fallen that far that they will not return to the top of the east battles, that would be a shame because it is a good program and you guys are good people.  Hang in there.

dlip totally gets it fisheralum and all he can say is just what wesleydad said, hang in there. dlip thinks SJF may have a couple surprises this season but he does agree that things haven't looked "SJF" like to start 2017. As dlip watched his Dutchmen fall from grace to a very ****ing low spot in the D3 world (not saying SJF is anywhere close to this because they are not) he initially was out of his ****ing mind angry about it. He became super negative even pulling his family from the stands at West Conn and driving home after the first quarter of a game. However dlip quickly fund that looking at things that way only hurt one person, dlip. He tried very hard (it's not easy) to flip the script and look for all the positives. He choose to just focus on his love for D3 football (which he never would have had without the Dutchmen to begin with) and find as many small positives as he could (like his tradition of watching the games with Mr. dlip, which he had been doing for 30 plus years).

Keep your head up pal and give it another try. dlip is so glad he didn't turn away from Union the way he was starting to. What would he have had then...? Just try and spread that focus farther out to the E8 and East region as a whole. Try to enjoy the litte things about the game we love and before you know it dlip bets SJF will be back into form...or make changes (if need be) to get them there. dlip loves the E8 board and all the SJF fans? Go Cardinals!

Always admired your optimism through the tough Union times, Dlip.  It's made me cheer for them and I'm happy to see they seem to be turning the corner.

Regarding Fisher - I believe Upstate brings up a lot of solid points, especially as it relates to the 4 man front.  I want to arrange a sit down between him and Vos.  Have Upstate say it to him over and over again until the message is received.   

At this point my interests are centered around watching to see how some of the younger players develop.  Michels in particular.  He's had a rough go of it thus far, but as others have stated the O-line play has forced him to be one dimensional.  I'd love to see some improved accuracy as there have been throws available he simply hasn't made.  If he starts hitting those as the year progresses then things will certainly look more encouraging going into next year.  At least on the offensive side of the ball...   

Thank you for the kind words! +k

dlippiel

dlip hopes SJF has a nice bounce back game this weekend against Wick. dlip thinks it would be good for their confidence and help the Cardinals gain some positive momentum heading into the Alfred game.

saxontad

dlip, there are some of us who don't want fisher to have positive momentum going into the Alfred game 8-).

On Saxon Warriors!!!

Bartman

Quote from: saxontad on September 21, 2017, 05:13:14 PM
dlip, there are some of us who don't want fisher to have positive momentum going into the Alfred game 8-).

On Saxon Warriors!!!
dlip is Mr. Positive...we love him for it...... but the Wick could surprise a few this year ::)
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

D3viewer

2 E8 games and 3 ooc games.

Game of the week. RPI (3-0) LL @ Buff St (2-0) 12 PM.
Early start gets the party going. Long thruway drive battle. Battle of unbeatens. Early New York Bowl Game. Buff St is pretty balanced, O and D about equal, but RPI might be better on both sides of the ball. They average 245 yards per game rushing and have the 23rd ranked defense in the country. RPI uses their intellect and talent to engineer a win on the road, then grab some wings and cup style pepperoni pizza and enjoy the victory ride home.

Nichols (2-1) CCC FB @ Morrisville (1-1) 12PM.
Nichols brings a solid defense but not much offense to Mville. Mustang offense is OK. Game might be close but expect Morrisville to hold serve at home. Back home to Dudley, Bisons.

Rochester (1-1) LL @ Alfred  (2-0) 1PM
UR plays a rare back to back vs the Alfreds. Since UR barely beat A St at home I can only imagine this day will be much longer for them. AU's stout defense shuts down a poor YellowJacket offense. Back to the books boys.

SJF (0-3, 0-1) @ Hartwick (1-2, 0-1) 4PM West coast start time.
I guess SJF has to beat someone to prove they can beat someone, even though they've had a very tough slate. Hartwick has quite an advantage at QB however, and it could be the difference. Billy Pine is an experienced Captain and on paper his offense way outmatches Fisher's defense. Will it be a Perfect Storm for Fisher ? Or will Billy Pine go down with the ship ? I'll take the bait and pick Hartwick to win.

Utica (1-2, 0-1) @ Brockport (3-0, 1-0) 4PM start.
Twilight special. Joe Germinerio will use the shadows to his advantage. Brockport's dream season continues. Will it continue or will some upstart ruin their path to glory ? Utica has the defense to give Brockport some problems, but Utica's offense is a problem. They are the worst so far in the LL. I don't think they have the QB power to keep up with Brockport at any score, because Brockport's defense is also top rated in the E8.  This is the Moose's 3rd straight road game, so I'm sure they are tired of travel. Not sure why this isn't Brockport's homecoming game. It's not until Oct 23rd vs Hartwick. Blaise has no magic hat this week. Unless he can conjure up some old Fisher/Ithaca magic out there somewhere.

Bye : Cortland. Nice advantage for them to have an extra week to prepare for Brockport. Wonder if the coaches are allowed to live scout the Brockport game ?

Upstate

Quote from: D3viewer on September 21, 2017, 10:22:50 PM

Early start gets the party going. Long thruway drive battle. Battle of unbeatens. Early New York Bowl Game. Buff St is pretty balanced, O and D about equal, but RPI might be better on both sides of the ball. They average 245 yards per game rushing and have the 23rd ranked defense in the country. RPI uses their intellect and talent to engineer a win on the road, then grab some wings and cup style pepperoni pizza and enjoy the victory ride home.

Nichols brings a solid defense but not much offense to Mville. Mustang offense is OK. Game might be close but expect Morrisville to hold serve at home. Back home to Dudley, Bisons.

UR plays a rare back to back vs the Alfreds. Since UR barely beat A St at home I can only imagine this day will be much longer for them. AU's stout defense shuts down a poor YellowJacket offense. Back to the books boys.

I guess SJF has to beat someone to prove they can beat someone, even though they've had a very tough slate. Hartwick has quite an advantage at QB however, and it could be the difference. Billy Pine is an experienced Captain and on paper his offense way outmatches Fisher's defense. Will it be a Perfect Storm for Fisher ? Or will Billy Pine go down with the ship ? I'll take the bait and pick Hartwick to win.

Twilight special. Joe Germinerio will use the shadows to his advantage. Brockport's dream season continues. Will it continue or will some upstart ruin their path to glory ? Utica has the defense to give Brockport some problems, but Utica's offense is a problem. They are the worst so far in the LL. I don't think they have the QB power to keep up with Brockport at any score, because Brockport's defense is also top rated in the E8.  This is the Moose's 3rd straight road game, so I'm sure they are tired of travel. Not sure why this isn't Brockport's homecoming game. It's not until Oct 23rd vs Hartwick. Blaise has no magic hat this week. Unless he can conjure up some old Fisher/Ithaca magic out there somewhere.

Bye : Cortland. Nice advantage for them to have an extra week to prepare for Brockport. Wonder if the coaches are allowed to live scout the Brockport game ?

If Fisher doesn't get a win this weekend it could be a season where they don't get a win all year...

The views expressed in the above post do not represent the views of St. John Fisher College, their athletic department, their coaching staff or their players. I am an over zealous antagonist that does not have any current connection to the institution I attended.

fisheralum91

Quote from: Upstate on September 22, 2017, 09:51:14 AM
Quote from: D3viewer on September 21, 2017, 10:22:50 PM

If Fisher doesn't get a win this weekend it could be a season where they don't get a win all year...

I said a very similar thing---I dont see fisher goin ofer but 2-8 3-7 is real

XREDDRAGON77

Hoping the bye week pays off and the Dragons can use it to their advantage. Always hated them as a player(20 years ago)! Hoping Brockport rolls Utica rather than suffers an upset.....Don't want to see them with a chip on their shoulder next week!
Taste It!

middlerelief1

Hartwick averaging 40 a game and SJF has not scored 40 all season...

dlippiel

Quote from: middlerelief1 on September 23, 2017, 10:05:52 AM
Hartwick averaging 40 a game and SJF has not scored 40 all season...

It certainly does seem like Wick has a good shot today, dlip really likes their QB. With that being said dlip really hopes the Cardinals get the W today. Hope both teams have a solid injury free game today.