FB: New England Small College Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nescacman

Quote from: ColbyFootball on September 23, 2017, 04:10:31 PM
Williams beats Colby 24-7. The Jonathan Michaeles sh-t show continues at Colby. He should have been fired already. I'd fire over breakfast coffee tomorrow. These players and families deserve more. If you disagree you don't know sh-t about football, or coaching. Stop with the excuses already. Lack of coaching and leadership ist the problem. And the new OC s-cks as well. He had 2 winning seasons out of 10 at Catholic. That's why he got fired. Bring in some leaders and winners.

We will have some positive insights for you on the Colby coaching situation this week. Stay tuned...

lumbercat

Nesacaman
It was Cardew that got the call and he performed. Why be such a cynic?

ColbyFootball

Quote from: Nescacman on September 25, 2017, 12:32:54 AM
Quote from: ColbyFootball on September 23, 2017, 04:10:31 PM
Williams beats Colby 24-7. The Jonathan Michaeles sh-t show continues at Colby. He should have been fired already. I'd fire over breakfast coffee tomorrow. These players and families deserve more. If you disagree you don't know sh-t about football, or coaching. Stop with the excuses already. Lack of coaching and leadership ist the problem. And the new OC s-cks as well. He had 2 winning seasons out of 10 at Catholic. That's why he got fired. Bring in some leaders and winners.

We will have some positive insights for you on the Colby coaching situation this week. Stay tuned...
At this point you cannot provide any positive insights for this season. Jonathan Michaeles, and his cast of offensive coaching clowns have destroyed yet another season.

PolarCat

Quote from: Nescacman on September 25, 2017, 12:32:54 AM

Is Ken Zampese moving to Waterville?

JEFFFAN

The Amherst start is as good as a fan can expect after two games.  A little highlighted aspect to the start is that the leading tackler is a freshman, Matt Durborow. out of Seton Hall Prep in NJ.  Very, very rare to have a freshman (is that what they still call them anymore?) being the leading tackler on a strong program.

westcoastDad

Bucket,

Jim Brown was born and raised first 8 years of his life from the wonderfel state of Georgia. 

Only finished his schooling in Long Island area.  Mom was a domestic worker.  Dad only mentioned as a boxer. 

Thank goodness he was allowed to "play" sports and not be shut out because of legacies

lumbercat

Jefffan
Don't forget FY LB Holt at Tufts last year who led the league in tackles last year if you buy Tufts stats.

nescac1

According to the posted stats Jeffan, junior Andrew Sommer is the top Amherst tackler.  In all events an impressive debut.  The scariest thing about the Mammoths so far is that the vast majority of their production (outside of a senior-heavy online) on both sides of the ball has come from non-seniors.  Amherst seeems likely to peak next year ...

Meanwhile, Williams' two leading tacklers, top three receivers (by a wide margin) and QB are all frosh, which is crazy.  The fact that they can beat anyone given that is sort of amazing.  Two Williams vets have stood out: Junior DL Jameson DeMarco, who's leading the league in sacks, and Senior RB Connor Harris, who has looked sharp.  For the most part though the talent differential between new guys and returnees is fairly stark.  Of course, Williams has benefited from an extremely weak early schedule, but of the returnees, those two guys have really stood out. 

As for Colby, to me the biggest problem is lack of explosive playmakers on offense.  None of the WRs or RBs are terribly scary.  The loss of Farrell really hurt in that regard.   The Mules have a solid D, but too much pressure is placed on the defense, and the Mules seem to stuggle making big plays down the field so need to execute perfectly to sustain long drives.  Perhaps coaching is too conservative, but perhaps its also conservative at least in part for a reason ...

ColbyFootball

Quote from: nescac1 on September 25, 2017, 10:27:22 AM
As for Colby, to me the biggest problem is lack of explosive playmakers on offense.  None of the WRs or RBs are terribly scary.  The loss of Farrell really hurt in that regard.   The Mules have a solid D, but too much pressure is placed on the defense, and the Mules seem to stuggle making big plays down the field so need to execute perfectly to sustain long drives.  Perhaps coaching is too conservative, but perhaps its also conservative at least in part for a reason ...
Saying it's conservative is an understatement. And saying it may be the players is off base. Colby had a predictable anemic offense when it had stud playmakers like Hurdle-Price. It's the coaching. They are throwing WR screens to the 2 biggest and slower receivers, when they have a few really fast new guys. The only long pass I saw in 2 games was a long sideline vertical route to the backup QB who's playing slot receiver for some reason. Maybe someone gets it, but I'm at a loss.

Bucket

Quote from: westcoastDad on September 25, 2017, 08:32:55 AM
Bucket,

Jim Brown was born and raised first 8 years of his life from the wonderfel state of Georgia. 

Only finished his schooling in Long Island area.  Mom was a domestic worker.  Dad only mentioned as a boxer. 

Thank goodness he was allowed to "play" sports and not be shut out because of legacies

He moved to Long Island when he was eight years old, which was probably around 3rd grade. I wouldn't call that "finishing" his schooling...

I am an ardent supporter of colleges and universities prioritizing first-generation students and students from marginalized backgrounds.

The problem I had with the mention of Jim Brown in this string was context in explaining his lacrosse success. He had been playing lacrosse for a long time before he became an All American at Syracuse, and he had been doing so in a region that is lacrosse-mad.

It appeared to me that you were holding up Jim Brown as an example of a kid who went to Syracuse and was handed a lacrosse stick and became an All American because he was such a gifted athlete and he was provided the opportunity. In reality, he was one of the country's best lax players before stepping foot in upstate New York. I apologize if I misunderstood your point. I, too, am glad he was never prohibited at any level from excelling in his sports of choice.

amh63

"Loose end comments" as we enter the 3rd week of the first 9 game season of the Nescac.
First...." when will it be Fall weather Mom?"  It was very warm as I headed South today.
Second...Looking at the conference standings. The top 4 teams, all with 2-0 records are Amherst, Midd, Trinity and Williams.  To me, a " back to the future" standing! 
Third...quit picking on Trinity.  Their new Prez led the charge for a 9-game season...one that will crown a title winner that has played everyone.  Quit complaining about the order :)
Fourth...I was Not the oldest Amherst alum in Clinton.  Met a couple....from the Syracuse neighborhood.  Husband is a member of the Class of '54!  Hope my wife and I look as good when we reach their age.
Last....thanks to all the posters that suggested places for food and drinks in the Clinton area.  My family and I had a fun time.  Wife warned me to behave or I will be removed from the premise.  Wife and grand- daughter left for the art museum in the second half.  Hamilton had their " dancers" perform at halftime,  Nice......better than Williams pepband, imho 8-)

Nescacman

Quote from: westcoastDad on September 25, 2017, 08:32:55 AM
Bucket,

So a brief personal note on Jim Brown. He grew up on Long Island in Manhasset and played at Manhasset HS. Nescacman's father was also from Long Island (he grew up with Eph legend Renzie Lamb, also from LI, who is still a personal family friend). Nescacman's father was unlucky enough to play against JB in high school.

Of course, we all know that JB went to Syracuse and lettered in football, lax, basketball and track. Nescacman's father,, who captained the Union College Lax Team, was unlucky enough to have to face JB again since Union played Syracuse in lax back then.

Some consider JB the greatest football player ever and is a member of both the pro and the college football hall's of fame. He is also considered by some the greatest lacrosse player of all-time and is a member of the lacrosse hall of fame. Brown is also in the discussion of "GOAT" athlete's with Jim Thorpe, Bo Jackson, Dan O'Brien, etc.

westcoastDad

Bucket,

Point taken.  Your words are parallel to mine.  I was trying to convey that there may be many kids coming from challenged environments who if given a chance....could be amazing contributors. 

They may be late bloomers that are exposed even via prep schools.

JB, of course, was seeing LAX much earlier.  13 Letters in HS smh.  Would love to hear the stories from nescacman1 father who had to compete against him over 60 years ago.  Wow!

Nescacman

Our thoughts from the weekend...

1. Eph fans, don't get too excited...they have played probably the worst 2 teams in the league in weeks 1 and 2. Reality sets in this week.
2. Over/under for total wins by all 3 C-B-B Teams is 3. We'll take the under.
3. Tufts QB McDonald deserves to be mentioned in the same breath with Puzzo, Lebowitz, and Picarillo. He's basically Tufts entire offense and is a great all-around player.
4. Don't overlook Wes. With offensive POTY candidate Breuler and defensive POTY candidates Morris, Kaminski and Williams, this team will be right in the mix at the end of the year.
5. We've never seen a bigger disparity this year between the "have's and have nots".
6. Good seeing QB Foy back for the team formerly known as the LJs (albeit in limited action).
7. Will QB Lebowitz pull a Koufax and not play this week?
8. Week 3 is about as weak a slate of games as you are ever going to see in the NESCAC. Can't see any of them being much of a contest.
9. And lastly...Frank....this video's for you...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7SJdIoFCec.

Weekly Rankings coming later today...

madzillagd

Quote from: Nescacman on September 26, 2017, 04:05:58 AM
Our thoughts from the weekend...

1. Eph fans, don't get too excited...they have played probably the worst 2 teams in the league in weeks 1 and 2. Reality sets in this week.

The excitement comes from being one of the worst 2 teams in the league to beating the worst 2 teams in the league.