MBB: NESCAC

Started by cameltime, April 27, 2005, 02:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P'bearfan

Quotemaybe Purple Reign"?

Outstanding!!  +K to you.

JEFFFAN

Quote from: nescac1 on January 27, 2016, 01:01:01 PM
Oh, man WPI89 -- if Amherst went with The Purple Rain (which would be frigging awesome), and adopted Prince as their mascot, I would have to stop hating Amherst.  So hopefully they will do no such thing.

Slight variation ... The Amherst Purple Reign, with the mascot formerly known as the Jeff as the mascot?

I am 100% in with that.

madzillagd

Sac Kings already went there a few years ago...

jumpshot

Can't resist sharing ---a friend who is among the top communications consultants called me today to say he will be using the moose's chair's press release this week as an example of the worst messaging he has seen in quite a while.

Second, others may have also noticed the moose student's quote today stating the college's goal of being one of the most "progressive" institutions in higher education.

So can we add "Progressives" to the expanding list of potential monikers....?

JEFFFAN

Quote from: jumpshot on January 27, 2016, 02:09:22 PM
Can't resist sharing ---a friend who is among the top communications consultants called me today to say he will be using the moose's chair's press release this week as an example of the worst messaging he has seen in quite a while.

Second, others may have also noticed the moose student's quote today stating the college's goal of being one of the most "progressive" institutions in higher education.

So can we add "Progressives" to the expanding list of potential monikers....?

All of a sudden the discussions of a lack of a point guard seem more interesting to me right now!

Rumor of "Purple Frost" gaining momentum on campus.

nescac1

Purple Frost would be an .... interesting choice.  (If you don't catch my drift, just google it). 

JEFFFAN

Quote from: nescac1 on January 27, 2016, 03:06:55 PM
Purple Frost would be an .... interesting choice.  (If you don't catch my drift, just google it).

hah!  Never mind ..

amh63

Seems the topic of a mascot has taken over again even on my class's private blog.  My classmates that often contribute are mainly former professors, Doctors, scientists, etc. from all parts of the country are having some fun with possible mascot names. 
Since I cannot stop posters here from having fun too....I will point out a Monday article in the opinion section of the WSJ entitled "Rhodes Must Not Fall"...that will put some perspective to the recent student uprising at colleges...a somewhat sobering perspective to the overreaching PC in today's school administrations that IMO led to the Amherst mascot topic.  It also contains an example of STRONG school leadership.
It seems Oxford's sensitive students..wording from the article..demanded a Rhodes' statue to be removed.  That is Rhodes as in Rhodes Sholarships.  While American schools agreed to demands of Safe Spaces, Oxford University issued an  ultimatum demanding intellectual freedom.  The Chancellor told students to open themselves to challenging ideas or "think about being educated elsewhere."
The Chancellor CHris Patten was the last British governor of Hong Kong.
The article goes on to point out historical info on why Rhodes funded the scholarship program.  It also points out that Nelson Mandela embraced Rhodes and in 2002 established the Mandela-Rhodes Foundation that funds education for Africans....the coming together of two strands of South Affrican history.
This article also brings home the present situation at Amherst for me.  Two of the first Mandela Scholars to arrive in America to attend college came to Amherst.  Former President Marx arranged it and Nelson Mandela accepted only his Second Honorary Doctorate Degree from a US school in NYC.
Only if students of today open their minds to study history and put it in perspective instead of trying to rewrite history
Back to BB.   After yet another lost for his Blue Devil/Dukees team, Coach K thanked the Un of Miami students for chanting..."Over rated!" .  Coach K stated that he did not know Duke was ranked, Thank You!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Just a question, if the Lord Jeff was never an official mascot, how can the school actually get rid of it?  Couldn't someone just buy the costume and show up at every game?
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

nescac1

Quote from: Hoops Fan on January 27, 2016, 04:59:03 PM

Just a question, if the Lord Jeff was never an official mascot, how can the school actually get rid of it?  Couldn't someone just buy the costume and show up at every game?

Alert for Eph students: excellent trolling opportunity! 

amh63

CAC alert!  Trinity, is presently being crushed by the USMMA at Kings point, on Long Island.  With about 2 and half minutes to go, the Merchant Marine Academy is up by 20 points.  USMMA is not a very large school.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Merchant Marine held on to win by 7. USMMA is always capable of putting together a good game and even a season, but the challenges they face with schedules and demands of the school make it tough to do that all season long.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

nescac1

The Blanks murdering the Ephs at the half.  Williams needs to get an ass on guys, when too many offensive rebounds for Amherst.  Williams with its usual array of cryptic turnovers hasn't hurt, plus just generally poor shooting from everywhere.  Bobby Casey the only Eph playing really well, the Ephs need a LOT more out of Aronowitz and Scadlock in this half if they hope to make it a competitive game.  Johnny McCarthy broke out of his slump big-time for Amherst and has been all over the court on both ends.  David George has also been physically dominant against the Ephs' bigs, who are just not physical enough at this point. 

jumpshot

The moose toying with Williams tonight, up by 15 at the half. The moose clearly has more talent, skill, etc., this year as we all know.

The Ephs continue to be plagued by 8 unforced turnovers, no interior defense, giving up lots of offensive rebounds, unable to stop simple in-bounding plays, etc.

As previously stated, it will take two more effective recruiting years, ball handling improvement, off-season development, and less predictability and sole reliance on three-point shooting for the Ephs to regain competitiveness.

Lots of folks watching how this re-building process unfolds ....

iwumichigander

Williams / Amherst - Time = half. Score = ????