MBB: Commonwealth Conference

Started by Warren Thompson, March 16, 2005, 05:40:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Dougherty aka Knightstalker

Here is a story about a former LVC basketball player and Alum.
http://www.nj.com/columns/expresstimes/laubach/index.ssf?/base/columns-0/111457039058520.xml"> Quinter

(Message edited by knightstalker on April 27, 2005)

Warren Thompson

Thanks, 'stalker. We remember Todd's successes in Annville.

Tim Flynn

I miss basketball season.

Does anybody know anything about who's bringing in who?  What do folks see as individual needs for each team in the C'wealth?

Warren Thompson

Recently graduated LVC player J.D. Byers has just signed on as a graduate assistant at FDU-Florham.

hoopse8

Recently graduated Widener player Casey Stitzel has been hired as an assistant coach at division II Philadelphia University. He replaces his brother Corey, who played for Etown, and is now an assistant at Gannon College in Erie. Casey will be working with one of the most respected coaches in the country at any level in Herb Magee.

Tim Flynn

So with this new board, it begs the question - no more one-star bandit?

On a more basketball-related note, LVC's men's schedule has been released, and it looks like a doozy. They're competing in three tournaments - the home Rinso (Arcadia/Averett/Randolph-Macon), Roanoke (Ferrum/Roanoke/UMass-Dartmouth) and an absolutely brutal York tournament (York/Lincoln/Messiah). Also the usual non-conf suspects - @Ursinus, @Dickinson, F&M and Del Val @ home. Should be a fun season.

Coach C

Well good for the newly hired!

The LVC schedule looks fairly strong, but I don't know if the peppermint pattie tournament is exactly 'brutal.'

Tim Flynn

Maybe "brutal" is too strong, but you've got a Final Four team in York (28-4), Messiah is a team on the rise (19-6 last year), and Lincoln, although they lost a lot, is still pretty good. LVC obviously will look a lot different, but I don't know you could get a more entertaining tournament out of four east-central Pa. teams unless you toss F&M or Albright into the mix.

Coach C

Tim,

I am not so sure. The Peppermint Patties graduated 3 starters and another serious contributor, representing half of their offense.  Messiah graduated 3 starters including the point guard, so i am not sure about them being on the rise.  Lincoln, well who knows, they are Lincoln.  I will give you that it looks like a good tournament in August, but gosh, it's AUGUST!

Tim Flynn

Hey, I gotta have SOMETHING to look forward to, even if it's just all in my head.

diplomaniac1

Tim -

Amen! There are some of us Centennial Conference Fans who feel exactly the same way that you do!

Bring on the season now!

Eric

Coach C

dip -

some places the season starts earlier than others!

C

diehardfan

ohhh.... Warren, thanks for the info on JD... good for him!  :D

As much as I like the team aspects of basketball, I am really going to miss the individual performances of guys like JD, Jon Nielson, Jason Kalsow, and Chris Martin... guys that were just a joy to watch play.  :'(

So, I'm curious... are there any up and coming guys in the conference that I should be keeping my eye on?
Wait, dunks are only worth two points?!?!!!? Why does anyone do them? - diehardfan
What are Parkers now supposed to chant after every NP vs WC game, "Let's go enjoy tobacco products off-campus? - Gregory Sager
We all read it, but we don't take anything you say seriously - Luke Kasten

RIP WheatonC

Tim Flynn

I don't know if Trevor Deeter still qualifies as an "up and comer" (I don't think so) but he is probably my favorite guy left to watch in the conference. Matt Kieselowsky also comes to mind from Albright as someone I always enjoyed seeing play. Widener's Essien Ford is also a fun guy to watch.

From LVC, I think Jimmy Curran is an outstanding guard who can make some great shots from the outside, and Billy Orr will be someone to watch out for in the post, just because his on-court work ethic seems to be so above and beyond everyone else on the court when he's out there.

diehardfan

Thanks Tim... I definitely like Jimmy... he's a keeper. Plus his name is Jimmy, and ask any CCIWer, that's a special first name for me.  :D
Wait, dunks are only worth two points?!?!!!? Why does anyone do them? - diehardfan
What are Parkers now supposed to chant after every NP vs WC game, "Let's go enjoy tobacco products off-campus? - Gregory Sager
We all read it, but we don't take anything you say seriously - Luke Kasten

RIP WheatonC