MBB: Great Northeast Athletic Conference

Started by Hoops Fan, December 17, 2004, 12:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D3HoopJunkie

Not sure why LilDave,

Will try to get more information on his decision. I would have to say that the JUCO talent and overall depth at the guard position perhaps greatly altered his decison. That story was pretty awesome.

If he can go somewhere else and can contribute right away, then good for him. 

lildave678

Darius gets some love and makes the Honorable Mention for the d3hoops preseason All-American list. Think it's safe to say if he played anywhere but the GNAC he'd be higher on the list. Good to see him on it at least though!

link: http://d3hoops.com/awards/all-americans/men/preseason-2014

D3HoopJunkie

Finally some love. No question that if he was in another conference he would be up higher on the list. With that being said it still an awesome achievement.

I think we are going to start seeing more and more love for Albertus as the team continues to have success year in and year out. To think Ray Askew wasn't named a preseason All-American going into his senior year and then finished as a 2nd teamer. I think we can expect the same thing out of Darius this year.

D3HoopJunkie

Albertus traveled to #9 ranked WPI for a scrimmage this morning and handed the Engineers a loss. I know it was just a scrimmage but WPI has been one of the best and most consistent programs in the Northeast over the last few seasons and to have the opportunity to scrimmage such a great program and come away with a victory should only boost the confidence of this Falcons squad.

lildave678

That's awesome D3HJ! Any specifics on how the game went, or just hear the score?

lildave678

If anyone is interested, there are a bunch of ASA College games on youtube from the last season (Where Davis and Ljuljdjuraj played). I know in the one I've watched so far, Ljuljdjuraj is listed as #45 in the description but he's #40 in game.

EDIT: Watched a second game and he was #45

officer cadet

My prediction Norwich 13-14 season. 
Starting five
PG  Nickolai Havoutis  Sr  Experience,Steady PG
SG  Tom McDonald    Sr     Best 3pts shooter,I exepect he over 15 pts Avg.
G/F  Alex Preckol   So        Great team defender ,good feel for game.
F    Evan Tullar      Jr         Long,Athletic Foward.Could be breakout this yaer. Potentially he make all conference team(2nd team ) after end of the season.
F    Jay Vinci          So       Actually,he didn't play last season.But he could be contribute to team(Defensively,Rebound) right way.

First came off the Bench
SG   Jimmy Warden  So  Hard nosed player.
F     Grant Brown      Fr   he bring depth on frontcourt rotation.
G/F  Gary Gladden    So  He can play multiple position.

Lost 3 contributers(2 starters ,a backup PF) But Returning 3 starters and 3 key role players from last seson squad.
add to some impact incomingclass.(Vinci,Brown etc.. ) but I think rebuild yaer for this year Cadets.
We Don't have Talented/Big man like Former NU F/C Antonio Davis 11' so ,Cadets would be struggle around basket on offense/defense.

Athletics department hired new Assistant coach from Boston Metropolitan area who served coaching solid AAU program there.

lildave678

Wonder if Albertus will post a roster before Christmas!  ??? ???

And no surprise here - Albertus picked to finish first in the GNAC Preseason Poll:

http://thegnac.com/sports/mbkb/2013-14/releases/20131113odwg77

D3HoopJunkie

I think we are all waiting for a roster LilDave. I would say a more accurate date would be New Years at this rate. 

I always got a kick out of coaches holding out because they don't want other teams knowing who they have or what size they have. WHO CARES!!! Especially at this level, all these players talk on social media and everything else. If someone wanted to really find out who a team has, they could.

Just saw the pre-season coach's poll and not surprised at all by the results. Just to throw my opinion out there, if I were voting I would have Johnson and Whales ahead of St Joes. I understand the returners and leadership coming back for St Joes is huge but if you look at the two teams I think that JWU is much more athletic and returns IMO one of the best young players in the GNAC with Quarry Greenway.

24 Hours till Tip-Off.....Gonna be a great season in GNAC and D3Hoops

jamiejohn

JWU also has Franklin Pierce transfer Matt Barboza.

lildave678

ROSTER IS OUT! ITS LIKE CHRISTMAS!!!

See that Ryan Spears from Wilby is on the squad. Not sure how much PT he'll see but he is a hard worker who's on ball defense is awesome. Very smart with the ball, doesn't make too many mistakes. Much more of a pure point than the hybrids who can score that AMC is used to. I could see him playing a Jimmy Eco like role (minus the jumper), especially defensively if he stays and grows as a player.

D3HoopJunkie

I love the talent of this year squad between the JUCO transfers and incoming freshman. Along with what we had already returning, this team is going to be an absolute force. I think when it is all said and done we are going to look back at the end of this season and say this was the best team that Albertus has ever had.

As long as they listen to Coach Oliver and play as a team and listen to each other out on the court, this is going to be a fun year.

5:30 game time, I will put my postgame thoughts up tonight once I return home. Go Falcons!!

lildave678

and of course there's a NHRegister article talking about how this might be a rebuilding year!

http://www.nhregister.com/sports/20131114/albertus-magnus-may-be-in-rebuilding-mode

marketherrien

A cheap plug if you will -

The Worcester Area College Basketball (coaches) Association revived its awards program last year and, for the second consecutive year, is  complimented with a Twitter account - @WACBAHoops https://twitter.com/wacbahoops

The feed features daily news, scores, recaps and more for all nine NCAA men's and women's basketball programs in Worcester County: Anna Maria, Assumption (DII), Becker, Clark, Fitchburg State, Holy Cross (DI), Nichols, WPI and Worcester State.

Matt Noonan (@NoontimeSports), as heard on Hoopsville, selects the weekly men's and women's players of the week and an honor roll for each gender. Along with the weekly release there will be standings and statistical leaders for points, rebounds and assists. Both will are slated to be released on Monday afternoons.

D3HoopJunkie

The registers coverage of this team over the past 5 years has been a joke. They deserve so much more credit then what they get from the media. I realize they are a small D3 team but this is the NewHaven Register and they should cover Albertus more being there from NewHaven and have become one of the most consistent teams in D3 basketball.

I love how Oliver plays it off like its a rebuilding year to. The guy never stops coaching LOL. He knows what he has an how good they will be. Maybe the register will cover them more once they realize they were wrong