FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wally_wabash

Quote from: CNU85 on September 14, 2018, 03:02:38 PM
Quote from: jknezek on September 14, 2018, 02:05:24 PM
Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on September 14, 2018, 01:56:38 PM
HSC will go 21 days between games; that cannot bode well for the remainder of the season, I don't think. Like starting all over again and the first game is usually not so pretty.

For all those ODAC teams playing, good luck.

Well... at least you will get healthy. But I agree. That is not a good situation. It's one of the reasons I hate the BCS Bowl System. Let's have conference titles 3 weeks before the last important games! Stupid.

Exactly why I don't watch BCS ball. They don't decide the champion based on a true playoff system and on the field. 4 teams does not make a playoff. go through the grind of game preps every week for several weeks and earn it rather than have a computer and some votes put you in the final 4.

I don't think the four team playoff is perfect and the layoff between games is dumb, but--
1) it is better than the BCS,
2) it is going to be the gateway to an actual tournament, and
3) the games are still good.  I mean, if you didn't like OU/UGA at the Rose Bowl last year, you just don't like college football. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

HSCTiger fan

The rumor from HSC is they will play Methodist next weekend IF they are able to have classes resume by Tuesday.
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

tigerFanAlso2

I love D1 football, not in love with playoff system but better than it once was. D3 offers a 32 team field but only 4 to 8 teams have a chance to win.
Not sure if all of that is a waste of time or not but at least the 32 team field offers an opportunity to play one or two more games. Back in the day 8 teams went to d3 playoffs, two from each region and it has been expanded from there to where it now is.

tigerFanAlso2

not heard anything about HSC vs. Methodist. Time will tell. that would be better than having a 21 day break between games

Generals98

Maryville Vs W&L Game has been cancelled!

Jeremybozz

Hobart 56,Shenandoah 48

Bauserman with 471 passing yards and 6 TD's and No Int's.

pumkinattack

Well the last play was a pick but they're protecting his stats by calling it a fumble.

We played two down lineman for three quarters. Went to more 3 & 4 down lineman and they stalled out late in third and fourth.  Both defenses were atrocious.  Hobart can at least excuse having lost at least four starters as non graduates from last year for other reasons (transfer, quitting/thrown off team, career ending injuries).  Not sure Shenendoahs excuse against a new starting QB and four underclass new starters on the Ol.

Has to be interesting for Kevin and Scott to face off as close college friends who then stayed and worked together for a decade.  Both were even better lacrosse players than FB (Kevin only played on one year of football).

hasanova

Quote from: pumkinattack on September 15, 2018, 10:39:08 PM
Well the last play was a pick but they're protecting his stats by calling it a fumble.

We played two down lineman for three quarters. Went to more 3 & 4 down lineman and they stalled out late in third and fourth.  Both defenses were atrocious.  Hobart can at least excuse having lost at least four starters as non graduates from last year for other reasons (transfer, quitting/thrown off team, career ending injuries).  Not sure Shenendoahs excuse against a new starting QB and four underclass new starters on the Ol.

Has to be interesting for Kevin and Scott to face off as close college friends who then stayed and worked together for a decade.  Both were even better lacrosse players than FB (Kevin only played on one year of football).
I'd hope the scorekeeping staff is too ethical to do that.  I personally wouldn't want a record if I hadn't earned it.  The ODAC can review the tape ... records have to mean something.  Right, Barry Bonds?

pumkinattack

Last play pass is into kids hands/chest and he's blasted before even one step is taken ball pops from body into air and Bryan aguilar catches it.  They call it a catch and fumble but there's no way that was a legal catch by any modern definition or standard.  Shen announcer called it INT until they changed it on the stats.   Hobart announcers were talking INT in aftergame.  My eyes saw a ball barely get into receivers body at point of jarring hit and immediately bounce out.

Stats were wonky all night.  As were spots.  The chain group moved their chain numerous times before any signal for a first down and often even when the ashen announcers bought they were short.    It's D3 and it's a non conference game.  And recruiting is all about hype and juice so why not protect their most decorated player in forever by pumping his stats.  I only wish our home crews were half as accomodating.

There were some huge plays which can be fun but as a defensive guy I hated it.  This is easily the worst defensive group I've seen at Hobart since I played (graduated one year into the millennia). 

jknezek

Quote from: pumkinattack on September 16, 2018, 07:58:09 AM
Last play pass is into kids hands/chest and he's blasted before even one step is taken ball pops from body into air and Bryan aguilar catches it.  They call it a catch and fumble but there's no way that was a legal catch by any modern definition or standard.  Shen announcer called it INT until they changed it on the stats.   Hobart announcers were talking INT in aftergame.  My eyes saw a ball barely get into receivers body at point of jarring hit and immediately bounce out.

Stats were wonky all night.  As were spots.  The chain group moved their chain numerous times before any signal for a first down and often even when the ashen announcers bought they were short.    It's D3 and it's a non conference game.  And recruiting is all about hype and juice so why not protect their most decorated player in forever by pumping his stats.  I only wish our home crews were half as accomodating.

I tuned it at various times and saw the typical Shenandoah Home Cooking. In my opinion, it ranks right up there with going to E&H. You are guaranteed to get phantom penalties, ridiculous spots, chain screw ups, clock running when it should stop if they are ahead and vice versa when behind. At one point last night, the refs marked off 20 yards on a 15 yard penalty. If you go there, you just expect it. I'm not sure how refs are assigned in the ODAC, but Shenandoah has always gotten a lot of help at home.

Once Hobart started playing a normal defensive line and stopping the run game in the second half while still covering Shenandoah fell off significantly. They don't run the ball well since Delaney left, but if you have no d lineman, a pee wee team will run on you. For the Hornets, it's a shame Delaney overlapped with Bauserman's first 2 years. If it was the second two it would be different. But last year you could rush 3 and if you had a decent athletic nickel or dime or big coverage package you could slow them down. Rushing 2 just allowed even the Hornets to run the ball. Since the defense has been swiss cheese, they are beatable by a team that can run with the receivers. Bauserman is fantastic, but if he doesn't have anywhere to go, it doesn't matter.

Hobart figured it out in the second half. Not sure what they were doing in the first half. Seemed like they thought dropping everyone was important, almost like they thought Shenandoah's coaching staff was too stupid to realize they only had 2 d lineman. Once they switched, even the home cooking wasn't enough.

HSCTiger fan

I would assume Methodist HSC game is off as MU students cannot return until this Thursday at earliest and it plainly states on their website that all athletic events are cancelled.

I've been watching D3 football for 9 seasons. ALL the spots seem to be placed on the nearest yard line. Watch closely, ball is seldom if ever, placed on the half of any yard line unless it's inside the 10. Then the refs think they have to spot to the nearest centimeter.  HSC has seen poor officials in first two games as well. A BS roughing the punter, an unbelievably generous 3rd and long spot that gave CNU a first down, and a horrible pass interference call are three that come to mind from last week.

Do ODAC officials work HS games?  Not that HS officials are bad just curious if anyone knows.
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

y_jack_lok

Not that it matters, but what was the weather like at SU yesterday?

Regarding the officials, my guess is that they do only college, but are not limited to ODAC games. Probably USASAC as well. Who knows, officials  from yesterday might do CAC. I suspect where the refs live and where the games are has a lot to do with the assignments.

onceamink

Quote from: y_jack_lok on September 16, 2018, 05:33:57 PM
Not that it matters, but what was the weather like at SU yesterday?

Regarding the officials, my guess is that they do only college, but are not limited to ODAC games. Probably USASAC as well. Who knows, officials  from yesterday might do CAC. I suspect where the refs live and where the games are has a lot to do with the assignments.

I would go the other way and suspect that they work HS games to pick up the extra money.  Most officials do multiple sports (seasons) and multiple levels.  There was a DI/DIII/HS lacrosse ref who was also a top ACC basketball ref.  Just not that many officials to go around.  Given the the number of DIA /DIAA/DII games around the country each week these officials are probably a bit down the food chain, but who knows.  Travel is a definite influence on assignment.

The spotting to the nearest yard has been going on for years, I think it is to speed up the game by reducing measurements.  I don't think anyone in the ODAC is happy with the officials.

Jeremybozz

W&L tied for 44th with 2 vote points in D3 Football Top 25 poll.

jknezek

Quote from: Jeremybozz on September 16, 2018, 08:36:14 PM
W&L tied for 44th with 2 vote points in D3 Football Top 25 poll.

They've had the same couple votes since the preseason. Thinking one voter has them on the ballot at 24. The RMC game in 2 weeks will be big for the Generals. That seems to he the toughest game season in and out for the offense.