MBB: University Athletic Association

Started by Allen M. Karon, February 21, 2005, 08:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordonmann

Bet I can guess who was first without looking!

[Guesses Williams...looks]

Yep! :)

magicman

MSN has reported that 2 students that went to Emory College were killed in the terrorist attack that occurred yesterday in Bangladesh. Here is a link to the story.  http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/20-foreigners-killed-in-dhaka-restaurant-terror-attack/ar-AAhTEB7?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=DELLDH

WUPHF

A terrible, terrible tragedy but worth mentioning: reportedly one of the Emory students was killed was initially released because he was from Bangladesh but he refused to leave until his friends were released.

magicman

Quote from: WUH on July 03, 2016, 02:46:18 PM
A terrible, terrible tragedy but worth mentioning: reportedly one of the Emory students was killed was initially released because he was from Bangladesh but he refused to leave until his friends were released.

That student was a very brave person if that was the case. It's sad that the nations of the world don't unite and do something about the evil that ISIS continues to perpetrate around the world. How many more terrorist attacks, suicide bombers and wholesale killing of civilians, including women and children will it take until the world leaders decide on a way to deal with this. On Sunday another 125 people killed in an attack in Baghdad which ISIS claimed was their handiwork. The United Nations Organization seem like it's more inept than its ever been.   

hopefan

Note from my Alaska vaca, first day. UAA seen on sweatshirts NOT for University Athletic Association, rather for University of Alaska, Anchorage, the Seawolves. 
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: hopefan on July 29, 2016, 09:45:51 AM
Note from my Alaska vaca, first day. UAA seen on sweatshirts NOT for University Athletic Association, rather for University of Alaska, Anchorage, the Seawolves.

Division II WBB runner ups this past season. Saw the same when I visited Anchorage five years ago... but I didn't expect to see UAA schools.  ;D
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

WUPHF

Dave: what is your take on the hiring of Todd McGuinness by Case Western Reserve?

http://athletics.case.edu/sports/mbkb/index

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I think it is a great hire. I am somewhat disappointed my alma mater didn't take the opportunity to hire him last year (though, their hire should do a very good job as well). I think Todd is a determined coach who did a lot at Hartwick despite the challenges and now enters a much more difficult conference ready to surprised. I think he will have challenges at CWR, but it isn't like he doesn't know those challenges - he's is a former assistant coach. I think CWR is in good hands, but it will take a few years for Todd to get things truly humming... maybe (heard he might already have a few transfers coming, but not confirmed).
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

WUPHF

Thanks Dave...your opinion is always appreciated.

WUPHF

Washington University Men's Basketball Opens Season with Exhibition Game at Illinois
http://bearsports.wustl.edu/sports/mbkb/2016-17/releases/20160816hmm8vl

I had heard that another game or two were due to be added to the schedule, but I did not expect to see this, though if Washington University were ever to schedule a Division I team, Illinois would be the team given the Josh Whitman connection.

I talked at length about the Bears front court and how they would be the class of the UAA in 2016-2017 provided that everyone is back and healthy.  I am not sure I can call this a good test, but let's call it a good experience.

David Schmelter, Andrew Sanders, Matt Highsmith and the x-factor Marcus Meyer.  I cannot wait for the season to start.

WUPHF

Incidentally, Andrew Sanders went to Europe to play with a team of Division I players: http://bearsports.wustl.edu/sports/mbkb/2016-17/releases/20160805druieg

hopefan

WUH... any idea on incoming freshmen?   No writeup yet, no frosh on the roster... wondering if it was a really good or really bad group and Coach is just staying mum....

More 'big' non conference games on the road than at home, but the game with IWU is always huge....

As you say, lots of size, but I worry about depth at guard.... Kucera is SO critical....
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

WUPHF

There are a few freshmen coming in that could make a difference for Washington University.

Coach Edwards is turning yet again to Saint Louis University High School and Maine South for players.

Matt Nester is the Junior Bill and one of only nine players in program history to score 1,000 points.  Key to a deep postseason run that finally ended when they played Chaminade in the Final Four.  Pure shooter.

Jon Arenas hails from Park Ridge, having graduated from the same high school as Matt Palucki.  Arenas is a shooting guard who played point guard last season.  Palucki was versatile playing two positions...might Arenas do the same?

Not sure about others...I currently know no undergrads with insider knowledge though I have a few more names that I can post tomorrow.

Depth at the point guard is the big question.

Kevin Kucera averaged 32 minutes per game last season which is slightly more than Sean Wallis, Alan Aboona, and David Fatoki averaged in their final seasons, if I remember correctly.  Kucera is absolutely critical, but last season he proved that he clearly knows the system, played under control and could run all night with the quickest guards in the league.

Peter Rankowitz offered solid minutes at the PG, but his potential is unknown to me...and he was injured for most of last season.

Matt Galik was a point guard who did nothing but win in his rural high school program, though I am not sure if he gets time this season.

Experience was a big factor last season...the team could not close out games.  Only one returning starter...another reserve who averaged less than 15 minutes per game.  They looked terrible against Illinois Wesleyan but then almost knocked off Augustana after holding the lead for large parts of the second.  Of the 10 losses, 6 were by three points or less.

I have high hopes for this season.  Just my novice opinion, but I think Jake Knupp will have an all-conference season...maybe the best defender in the league.  I have always been high on Michael Bregman.  I hope he returns.  Clinton Hooks!  Best coach in the league...

I am going to say that the Bears will be favored to win the league or maybe a close second.  I have to think about Rochester a little.

WUPHF

The floor at the Field House has been covered in plywood in preparation for the debate next week: https://www.instagram.com/p/BK51lTiBn7_/

No pre-debate shoot around for the candidates...

Questions for the debate will be chosen in part from https://presidentialopenquestions.com/

I think I'll ask: how many wins over CCIW teams will Washington University and UChicago score this year?  Looks like a mere five games on the schedule between both teams.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: WUH on September 28, 2016, 11:18:27 AM
The floor at the Field House has been covered in plywood in preparation for the debate next week: https://www.instagram.com/p/BK51lTiBn7_/

No pre-debate shoot around for the candidates...

Questions for the debate will be chosen in part from https://presidentialopenquestions.com/

I think I'll ask: how many wins over CCIW teams will Washington University and UChicago score this year?  Looks like a mere five games on the schedule between both teams.

Better yet... will the addition of two Pool C bids in the upcoming tournament allow the CCIW or UAA to get an extra team into the tournament? And how do you feel the SOS of Wash U will influence how Mark Edwards coaches the team this season?