Coolest Gym in each Conference

Started by Smitty Oom, March 16, 2016, 12:11:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllStar

Quote from: 7express on March 21, 2016, 03:20:20 PM
In the LEC I like Keene (Spaulding gymnasium), Western Connecticut (Feldman Arena) and RIC (Murray Center).

Western & RIC gain points by having back rest seats throughout the arena, but Western loses points for not pulling out the bleachers behind the basket, not having a big student support section like Keene & RIC do AND this year removing a side of seats.  I'd rank Spaulding 1, Murray 2 and Feldman 3.

Not to be a homer, but I agree with your three picks.   ;D

Smitty Oom

A list of the gyms so far:

CCC - Rodgers Recreation Center (Salve Regina)
HCAC - Collier Arena (Hanover)
LEC - Spaulding Gymnasium (Keene)
MIAA - DeVos Field House (Hope)
   ** Calvin is Honorable Mention
MIAC - Hutton Arena (Hamline)
   ** Concordia M'head is Honorable Mention
NCAC - Tomsich Arena (Kenyon)
NESCAC - Alumni Gymnasium (Bates)
   ** Tufts is Honorable Mention
OAC - Rike Center (Otterbien)
SLIAC - Westminister College Gymnasium (Name?) (Westminster)
UAA - Ratner Center (University of Chicago)
   ** Washington University is Honorable Mention
UMAC - Ericksen Center (Northwestern)

Feel free to debate these but I was trying to organize what has already been said. Love looking up these d3 gyms!

Fifth and Putnam

Somebody mentioned Hanover's gym out in the HCAC...I personally really enjoy both Anderson's O.C. Lewis Gymnasium with Rose Hulman's Hulbert Arena a close 2nd.

bballfan13

Quote from: Smitty Oom on March 22, 2016, 10:17:56 AM

Feel free to debate these but I was trying to organize what has already been said. Love looking up these d3 gyms!

Not sure where you got Hope ranked top in the MIAA and Calvin being "honorable mention" from the previous posts.  I'm guessing that would be highly debated.

Flying Dutch Fan

Quote from: bballfan13 on March 23, 2016, 12:38:25 PM

Not sure where you got Hope ranked top in the MIAA and Calvin being "honorable mention" from the previous posts.  I'm guessing that would be highly debated.

Argue - us???  They are truly very different.  One is a building created specifically for basketball  (DeVos) while the other is a large, multi-purpose arena (Van Noord) that happens to host basketball.  Many of the posters who support that school with the multi-purpose building have actually agreed that as a basketball location, DeVos is better.
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

HOPEful

Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on March 24, 2016, 08:03:47 AM
Argue - us???  They are truly very different.  One is a building created specifically for basketball  (DeVos) while the other is a large, multi-purpose arena (Van Noord) that happens to host basketball.  Many of the posters who support that school with the multi-purpose building have actually agreed that as a basketball location, DeVos is better.

Agreed. Van Noord functions much better as an event space than DeVos. For basketball, if you can get into the lower bowl to watch, it is very nice and their supporters will boast about their special lighting. However, any seat above the lower bowl is, in my opinion, too far away from the action.
Let's go Dutchmen!

2015-2016 1-&-Done Tournament Fantasy League Co-Champion

bballfan13

Quote from: HOPEful on March 24, 2016, 12:43:56 PM

Agreed. Van Noord functions much better as an event space than DeVos. For basketball, if you can get into the lower bowl to watch, it is very nice and their supporters will boast about their special lighting. However, any seat above the lower bowl is, in my opinion, too far away from the action.

I see your points, but don't agree with all of them  ;)  The lighting at Van Noord I believe is a difference maker in terms of look and feel of a professional basketball arena.  Also the Van Noord gives the overall impression and feel of a professional arena (suite, second tier, etc).  Yes it was designed with other events in mind as well but I believe it sets up very nicely for a basketball game no matter where you sit.

As much as it pains me to say anything nice about Hope / Devos, I do think it is a great basketball facility and yes was designed with basketball being it's sole purpose.  The biggest complaint I have against it is the natural light from too many windows for day games.  It reflects on the court and I don't think that is a good thing.  Other gyms have these issues as well, University of Chicago (has a big curtain though) and Illinois Institute of Technology (hot box in there in the sun and reflections are terrible).  But I wonder if they had to do it again if they would keep those windows in there.

And to be nit picky here are a few other things I don't like but they are very minor.  Curious to hear Hope posters thoughts. 
1. The AV room in the corner has a terrible layout as the people have to look out an awkward side window to view the court. Poorly planned I think.
2. The stands are packed in around the court (closer than most gyms). I might not like how close the students are but that was Hope's decision and it might give them an advantage, so that was smart in my opinion.  But the thing I think looks sloppy is they got so close that around the corner endzone the "H" and "E" for "Hope College" gets cuts off by the bleachers.  Bad planning?
3. The visitors don't have an exit to their locker without running in front of Hope's bench.  Can't even walk behind because the stands are right there. Just annoying as a visitor.

Now please bring on the Van Noord annoyance's as I'm sure there are plenty (some already have been stated).

I do think we are splitting hairs...but that's what we're supposed to do in the offseason right  :)

And obviously we are spoiled here in West Michigan by having both of these facilities so close.

joehakes

Quote from: bballfan13 on March 24, 2016, 04:30:50 PM

I see your points, but don't agree with all of them  ;)  The lighting at Van Noord I believe is a difference maker in terms of look and feel of a professional basketball arena.  Also the Van Noord gives the overall impression and feel of a professional arena (suite, second tier, etc).  Yes it was designed with other events in mind as well but I believe it sets up very nicely for a basketball game no matter where you sit.

As much as it pains me to say anything nice about Hope / Devos, I do think it is a great basketball facility and yes was designed with basketball being it's sole purpose.  The biggest complaint I have against it is the natural light from too many windows for day games.  It reflects on the court and I don't think that is a good thing.  Other gyms have these issues as well, University of Chicago (has a big curtain though) and Illinois Institute of Technology (hot box in there in the sun and reflections are terrible).  But I wonder if they had to do it again if they would keep those windows in there.

And to be nit picky here are a few other things I don't like but they are very minor.  Curious to hear Hope posters thoughts. 
1. The AV room in the corner has a terrible layout as the people have to look out an awkward side window to view the court. Poorly planned I think.
2. The stands are packed in around the court (closer than most gyms). I might not like how close the students are but that was Hope's decision and it might give them an advantage, so that was smart in my opinion.  But the thing I think looks sloppy is they got so close that around the corner endzone the "H" and "E" for "Hope College" gets cuts off by the bleachers.  Bad planning?
3. The visitors don't have an exit to their locker without running in front of Hope's bench.  Can't even walk behind because the stands are right there. Just annoying as a visitor.

Now please bring on the Van Noord annoyance's as I'm sure there are plenty (some already have been stated).

I do think we are splitting hairs...but that's what we're supposed to do in the offseason right  :)

And obviously we are spoiled here in West Michigan by having both of these facilities so close.

Illinois Tech's gym is definitely a hotbox and you are right about the fact that when we get the chance to build another one we wouldn't have it be the "all windows" approach.  The Keating Sports Center is almost 50 years old and was built on a campus that revered Mies Vander Rohe's mantra of "Less is More."  I would have never thought that our gym would be mentioned on a page that celebrates the coolest gyms.  No matter how you define cool, we are probably not it.  But down the road....

sac

Quote from: bballfan13 on March 24, 2016, 04:30:50 PM

Kresge Gymnasium has none of those problems.  Built c1925. :)

AO

Quote from: joehakes on March 25, 2016, 10:25:33 AM
Illinois Tech's gym is definitely a hotbox and you are right about the fact that when we get the chance to build another one we wouldn't have it be the "all windows" approach.  The Keating Sports Center is almost 50 years old and was built on a campus that revered Mies Vander Rohe's mantra of "Less is More."  I would have never thought that our gym would be mentioned on a page that celebrates the coolest gyms.  No matter how you define cool, we are probably not it.  But down the road....
Looks pretty cool to me.  What's the ratio of day/night games typically?  As long as the sun doesn't get in your eye when you're shooting I don't think it'd be too big of a deal.

Illinois Tech's Keating Sports Center:

360 View

Smitty Oom

I really like that gym! Not a whole lot of seating but very unique and definitely think it deserves a nomination on here.

joehakes

Quote from: AO on March 25, 2016, 12:04:13 PM
Quote from: joehakes on March 25, 2016, 10:25:33 AM
Looks pretty cool to me.  What's the ratio of day/night games typically?  As long as the sun doesn't get in your eye when you're shooting I don't think it'd be too big of a deal.

Illinois Tech's Keating Sports Center:

360 View

We take good pictures here. ;D We do play several Saturday or Sunday afternoon games, along with try-matches in volleyball.  The glare makes it very hard to see the lines on the floor but it is an interesting building.  Late in the afternoon when an L train goes by, the shadow runs across the floor almost life sized.  It's fun to watch an opposing team see that for the first time.  Good distraction if we can make use of it.  The sun does play a factor at times.

joehakes

Quote from: Smitty Oom on March 25, 2016, 12:13:23 PM
I really like that gym! Not a whole lot of seating but very unique and definitely think it deserves a nomination on here.

You are right that it is unique.  Originally there was more seating in here, but when the wooden bleachers were replaced several years ago the seating was reduced.  There used to be an NBA pro-am league that played here in the summers and they would jam a couple of thousand in here.  More without seats than with, but having Michael Jordan and his friends here probably made that no issue.

The lights in the gyms will be changed to LED fixtures this summer which will be power by direct current from solar panels which cover the roof. 

We promise to build an even cooler one when we get the chance, but thanks for the nomination!

WUPHF

It was known as the Westminster College Gymnasium, but that name was changed to the Westminster Historic Gymnasium.  I forgot to mention earlier, but Henry Iba played basketball at Westminster and the floor is named in his honor.

Ronald Reagan did not play basketball though the gymnasium at Eureka College has a history as well.

I reference the histories of the gyms though architecture and ability to foster an atmosphere are certainly more important in my mind.  History is part of what makes a gym cool though.  I'll be back to argue for the Field House on October 9th when Washington University hosts its third Presidential debate on the Edwards-Fahey court.  Also, no other gym in the UAA has hosted an NBA game.

hopefan

I wasn't going to venture an answer to this question, because so many gyms are 'cool' for different reasons...

BUT... here is a question to research during the offseason...

Which gym in each conference is the oldest... the longest in use?  This would lead to finding out the oldest D3 gym in the country.. it may be common knowledge, but I don't know the answer.. plus, it would be interesting to find out  the oldest per conference....
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!