Top 25 talk

Started by Lurker, March 23, 2005, 09:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Mackenzie

Calvin hasn't seen the need to hang any banners that say "we're #2".

Pat Coleman

Johnny,

I'm really not concerned. I'll defend the poll when it's right and I'll be candid when I think it's wrong. These are rankings, not standings, and even though one game here or there might contradict the rankings, I feel VERY confident, as a neutral observer, that Calvin was the better team this season.

I voted that way. So did others. It wasn't that difficult a decision for an unbiased participant. But it wasn't at #2 and #3 on my ballot, it was at #5 and #6, behind Trinity, Hanover and Illinois Wesleyan.

bamm

Not that anyone is going to be happy that I'm continuing this charade, but I feel like adding my two cents.  As a Rochester native and someone who saw UR play several times this year I simply don't believe they are a top ten team.  I'm not even sure they are top 15.

They put together a great run at the end of the season, played some very good defense, and overachieved.  They should be proud of their season.  Considering who they lost --  two top-notch interior players (Jones, Larkin) -- I was surprised at their success.  Simply put, they are overranked, not underranked.

not josh reed

So Bamm, whats your take on #16 Potsdam and # 17 Fisher?  Do you agree with their final ranking?  I did see the game in Amherst and was impressed in how well Potsdam played and how well they were coached.  In that game Fisher never got into a rhythm and never got started.  Due to this their shooting was abysmal at best.  Potsdam did a great job disrupting their game from the tipoff, and Fisher never seemed to adjust.
They had a couple of close games down the stretch however always figured out how to win.  Their 41 point win over a very good RIT team, with out Mike McGee for 35 minutes of the game showed how important rhythm was to their team.  It was simply an awesome display of basketball.  
Up to the Potdsam game they had run the table... In my humble opinion, they do not deserve to have dropped out of the top ten.  
Interested in your thoughts.....

Pat Coleman

What Top 25 team did St. John Fisher beat all season? Massey has St. John Fisher at 27, which I find pretty interesting.

not josh reed

Fisher beat Springfield who was ranked 19th

not josh reed

and Fisher beat RIT 4 times who beat U of R who is ranked #4. go figure..........

Pat Coleman

was ranked 19th. What are they now that the season is over?  

And two degrees of separation is pretty meaningless, not-Josh.

That's a pretty weak argument.

Mr. Ypsi

The x beat y who beat z games CAN be fun (though silly) - anyone want to meet the challenge of 'proving' CalTech is not only 'better' than UWSP, but 'better' than Illinois?

I bet there is SOME chain that could do it!  http://discus.d3hoops.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif" ALT=":-)" BORDER=0>

Ralph Turner

Cabonney, Massey has #1894 Trinity College of Florida starting an http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?lg=cb#Div III">upset path to #1 University of North Carolina.http://discus.d3hoops.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif" ALT=":-)" BORDER=0>

Penn and the Yalies do it again!

not josh reed

lol, thought I would get a reply during halftime of west viginia/tt.
Is Potsdam a 24 point superior team to Fisher? They were that day in Amherst but I think a second game would be much more even.  
Is Fisher a 41 point superior team to RIT.
It was on Feb 27th  
My argument is simply put, losing one game after running the table should not drop the Cardinals from 4rth to 17th.  
But in closing, in real life I am a pharmacist, not a coach or a basketball analyst, Fisher thanks for the fun this year, D3 hoops thanks for the podting area, and bear, bamm and all thanks for the insights.
Go Vest virginia!!

Pat Coleman

A loss to the only ranked team on the schedule made it happen. Fisher was only ranked so high going into the tournament because it was undefeated.

Old School

First of all, congrats to Jason Kalsow for winning NABC Player of the Year, joining fellow Pointer Amanda Nechuta.  Stevens Point is the only school, in any division, to have men's and women's winners in the same year and the only D3 school to have a Player of the Year in both men's and women's basketball in history. http://www.uwsp.edu/athletics/mbb/04-05/AllAmerican.htm" target=_top> Story  OK, enough bragging!

BedtimeforBonzo,
I guess I'm not totally disagreeing with Trinity's ranking.  They impressed me a lot.  It's not like every team that played Point jumped that many spots! http://discus.d3hoops.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif" ALT=":-)" BORDER=0>  I said it was interesting, not surprising.

Pat,
No, I haven't forgiven Point for losing at home to Superior in 2004, it cost us the WIAC championship!  Well, ok, the National Championship last year helped heal those wounds a little http://discus.d3hoops.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif" ALT=":-)" BORDER=0>.

bamm

Not Josh,

Fisher is simply a tough team to rank, based on the fact they haven't played any other teams that are ranked around them (aside from Potsdam).  Since they lost to the only team around them, I don't have a problem with the Cards being ranked below PSU.  

Personally, I think Fisher is about where they belong (at #17).  They played a schedule that was very favorable to them.  Not a lot of physical teams, a lot of games in the Rochester area.  When they did play a physical team, they got handled.  That's not to say they are a bad team, I think they are top 20, but that Potsdam game was pretty convincing.  Just completely shut down that SJF offense.  

And believe me, as an RIT fan, I know what that Fisher team is capable of.  They were a good team but they ran into a bad matchup.  

That being said, I think Potsdam is underranked.  I was surprised they lost to Rochester, and if they played again I would bet on the Bears.  In my opinion Potsdam should be around the 10 spot.

But finally, back to Fisher, I wish they would have gotten to play more top competition (aside from a decent RIT team, the Potsdam game, and one game against Springfield).  As an RIT fan, I'm glad they beat up Rochester in the Chase, but it would have been nice to see Fisher and UR play.  It's simply very difficult to find an appropriate spot in the rankings for Fisher.

not josh reed

bamm thanks for your thoughts.  Maybe in future years Fisher will work to increase their SOS.  Perhaps an early season game with the local powerhouses such as U of R, Potsdam and Hartwick, (lol couldnt resist) to further improve their program.