Schools with full time assistant coaches

Started by CCHoopster, November 20, 2013, 10:11:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCHoopster

I would love to know the percentage of NCAA DIII schools who have at least 1 full time assistant coach (live-able salary, benefits ect..... not 12k plus a meal plan plus some camp monies) and the correlation to winning if any. Does your school have a full time assistant?

CCHoopster

Schools in my area (Mid Atlanic, PA)

Gettysburg- Yes
York College PA- Yes
Dickinson- Yes
LVC- Not any more (have gone down hill since they lost the position)
Messiah- No
PSU Harrisburg- No
Elizabethtown- No
Albright- Yes
Alvernia- not sure but did a few short years ago.

NEPAFAN

Quote from: CCHoopster on November 20, 2013, 10:14:07 AM
Schools in my area (Mid Atlanic, PA)

Gettysburg- Yes
York College PA- Yes
Dickinson- Yes
LVC- Not any more (have gone down hill since they lost the position)
Messiah- No
PSU Harrisburg- No
Elizabethtown- No
Albright- Yes
Alvernia- not sure but did a few short years ago.
Scranton-Yes
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

John Gleich

Interesting question.

I wonder, though, if "full time" has a different meaning than, say, a salaried employee at a fortune 500 company (where they have just a single role).

For example, one of my college teammates at UWSP, Nick Bennett, is now the top assistant at UW Whitewater. Link

Second to last paragraph in the piece linked above:

QuoteAs an assistant coach, Bennett's duties will include serving as an instructor in the Department of Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Coaching at UW-W.

So, technically, though Nick is a "paid assistant" he has other duties as well such as being an instructor. But this isn't limited to assistants... lots of head coaches teach classes too (his dad was a golf instructor at UWSP, as well as being the head Men's basketball coach).

I'm not sure what percentage of his salary is paid by the basketball program and what percentage is paid by the Department of Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Coaching (if those are separate entities) and I bet it isn't even separated on his pay checks... but there would be a difference for him, as opposed to a coach who was truly a full-time basketball coach (and didn't have any other responsibilities.

This may be taking your question farther than you ever intended... and I think, probably, the answer for UWW would simply be "Yes" but...

By the way, UWSP is a "yes" as well.

Not 100% sure of the other WIAC institutions.
UWSP Men's Basketball

National Champions: 2015, 2010, 2005, 2004

NCAA appearances: 2018, '15, '14, '13, '12, '11, '10, '09, '08, '07, '05, '04, '03, '00, 1997

WIAC/WSUC Champs: 2015, '14, '13, '11, '09, '07, '05, '03, '02, '01, '00, 1993, '92, '87, '86, '85, '84, '83, '82, '69, '61, '57, '48, '42, '37, '36, '35, '33, '18

Twitter: @JohnGleich

smedindy

My take is that many small colleges are 'Yes, but...' where the assistants carry a course load, or direct intramurals, or facilities - like many head coaches. I think there's a mosaic of ways athletics can work. Some athletics programs have part-time or even volunteer HEAD coaches for some teams due to budgets.

hscathletics

Hampden-Sydney has one full-time assistant.